Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I never understand why people want murderers/sex offenders to face the death penalty. The prospect of rotting in prison for the rest of my life with the stigma of being a sex offender in prison is far more terrifying than me than dying via euthanasia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I don't think anyone has said they have an excuse. They've said that providing them help might prevent it in the first place. Such as y'know, treating your asthma so you're not coughing so much.
    Many have concluded that paedophilia cannot be 'cured', but the paedophile her/himself has the ability to control themselves. Therefore, I think that the death penalty should be used to deter people from carrying out these actions, since that's the harmful part about paedophilia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Calm down you melt. I'm 100% positive paedophilia is down to a genetic defect, it makes sense.

Of course paedophilia is vile, whether you act on it or not... sexually fantasising about children is deplorable.

It's not healthy to fantasise either, a lot of these sick freaks will eventually carry out their acts to some extent. It's in their nature.

You hear loads of stories about guys struggling with their sexuality and trying to contain it but end up either killing themselves or performing a sexual act. Paedophiles aren't any different.
    Then how are they supposed to receive help for this mental illness when there are people like you who will judge them and treat them horribly when they try to get psychological treatment? I read an article in the paper months ago in where this guy who was a law abiding citizen early 20's was struggling with life as he notices he was attracted to children under 16 y/o yet didn't know where to turn to for help due to fear of being stigmatized and treat like a criminal despite doing nothing to act on these feelings. The person himself was disgusted with his own thoughts and just wanted help. So how are these people going to receive help if all they are going to get is hate and derision due to something they can't help. They are so alone in cases like this as there would be no way for them to talk to family or friends about this particular mental illness as it is no way in the same category as depression. We should be trying to get through to these people suffering in silence to provide a safe private place for them to receive help and treatment before they fall and act on these urges. But still throw the book at those who act on them.

Regarding the OPs post I am in the fence with the death penalty as there are days I fell some people really deserve to die yet also understand that there are many who have been wrongly convicted and executed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    he was deemed sane he just had a twisted desire for babies and children and wrote a book for other predators to bypass the law! he is the definition of evil and i don't agree that tax payers money should be spent on his maintenance in a "prison" where tv is permitted
    Paedophilia IS a mental disorder no matter what. The "twisted desire" is the same those who rape other adults feel except directed towards children. It is disgusting to act or even think of doing such an act and in this case I hope the man is severely punished and in all cases such as this, but paedophilia IS a mental disorder and there should be more facilities put in place to help those affected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzaprincess)
    I never understand why people want murderers/sex offenders to face the death penalty. The prospect of rotting in prison for the rest of my life with the stigma of being a sex offender in prison is far more terrifying than me than dying via euthanasia.
    I would agree with you to some extent, but how many of these paedophiles actually stay in there for 'life' or complete their sentence? From the victim's perspective, it must be terrifying knowing that the person who abused you is still alive and could possibly walk out of jail anytime soon to repeat what's already been done. I blame the UK's messy system. And also, looking at it from another point of view, many people may see it as a waste of the taxpayer's money to keep a useless person in society locked up instead of killed. At least if they are killed, it reduces the numbers of these wicked people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    Many have concluded that paedophilia cannot be 'cured', but the paedophile her/himself has the ability to control themselves. Therefore, I think that the death penalty should be used to deter people from carrying out these actions, since that's the harmful part about paedophilia.
    I mean, asthma can't be 'cured' it can only be treated on an ongoing basis.

So I'm unsure what your point is?

Also if the death penalty works, why does the US have one of, if not the highest incarceration rate in the world? A roundabout method for suicide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    I would agree with you to some extent, but how many of these paedophiles actually stay in there for 'life' or complete their sentence? From the victim's perspective, it must be terrifying knowing that the person who abused you is still alive and could possibly walk out of jail anytime soon to repeat what's already been done. I blame the UK's messy system. And also, looking at it from another point of view, many people may see it as a waste of the taxpayer's money to keep a useless person in society locked up instead of killed. At least if they are killed, it reduces the numbers of these wicked people.
    The death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment. Funnily enough the YEARS of lawyers fighting over the death penalty costs a lot more than just putting them in prison and paying a guy to feed them.

Also, the death penalty has only every been an option as an upgrade from life imprisonment. So therefore it would never be used against someone who "won't serve their whole sentence".

