Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, anyone who says otherwise is being selfish. I find most people's reasons for not supporting gay marriage are dubious - mostly based on what some irrelevant 2000 year old bundle of stories says or their own insecurity that they might be secretly gay themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally have nothing against it - If two people want to get married, let them get married.

ReputationRep:
    Don't support it Don't go against it. I really do not care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    For what reasons?

I don't think you should support things on the basis that they love each other, because I doubt that's the basis on which you decide many of your morals, making inconsistent reasoning.

For what reasons?

Why appeal to tradition? Again, I say this because I doubt you use this consistently, making you also a hypocrite.

For what reasons? Are you religious? (I need something to work with.)

For what reasons?

For what reasons?
    I disagree with the concept but I would agree with the he, having the right to get a legal marriage

ReputationRep:
    I don't 'support' gay marriage but I am not against it, it isn't harming anyone so I don't really understand the big debate. Tbh I don't even think marriage is even necessary in the west anymore (whether you're gay or straight). I'm Muslim so obviously I'm going to stay chaste until marriage. From a religious point of view marriage has a purpose. However people now have sex before marriage and remain girlfriend/boyfriend for years and then make a big deal of it when they get married. What's the point of getting married if you were already dating for years and are already having sex or you already have children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    I'm not religious but I think it's wrong. Why change a system that has operated successfully for hundreds of years just because of a small minority?
    Well guess what- in the bible it also says that we should Cut our sons in half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    Well guess what- in the bible it also says that we should Cut our sons in half.
    Your point is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsrsarahhhh)
    I don't 'support' gay marriage but I am not against it, it isn't harming anyone so I don't really understand the big debate. Tbh I don't even think marriage is even necessary in the west anymore (whether you're gay or straight). I'm Muslim so obviously I'm going to stay chaste until marriage. From a religious point of view marriage has a purpose. However people now have sex before marriage and remain girlfriend/boyfriend for years and then make a big deal of it when they get married. What's the point of getting married if you were already dating for years and are already having sex or you already have children?
    I think it is great that you are religious and seem happy with your choice, but I thought you might like to understand the purpose of marriage for an athiest who has already had sex with her partner. I was that person once. Marriage for me was a public declaration of my love for him, and a commitment to put him first in my life. To me, secular marriage is purely for love, which makes it a beautiful celebration of a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)
    Marriage for me was a public declaration of my love for him, and a commitment to put him first in my life. To me, secular marriage is purely for love, which makes it a beautiful celebration of a relationship.
    Marriage in itself, as I seem to point out very regularly, is a civil institution, not a religious one specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    I'm not religious but I think it's wrong. Why change a system that has operated successfully for hundreds of years just because of a small minority?
    It's not changing a system, it's removing boundaries so that more people can participate in the system.

ReputationRep:
    It will be made illegal again in a few years anyway, at least as things stand demographically today.

ReputationRep:
    I don't oppose it as long as it doesn't affect me or my personal life. It's people's choice to do whatever they want with their life and this should be held true considering that we live in a liberal democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    It will be made illegal again in a few years anyway, at least as things stand demographically today.
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    In what way?
    Gay marriage is mainly supported by the white middle class, which as a % of the population is becoming smaller and smaller. Whilst groups that are mainly against gay marriage are growing very fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    Gay marriage is mainly supported by the white middle class, which as a % of the population is becoming smaller and smaller. Whilst groups that are mainly against gay marriage are growing very fast.
    The strongest support for gay marriage is among 18-34 year olds, while the weakest is among the elderly. That suggests the opposite of your claim.

Moreover, I suspect people will simply cease to care. For example, UKIP was the most prominent party to oppose gay marriage becoming law, but since it was passed they've stated they have no desire to repeal it.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently saying "no" with no reasoning is an easy way of farming reps. The more you know...
    (Original post by hoping4thebest)
    There is nothing fanatical about defending traditional marriage.
    There's also nothing logical or well rationalised about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackrosser97)
    if you leave 50 gay people on an island with no communication etc. come back in 100 years. BAM their gone. on a side track i don't really support gay marriage but i'm not against it either, i think its pointless tbh. the whole 'equality' thing has gone to far with soooo many things
    Well no, assuming you leave both lesbians and gay men on they island solutions would be found. Hell it'll probably be a more sensible and efficient system as no one would get pregnant by accident.

Of course their children would probably end up straight, as your sexuality has no relation to that of your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)

Of course their children would probably end up straight, as your sexuality has no relation to that of your parents.
    A certain percentage would end up gay or bisexual, but given enough generations the population would come to resemble what we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    A certain percentage would end up gay or bisexual, but given enough generations the population would come to resemble what we have now.
    Yes that was my point. Parentage doesn't alter one's orientation. The vast majority of lgbt individuals were born to straight parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    Yes that was my point. Parentage doesn't alter one's orientation. The vast majority of lgbt individuals were born to straight parents.
    And the vast majority of lgbt individuals bore straight children. (I think.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.