OCR Twenty First Century Science Physics P1-7 *Official Thread 2016*

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebbarn29)
    I think you measure right ascension from vernal equinox
    That's correct. The northern hemisphere vernal equinox is the March equinox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Elmo)
    Right ascention to my knowledge is measured by how far something is across the celestial equator (basically an imaginary line extending from outside the equator), so it is longitude but for space (the across angle). There would be one set point for right ascention somewhere on the earth, not specified i don't think, which would be set as 0 degrees or hours and then you'd go across the celestial equator until you got to the point of the object you're looking for.

Don't know if that makes sense but hope it helps!

Also, topics on the 2015 paper (we did it in class a couple months back):
    - Q1. Telescopes, reliability of results, alien life and neutron star formation.
    - Q2. Good places for telescopes and 6 marker on good/bad of isolated mountain telescopes.
    - Q3. Relationships of data, nothing really on spec.
    - Q4. 6 marker on 'ladder of distances' (parallax, cepheid and hubble's law) and how hubble law depends on other methods.
    - Q5. Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, line spectra, energy transfers in stars and Kelvin to Celsius calculation.
    - Q6. 6 marker on how relationships of pressure, temperature and volume of gas explain how hydrogen fusion begins in a star.
    Right ok thank you for this, that helps

And last year's paper was a bit....bare in terms of topics really. Like there wasn't much actually good P7 topics on it, they seem to have picked the crappy ones.
    I mean why is gas behaviour even in P7 it just doesn't belong.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly my thinking! You probably won't need to know it I presume...

ReputationRep:
    Well that was horrible

ReputationRep:
    Low grade-boundaries for P456 (as per usual, though!):

A* - 36
    A - 29
    B - 22
    C - 16
    D - 10
    E - 7

I'm just so glad that I only did this Physics paper this year (and not P123 nor P7): I got the only one with the incredibly low grade-boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone do on physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mupsman2312)
    A* - got 100 UMS in P123 and P456, and then 86 UMS in both P7 and my coursework
    How did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I got A* overall. 90 UMS on P123, 100 UMS P456, 89 UMS on P7, Coursework 98 UMS

ReputationRep:
    Only sat the P123 and got 87 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    A* - got 100 UMS in P123 and P456, and then 86 UMS in both P7 and my coursework
    How did you do?
    I sat P123 last year, and got 91 UMS;
    This year, I sat P456, and got 100 UMS.

I'm definitely getting better at Science! (Either that, or Additional's just easier!) Since we do combined Science, we did Core Science last year, and Additional Science this year. Overall, I got 27 UMS more in Additional Science. Still absolutely ecstatic about both, though!

ReputationRep:
    I sat P123 last year, and got 91 UMS;
    This year, I sat P456, and got 100 UMS.

I'm definitely getting better at Science! (Either that, or Additional's just easier!) Since we do combined Science, we did Core Science last year, and Additional Science this year. Overall, I got 27 UMS more in Additional Science. Still absolutely ecstatic about both, though!
    That's great, well done!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.