Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    yeah the question definetly sed
    what was the force exerted
    on the scale pan
    by the brick
    so do u not find the force on the scale pan the normal reaction of the scale pan as i doubt it wud be the other way around as if so it wud basically bethe exact same as the 2015 paper again
    well that's exactly what I thought and did, but the majority of everyone here has done it the other way so I'm assuming we are definitely wrong. We probably both misread or misunderstood the question? It can happen.

Anyway we would only lose one mark for doing what we did based on the Gold 5 Paper.

M1 A0 A1(ft)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    if you took moments about A and B you would get 2 unknowns which is why they state its on the point of tipping. They expect you to know that so I don't think you would get the method marks for creating an equation around those points.

If you found out the correct answer, they would give you the marks as your method must have been correct to give you that.
    Oh okay. So lost 7 marks for that question then. For question 8, i did 2T^2 to get the resultant force and I got the same answer. Would i get atleast 2 marks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don't cry-craft)
    Oh okay. So lost 7 marks for that question then. For question 8, i did 2T^2 to get the resultant force and I got the same answer. Would i get atleast 2 marks for that.
    if you got the correct magnitude of tension i think you would get 3 out of 4 marks, the final mark comes from stating the direction.

also you could have gotten some of the latter method marks in question 7, examiners can be quite forgiving.

ReputationRep:
    For q4 i stupidly got 32.5 instead of 40 and carried that forward could anyone tell me how many marks i've potentially lost

ReputationRep:
    What exam board even is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suhaylpatel786)
    These are my answers:

1(a) 104, (90+14)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) The 'j' vectors for both are equal, as it is due west.
    800-5t = 20t
    t = 32
    therefore q = 640i + 640j

2(a) T = 20.6N
    2(b) 15.45 N => 15.5 N (3sf)

3(a) Acceleration = -g/8
    velocity after rebound = 3.5
    thus Impulse = 3 Ns

4(a)
    4(b) Area under graph = 975
    Area for slower car for first 25 seconds = 750
    975-750 = 225
    1/2 * b * 30 =225
    b = 15
    total time = 15+25 = 40
    so area under faster car = 975 = 1/2 * (40)(T+40)
    T = 8.75 s

5) μ = 0.73

6) For 1st situation, R(T) = 0
    For 2nd situation, R(S) = 0

M(S) => 0.5M = 30d-15
    M(T) => M = 60 - 15d
    Therefore,
    d = 1.2m
    M = 42kg

7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (this required simultaneous equations)
    (b) V = 12i +5j, thus speed = 13 ms-1

8(a) Fmax = 0.3g
    acceleration = 0.6g
    Tension = 11.76N = 11.8 N (3sf)

8(b) RF = √(11.76)^2 + (11.76)^2 = 16.6
    It has a bearing of 225
    is it fine that i write 3.5N for F2

ReputationRep:
    I wrote the symbol X instead of lambda for question 7a, would I lose marks, I got everything else right including the answer.

Also, for question 3, when doing F=ma, I didn't calculate or include friction in my equation but did everything else, how many marks would I get? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    if you got the correct magnitude of tension i think you would get 3 out of 4 marks, the final mark comes from stating the direction.

also you could have gotten some of the latter method marks in question 7, examiners can be quite forgiving.
    Thank you. Do you know how the marks for the moment question will be broken down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anyin)
    is it fine that i write 3.5N for F2
    the question asked to find F2, if you found it out before you calculated the magnitude, you would get full marks. Im not sure how many marks you would get if you put just that, but certainly most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don't cry-craft)
    Thank you. Do you know how the marks for the moment question will be broken down?
    finding d

1 mark for eqn of mom s
    1 mark for eqn of mom t
    1 mark for solving together
    1 mark for d

1 mark for subbing d into m
    1 mark for answer
    and another mark in the second part somewhere here

this is what i think based on past questions anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarunN)
    I wrote the symbol X instead of lambda for question 7a, would I lose marks, I got everything else right including the answer.

Also, for question 3, when doing F=ma, I didn't calculate or include friction in my equation but did everything else, how many marks would I get? Cheers
    7a you can pick whichever constant you want, as long as you get the value of F2

im not sure how question 3 marks would be broken down, but if i were to guess then

1 mark for finding acceleration
    1 mark for finding final velocity
    1 mark for calculating impulse
    1 mark for final answer
    1 mark for magnitude
    maybe some A1 marks sprinkled in there somewhere

its a difficult question to say as its the first of its kind, i thought that question should have been worth maybe 8 or 9 marks compared to the other questions that were easier and had more marks

ReputationRep:
    got 66marks does anyone know what ums this wud be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    got 66marks does anyone know what ums this wud be
    calculate your UMS here, its not completely accurate.

its more skewed as well if you get high or low marks
    and you need to guess what the grade boundarie for an A would be

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=649874

ReputationRep:
    Is there error carry forward marks?

