Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims, if your child came out as gay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobalt_)
    So, I've come back to this thread and read through a lot of the responses.

Back story, I'm Bi in a Muslim household.

I generally thought the new generation would be a little bit more accepting of homosexuality, sadly I was proven wrong.
    It seems almost like the newer generation is some what worse in some aspects.

I do hope the few educated Muslims on here who are very respectful and understanding of homosexuality start becoming the mainstream soon. Otherwise we're going to get a lot of "unloved/wanted" children purely based on something they cant control. Surely as a Parent you should be able to accept your children regardless, being a parent comes first. Simple as, if you cant take that responsibility. You're not fit enough to be a parent.

/Rant.
    It does seemed to be that younger Muslims are more likely to hold more traditional interpretations of Islam

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...20jan%2007.pdf

On everything from apostacy to homosexuality to marriage younger generations are more hardline than older ones and less accepting of reform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    It does seemed to be that younger Muslims are more likely to hold more traditional interpretations of Islam

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...20jan%2007.pdf

On everything from apostacy to homosexuality to marriage younger generations are more hardline than older ones and less accepting of reform
    Will read this later, looks pretty interesting. Thanks!

And yeh, its honestly so disappointing. Its actually sickening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitetack)
    im sure at some point theyll realise they miss their daughter more than they want to listen to their imaginary friend
    lol "imaginary friend" I like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Exactly. Degrading a religion has a greater affect then people not accepting homosexuality.

If homosexuals should have the right to love the opposite gender, we have the right to believe what we want. If you publicly degrade my religion, yet want everyone to accept homosexuals you sure are a ****ing hypocrite. Don't agree with a religion. Fine. You can't always have it your way, if you can oppose other people's beliefs they sure damn have the right to oppose what you believe is fine (homosexuality)
    Oh please. Don't associate what I said with your view. Homosexuality is natural. Choosing to be part of a cult is not.

Anyway you should toughen up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UPDATE- My cousin has moved out and cut all ties with her family.

The best of luck to her and her partner. I hope her family comes round to accepting her eventually, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    I feel very sorry for any children who are gay and are born into the families of some of you people. Do you realise that you are going to make your child absolutely miserable by telling them they should hide who they are? If you can't comprehend that then you are selfish really, because when you have a child they come first. It's not important whether you feel uncomfortable or if you want grandchildren, it's about your child's wellbeing... and trust me... it won't be very high when they hear some of the complete **** that is in this thread being spouted at them.
    Doesn't matter if the kid's unhappy, they'll do anything to stick to their archaic beliefs coz of Paradise.

I pity the kids of some of the Muslims on here, they're going to have nutters for parents. As nice as it is to know some Muslims wouldn't care, it's sad to know some Muslims have their head in the 16th century still.

lol she will regret that sooo much
    Cutting all ties with family for one person that could leave her the next day when family have there from day one?
    How unbelievably stupid lmaoo

ReputationRep:
    Cutting all ties with family for one person that could leave her the next day when family have there from day one?
    One person? You missed the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is this a laugh out loud situation? Her family could have just accepted her for who she was. A parents love for their child should be unconditional, and if they have failed in doing that, they have failed as parents.

Don't be a judgmental wimp. You're assuming that my cousin's family have been there for her from day one. They haven't if they called her attention seeking for saying no to wearing a hijab and forced her into doing things she didn't want to do.
    And as for that "one" person who could leave her the next day, she grew up with my cousin and they've been together in a relationship for well over twelve years. My cousin's partner has changed her life more than her family ever will and I'm sure they're meant for each other.

Disgusting that you're siding with the family who chose their archaic beliefs over their own child.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if you would be so cocky and horrible if the anon function didn't exist.

Parents are at fault here. Sad that some parents would choose religion over their own flesh and blood just because the child loves someone of the same gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    What defines them then?
    Their personality, their attitude and beliefs, not if they are gay or straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimrahk123)
    Their personality, their attitude and beliefs, not if they are gay or straight.
    It's part of their personality, attitude and beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Parents shouldn't love their children "conditionally". I'm an ex-muslim and I wouldn't have a problem with my child being gay or lesbian. I just think that it's sad that people can't accept their own children because of their religious, or cultural beliefs. Anyways, I hope that being LGBT+ isn't such a big issue in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It's part of their personality, attitude and beliefs.
    But that isn't all there is to their personality

(Original post by stop888)
    Sad/confused/disappointed. But wouldn't change my relationship with them. I would recommend they don't act on it and stay celibate forever
    I respect your opinion 100%.
    But surely if you 'wont change your relationship with them', you'd allow them to love who they want and protect their freedom to do so, as you would if they were straight? We're all equal in this world, it's not right for a parent to dominate who their child loves, based purely on their sexuality that they didn't even choose. It's a basic human right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimrahk123)
    But that isn't all there is to their personality
    Nope, but it's a part of them and you can judge them for it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but it's a part of them and you can judge them for it.
    Don't you have more valuable things to do in life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UPDATE NUMBER 2- My Muslim aunt and uncle (so her parents) have basically disowned her and banned her siblings from talking to my cousin. She's very upset atm but my side of the family are telling her she'll be ok in the long run because she has a loving partner and a great career.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.