LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konstantinos21)
    Hi! I'm interestes in applying to Oxford but I can't make it to an open day to see what the experience is like because I live in France. Yet, I will be in the U.K. in mid-October and I was wondering where I can find someone to show me around the college and tell me some important things about the university. Thank you for answering
    Hi there,

As a prospective applicant, you are welcome to visit the university any time! If you have a particular college or department you would like to see, then you would need to contact them directly. (They won't show you around the central university buildings, but you can easily visit the Bodleian Library, the museums, etc without any special arrangements.) If you would like to visit LMH then email [email protected] to arrange a tour of our lovely college - we can find you a friendly current student to show you around, and if you give us an idea of what subject you would like to study here then we can try and match you up with a student studying the same

Hope you're looking forward to your visit!India

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi again LMH,
    On the website it says that marked classwork is required for the language you want to study (sole Modern Languages). I have a problem as I'm teaching myself the language at home since the school doesn't offer it, should I get a tutor to mark some of my work and submit that as normal classwork or should I not mark it at all and just submit a piece of writing in the language?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am interested in applying for LMH (Music). I'd like to know more about the tutors & the general music scene in the college and how big the year group is. Would appreciate your reply x.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    Hi again LMH,
    On the website it says that marked classwork is required for the language you want to study (sole Modern Languages). I have a problem as I'm teaching myself the language at home since the school doesn't offer it, should I get a tutor to mark some of my work and submit that as normal classwork or should I not mark it at all and just submit a piece of writing in the language?
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I've had a look into the ins and outs of MFL admissions for this one. I am assuming that if you are self teaching Russian, you will not be receiving an A-Level qualification this coming summer; in which case, you would be admitted to a Russian course as an ab initio student. (Please correct me if I am wrong and you are self-teaching an A-level!) The added complication for this is that Russian sole is not available at Oxford as an ab initio course; it has to be taken with another language in which you've already achieved an A-Level or equivalent qualification. Here is the faculty's webpage for clarity.

If you count as an ab initio student, you would not have to submit work; if you are applying as an A-Level student, you would ideally need to have your work marked by an external tutor - although if this is impossible then make sure you include a note explaining your more unusual circumstances.
    Hope this helps!
    India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprlxo)
    Hi! I am interested in applying for LMH (Music). I'd like to know more about the tutors & the general music scene in the college and how big the year group is. Would appreciate your reply x.

Thank you
    Hi there,

LMH is a great place to be a music student! We have a small music intake of around 3 students per year, but a huge musical community: piano rooms are available for those who need them (with music students taking priority), we have an active chapel choir, and even our own orchestra (student run and shared with Wadham). Tutors in and out of college are incredibly supportive, and our music students really enjoy their time here. The best way for you to get a taste for life as a musician at LMH is to come and visit us! Give Marrium, our outreach officer, a shout - [email protected] if you'd like to arrange something

India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMH OXFORD)
    Hello,
    I've had a look into the ins and outs of MFL admissions for this one. I am assuming that if you are self teaching Russian, you will not be receiving an A-Level qualification this coming summer; in which case, you would be admitted to a Russian course as an ab initio student. (Please correct me if I am wrong and you are self-teaching an A-level!) The added complication for this is that Russian sole is not available at Oxford as an ab initio course; it has to be taken with another language in which you've already achieved an A-Level or equivalent qualification. Here is the faculty's webpage for clarity.

If you count as an ab initio student, you would not have to submit work; if you are applying as an A-Level student, you would ideally need to have your work marked by an external tutor - although if this is impossible then make sure you include a note explaining your more unusual circumstances.
    Hope this helps!
    India
    Hi, I am self taught Russian and am sitting the A level this year (I sat the AS last year). I will get a tutor to mark the work before I send it off then,
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm thinking of applying to read History

I go to a very good school and our average GCSE grade was 6a* and 4As. That is what I achieved at GCSE. At AS level, I did better and achieved 5 As, all with 95%+ (my prediction is A*A*A*). I've been told by lots of people that Oxford cut off people who performed average at GCSE and i'm slightly worried about applying because of this. (I know Oxford don't ask for marks but it's in my reference)

Also, I was wondering that despite going to a private school, I live in an ACORN area which is flagged, and was wondering whether going to a private school but being poor cancel each other out, or will my application remain flagged?

Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the repetitive questions but I'm stressed and uncertain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    Hi!
    I'm thinking of applying to read History

I go to a very good school and our average GCSE grade was 6a* and 4As. That is what I achieved at GCSE. At AS level, I did better and achieved 5 As, all with 95%+ (my prediction is A*A*A*). I've been told by lots of people that Oxford cut off people who performed average at GCSE and i'm slightly worried about applying because of this. (I know Oxford don't ask for marks but it's in my reference)

Also, I was wondering that despite going to a private school, I live in an ACORN area which is flagged, and was wondering whether going to a private school but being poor cancel each other out, or will my application remain flagged?

Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the repetitive questions but I'm stressed and uncertain
    Hi there,

Please be reassured that your GCSE grades will not disadvantage you - Medicine is the only subject where admissions tutors are likely to enforce a harsh "cut-off" for GCSE grades. For most subjects, we say that the average (although yes, "average" is sometimes an unhelpful concept!) applicant has 5-7A* at GCSE - you are right in the middle of that! I can't see how any of your circumstances would disadvantage your application - make sure you focus on producing an interesting, academic personal statement which expresses your interest and enthusiasm for History, and ensure you've looked at the HAT test to familiarise yourself with its format (of course, admissions tests are difficult to "revise" for explicitly). And if you are applying this year, make sure you submit your full application by 15th October!