ReputationRep:
    not a clue, personally I would say 64 for an A, others have been claiming lower, but I think that would be wishful thinking.
    In the last 2 years, it was 59 and 58, why would it suddenly go up 5 marks? Last years wasn't much harder than this paper.

ReputationRep:
    ALL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED - CLICK ON THE MODEL ANSWERS TAB!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

How many marks should I give myself?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When using an approximation such as 'g', your answers should be to three or two significant figures or you lose one 'A1' mark.
    Generally, every equation you form is worth a mark (that doesn't mean you can write random equations and get marks, they have to be part of the steps to get the answer)
    If you got your final answer wrong, either post in the comments how many marks you think you should get, or look up previous questions that are similar by googling 'edexecel m1 questions by topic', choosing your topic and then press CTRL + F to find a question with similar marks. Look at how the marks have been distributed and compare it to the question.
    Finally, mark it twice first harshly and secondly generously so you give yourself a range of possible marks, for example 59-63 marks earned.
    Question 1: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1(a) 104, (3 marks)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j (3 marks)
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) Q = 640i + 640j (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 2: (6 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2(a) T = 20.6N or 21N (3 marks)
    2(b) 15N or 15.5N (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 3: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 Ns (7 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 4: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4(a) (4 marks)

4(b) T = 8.75 s (8 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 5: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    μ=0.73 or μ=0.727 (10 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 6: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    d = 1.2m (4 marks)
    m = 42kg (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 7: (11 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (7 marks)
    (b) 13 ms-1 (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 8: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8(a) T = 11.8 N or 12 N(8 marks)

8(b) = 16.6 N or 17 N
    It has a bearing of 225
    or
    45 degree angle between horizontal plane and vertical rope
    or
    draw a diagram and annotate angles (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images).

Question Bank: (simplified)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question One:
    Q has velocity (20i-5j) and starting position (800j). P has velocity (15i+20j) and starting location (400i).

a) Find the bearing of Q.
    b) i) Find the location of P and Q at time = t.
    c) Find the location of Q when it is west of P.

Question Two:
    A scale pan of 0.5kg carries a brick of 1.5kg and is attached to a vertical rope. The body is accelerating upwards at 0.5m/s/s.
    a) Find the tension in the rope.
    b) Calculate the force exerted by the scale pan onto the brick.

Question Three:
    A particle of mass 0.4kg collides with a wall at a speed of 4m/s and rebound back 5m before stopping. The coefficient of friction on the ground is 1/8. Calculate the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the wall onto the particle.

Question Four:
    A car M overtakes car N at 40m/s at point A and travels for T seconds before uniformly decelerating to 0m/s at point X. Car N travels at 30m/s for 25 seconds before decelerating uniformly at the same point. AX = 975m.
    a) Draw a speed-time graph of both cars on the same graph.
    b) Find the value of T.

Question Five:
    Particle of mass 2kg on slope inclined to ground at 20 degrees. Being pushed up a rush surface by force of 4 N at angle of 30 degrees to slope. Calculate mew.

Question Six:
    Non-uniform rod of length AB has length 6m and mass 30kg. It has two supports S and T, where AS = 0.5m and TB=2m. When a particle of mass M is placed at A, the rod is at the point of tipping around S. When a particle of mass M is placed at B, the rod is at the point of tipping around T. The distance between A and the center of mass is D.
    a) Find D
    b) Find M

Question Seven:
    F1 = (-i + 2j) F2 same direction as (i+j). Resultant of F1 and F2 has same direction as (i+3j). The resultant of F1 and F2 has acceleration (3i+9j) and initial velocity (3i-22j).
    a) Calculate F2
    b) Find the velocity of the resultant of F1 and F2 and t=3.

Question Eight:
    Mew = 1/5. Particle A is on a horizontal plane and has mass 1.5kg. Particle B is on a verticle rope and hangs with mass 3kg. Both are connected to a pulley so that the angle between them is 90 degrees. A is to the left of B.
    a) Find Tension
    b)Find magnitude of tension on pulley
    If you want to try and calculate your UMS score, try this:I hope you all did well!
    Which exam board is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackhawkins21)
    My teacher reckons it will be
    A=60
    A*=66
    70=100ums
    You can't get an a* for mechanics 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hareemfatima)
    Which exam board is this?
    edexcel

ReputationRep:
    You are so considerate for doing this. God bless you.