If you want to complain about something, complain about prison sentences being too short, not about the lack of a death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    So advocate for improved sentences, not state murder. It's also a myth that the death penalty is cheaper than prison. Have you seen how expensive euthanasia drugs are? In the USA the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. We also know that the death penalty does nothing to deter crime, given the prevalence of high crime rates in areas such as the US, so really it doesn't result in a reduction of wicked people, only short term. What we need is better sentencing, a way of effectively dealing with pedophiles BEFORE they offend by encouraging it to be recognised as a mental disorder that can be treated prior to offences. This is a goal that does not sound appealing to the blood thirsty retributive justice crew in the short term but in the long term, it will work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    What I'm basically saying is that even though paedophilia is a mental disorder, it doesn't mean that the paedophile can use this excuse to go ahead and physically carry out the acts on another individual.
    I don't think anybody is giving pedophiles the go ahead to abuse kids here because it's a mental disorder. What people are trying to say is that is the long run it'll be a far more effective method to encourage people with pedophilic urges to come forward to mental health services BEFORE they offend to get treatment, which is not currently encouraged because it's just considered pure evil (acting on it is, of course, but having uncontrollable urges arguably isn't). What we should be focused on is PREVENTION, not just bloodthirsty murdering all pedos, that is not conducive, it's just a vicious cycle of murder. If more and more pedophiles get treated and in turn can stop offending, less offending, less victims of child sexual abuse - we all win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MotorboatMyGoat)
    What a stupid thing to say. Why would I choose someone killing my child over anything. Did you read what I said
    Uh....you settled on murder through revenge is the lesser of two evils in your first post. Yet now you are saying otherwise. Please point out my misunderstanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libidothief)
    Is there something wrong with wanting people who have raped children which has caused horrible PtSD to suffer? These people have ruined lives. I think it's alright for them to suffer if they've caused even worse suffering themselves.
    Not necessarily feeling as though you want them to suffer but saying they should be beaten or abused in prison is inhumane in my opinion. They will suffer via incarceration and if you want the law to be handed to those who do wrong, expect the same standards for all. You cannot just do as you please - laws exist for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    No. IMO, there is never an excuse for the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    Not necessarily feeling as though you want them to suffer but saying they should be beaten or abused in prison is inhumane in my opinion. They will suffer via incarceration and if you want the law to be handed to those who do wrong, expect the same standards for all. You cannot just do as you please - laws exist for a reason.
    I don't remember saying anything about being beaten or abused in prison. By 'suffer' I mean that staying in prison, less freedom, is what they deserve because it really will make them suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    There is another thread that discusses whether jail guards should be allowed to assault the prisoners. You should join in with that discussion. There are many bad people in this world that ruin others emotionally, physically, mentally. What kind of example do you set when you just want to retaliate with more violence that goes beyond self defence, or induce suffering onto somebody else? What does that achieve?

If you or your family have ever been harmed significantly (I hope this hasn't happened) feelings of rage and wanting to harm the person are quite natural and probably will occur. But it's not right.

It's sadistic.
    Because supporting the death penalty in certain circumstances is the same as wanting vigiliante abuse.

We are not setting any example.. no example is needed for humans flaws and evil to shine through. Tap on the wrist or hot rod in the rectum, monsters will always prey

Your moral superiority is misplaced imo, explain to me how the death penalty is retaliation whereas taking someones liberty and locking them in a 6 by 8 cell for 23 out of 24 hours a day for perhaps the next 50-60 years is not retaliation? If it was solely about keeping dangerous people away from the public, jails would be a little more comfortable wouldn't they?

It doesn't achieve anything more or less than jailing somebody. There are no winners, just losers. Thats how it is. There is nothing to be achieved unless you celebrate the removal of a cancerous member of society. Horrific monsters are inevitable, just remove them from the world upon conviction. Very simple.

Nothing has happened to my family and i am not advocating some very upset and hurt family handing down methods of execution like we are in texas or something.

There are flaws to both arguments but i hate this crap that is regurgitated time and again about how executing awful people for their crimes makes you as bad as them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnoriginalBen)
    It does, revenge is not justice, it doesn't help anyone but instead leaves us in a continued circle of wrong. Explain to me how two wrongs make a right? They don't. Instead it makes you just as bad as the criminal. And everyone has the right to live, if you do not believe that then I think you have some serious moral issues.
    Right so placing someone in a 6 by 8 cell for 23 hours every day for the rest of their pitiful lives (Maybe 60 years+) and depriving them of liberty is justice and moral and not revenge yet executing them is seriously immoral and revenge and supporting it makes you as bad as the child predator / mass murderer lolol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Uh....you settled on murder through revenge is the lesser of two evils in your first post. Yet now you are saying otherwise. Please point out my misunderstanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not all types of revenge are the same jesus Christ. I clearly gave an example of me killing an adult, not a child. How can you compare the two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?
    I don't think a death penalty is right for anything because it's our life to take in the first place tbh but it's arguable. However, that's completely disgusting and unlawful for what the man did like he needs help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Right so placing someone in a 6 by 8 cell for 23 hours every day for the rest of their pitiful lives (Maybe 60 years+) and depriving them of liberty is justice and moral and not revenge yet executing them is seriously immoral and supporting it makes you as bad as the child predator / mass murderer lolol
    haha so true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MotorboatMyGoat)
    Not all types of revenge are the same jesus Christ. I clearly gave an example of me killing an adult, not a child. How can you compare the two
    Ah I see the confusion. "someone killing someone for killing their child" is ambiguous lol.

So you are saying raping a child is worse than killing a criminal. That I can understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    Ah I see the confusion. "someone killing someone for killing their child" is ambiguous lol.

So you are saying raping a child is worse than killing a criminal. That I can understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah Yes. My bad, I thought you were another person wanting an argument.

Peace

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.