Best wishes,

India

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks for answering questions here! I just have a quick question - what exactly is the interview structure like at Oxford for joint degrees? My guess is that there are two interviews per subject but I've struggled to find a concrete answer online. If it helps I'm applying for Mathematics and Computer Science.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    LMH's view on applying for deferred entry?

(law)

ReputationRep:
    didn't know oxford did a thread like this too. I want to pursue a maths degree, however I have a weak academic past. From what I hear Cambridge have leniency on Mature students with a weak academic past if there recent academic results are very good. What is Oxfords attitude to this?

If I have A*A*A* in recent A levels or etc would I still be considered or would my A levels from 2004 which were bad and my bad GCSE scores mean I had little to no chance?

does the fact that I am self teaching affect my chances one way or the other as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfbenjamin)
    Hi - thanks for answering questions here! I just have a quick question - what exactly is the interview structure like at Oxford for joint degrees? My guess is that there are two interviews per subject but I've struggled to find a concrete answer online. If it helps I'm applying for Mathematics and Computer Science.

Thanks again!
    This is something that can vary from college to college. But, assuming you're coming to Oxford for interviews, at most colleges you would get one interview in Maths and one in Computer Science; in fact, I think all colleges do things that way. You would also get allocated a second college; they would probably give you a single interview initially, and then call you back for a second interview if it seems sensible. Skype interviews tend to be done differently.

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    LMH's view on applying for deferred entry?

(law)
    Hi there,

LMH considers deferred entry in line with every other Oxford college - it should not have a detrimental effect on your application, providing you specify when you apply that you want to defer. Oxford colleges do not accept deferral after offers have been made/confirmed for the following academic year, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical ones).

India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfbenjamin)

Thanks again!
    Hi there,

The response offered by Gavin is spot on! (Although sometimes second interview colleges will arrange for you to have two separate interviews - it just depends on how they are organising themselves and their tutors.) The key thing for joint degree interviews is that you are required to show a suitable level of potential, dedication, and skill in both of your chosen subjects. If you are invited to a college for interview, you will find that you are guided through the process by a team of friendly student helpers who will make sure you know when and where your various interviews are - so please, don't worry too much!

India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    didn't know oxford did a thread like this too. I want to pursue a maths degree, however I have a weak academic past. From what I hear Cambridge have leniency on Mature students with a weak academic past if there recent academic results are very good. What is Oxfords attitude to this?

If I have A*A*A* in recent A levels or etc would I still be considered or would my A levels from 2004 which were bad and my bad GCSE scores mean I had little to no chance?

does the fact that I am self teaching affect my chances one way or the other as well?
    I know for Maths they don't like large gaps between A-Levels and going to university. Maybe apply after you take these A-Levels. In my opinion, if you applied without them, you wouldn't have a great chance of success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)

Hi there,

Yes we do!

I've copied this statement from the university's central mature student admissions page which I think is a good starting point:

"Tutors at Oxford will take your work experience and life skills into account when you apply, but it’s essential that you have also undertaken formal academic qualifications within the three years before you apply. We need to be sure that you will be able to cope with the demands of academic study at Oxford and that you have the study skills that are so essential to following an undergraduate degree course. Many different academic qualifications would be acceptable." (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...tudents?wssl=1)

This page also has a link to a PDF of the Mature Students guide, which says: "We understand that many students do not perform to the best of
    their ability when they are at school. Tutors here are interested in youracademic ability now, not when you were 18."

So, in answer to your question, your earlier academic record should not have a detrimental effect on your application; just like Cambridge's approach. You are also already studying for formal qualifications, so fit that requirement. In regards to self-teaching A-Levels, if you achieve the required results (and/or more...) then that would also be no issue - if you are looking to apply before receiving these results, however, it may be worth finding a tutor to assess your predicted grades, as this can be quite difficult/biased to do for yourself. Otherwise, your application will be considered in terms of the interest, dedication, and potential that you show for the subject (through independent study, life experiences, or a number of other ways).

Best of luck with your studies & application,
    India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I know for Maths they don't like large gaps between A-Levels and going to university. Maybe apply after you take these A-Levels. In my opinion, if you applied without them, you wouldn't have a great chance of success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

This is broadly true for Maths, where gap years aren't welcomed as much by admissions tutors (although it should be noted that for some candidates, a gap year is necessary for personal reasons/can be used to pursue employment or other experiences which support the ongoing study of Maths, so it's not quite black and white). The admissions process is, understandably, quite different for mature students - there are any number of things a mature applicant could have done between applying to Oxford and leaving school which could benefit their application and general approach to academic study. Since Oxford also stipulates that mature students should have taken formal qualifications in the three years prior to their application, this means that mature applicants do not have a "large gap" in their assessed education. It is a personal choice to apply before or after sitting A-Levels (at any stage) - many applicants would choose to do so after because of the lower pressure associated with an unconditional offer.

Best wishes,
    India

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMH OXFORD)
    Hi there,

LMH considers deferred entry in line with every other Oxford college - it should not have a detrimental effect on your application, providing you specify when you apply that you want to defer. Oxford colleges do not accept deferral after offers have been made/confirmed for the following academic year, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical ones).

India
    How many law offers to LMH generally give?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    How many law offers to LMH generally give?
    LMH takes 5-6 Law students each year (this includes any students studying the Law with European Law course) and has a strong Law community. You can click here for more information on studying Law at LMH.

India

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.