ALL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED - CLICK ON THE MODEL ANSWERS TAB!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

How many marks should I give myself?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When using an approximation such as 'g', your answers should be to three or two significant figures or you lose one 'A1' mark.
    Generally, every equation you form is worth a mark (that doesn't mean you can write random equations and get marks, they have to be part of the steps to get the answer)
    If you got your final answer wrong, either post in the comments how many marks you think you should get, or look up previous questions that are similar by googling 'edexecel m1 questions by topic', choosing your topic and then press CTRL + F to find a question with similar marks. Look at how the marks have been distributed and compare it to the question.
    Finally, mark it twice first harshly and secondly generously so you give yourself a range of possible marks, for example 59-63 marks earned.
    Question 1: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1(a) 104, (3 marks)

1(b) p = (400+15t)i + (20t)j (3 marks)
    q = (20t)i + (800-5t)j

1(c) Q = 640i + 640j (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 2: (6 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2(a) T = 20.6N or 21N (3 marks)
    2(b) 15N or 15.5N (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 3: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    3 Ns (7 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 4: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4(a) (4 marks)

4(b) T = 8.75 s (8 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 5: (10 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    μ=0.73 or μ=0.727 (10 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 6: (7 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    d = 1.2m (4 marks)
    m = 42kg (3 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 7: (11 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    7(a) F2 = 2.5i + 2.5j (7 marks)
    (b) 13 ms-1 (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Question 8: (12 marks)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    8(a) T = 11.8 N or 12 N(8 marks)

8(b) = 16.6 N or 17 N
    It has a bearing of 225
    or
    45 degree angle between horizontal plane and vertical rope
    or
    draw a diagram and annotate angles (4 marks)

Model Answer Below
    Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images).

Question Bank: (simplified)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question One:
    Q has velocity (20i-5j) and starting position (800j). P has velocity (15i+20j) and starting location (400i).

a) Find the bearing of Q.
    b) i) Find the location of P and Q at time = t.
    c) Find the location of Q when it is west of P.

Question Two:
    A scale pan of 0.5kg carries a brick of 1.5kg and is attached to a vertical rope. The body is accelerating upwards at 0.5m/s/s.
    a) Find the tension in the rope.
    b) Calculate the force exerted by the scale pan onto the brick.

Question Three:
    A particle of mass 0.4kg collides with a wall at a speed of 4m/s and rebound back 5m before stopping. The coefficient of friction on the ground is 1/8. Calculate the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the wall onto the particle.

Question Four:
    A car M overtakes car N at 40m/s at point A and travels for T seconds before uniformly decelerating to 0m/s at point X. Car N travels at 30m/s for 25 seconds before decelerating uniformly at the same point. AX = 975m.
    a) Draw a speed-time graph of both cars on the same graph.
    b) Find the value of T.

Question Five:
    Particle of mass 2kg on slope inclined to ground at 20 degrees. Being pushed up a rush surface by force of 4 N at angle of 30 degrees to slope. Calculate mew.

Question Six:
    Non-uniform rod of length AB has length 6m and mass 30kg. It has two supports S and T, where AS = 0.5m and TB=2m. When a particle of mass M is placed at A, the rod is at the point of tipping around S. When a particle of mass M is placed at B, the rod is at the point of tipping around T. The distance between A and the center of mass is D.
    a) Find D
    b) Find M

Question Seven:
    F1 = (-i + 2j) F2 same direction as (i+j). Resultant of F1 and F2 has same direction as (i+3j). The resultant of F1 and F2 has acceleration (3i+9j) and initial velocity (3i-22j).
    a) Calculate F2
    b) Find the velocity of the resultant of F1 and F2 and t=3.

Question Eight:
    Mew = 1/5. Particle A is on a horizontal plane and has mass 1.5kg. Particle B is on a verticle rope and hangs with mass 3kg. Both are connected to a pulley so that the angle between them is 90 degrees. A is to the left of B.
    a) Find Tension
    b)Find magnitude of tension on pulley
    If you want to try and calculate your UMS score, try this:I hope you all did well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miless090)
    In the last 2 years, it was 59 and 58, why would it suddenly go up 5 marks? Last years wasn't much harder than this paper.
    ive actually no idea, im just repeating what other people who sound intelligent have said

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.