Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelrachel1990)
    thanks for your reply! Decided to phone them this morning for clarification but as i thought, my auxiliary nursing doesn't count. They said that basically any course that is assessed can count as academic endeavour. So gamsat, foundation programmes, a-levels, open uni short courses, etc. You have to have proof of enrolment, and to have finished the course by the time you start your medical degree.
    don't mother****ing paaanniiiiiic!

ReputationRep:
    I think the whatdotheyknow responses are often false because I found another question asking for the ukcat scores of applicants who got an offer for the 2015/2016 cycle and this was the response:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...heet.xlsx.html

ukcat scores according to that reaches as low as 580

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musawy)
    I think the whatdotheyknow responses are often false because I found another question asking for the ukcat scores of applicants who got an offer for the 2015/2016 cycle and this was the response:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...heet.xlsx.html

ukcat scores according to that reaches as low as 580
    The whatdotheyknow responses are in relation to a request under the Freedom of Information Act so the University will have a legal responsibility to make sure the information is as accurate as possible.

In terms of the lowest UKCAT scores it may depend what question has been asked. If the question is asking about the general UKCAT cut off for most applicants to receive an offer the answer will probably be higher than 580. If the question asks for a list of all UKCAT scores for people receiving offers, then it will include applicants under the Widening Participation Partners Programme, which has lower thresholds for successful applicants. You will also most likely see that some of the lower UKCAT scores also received lower interview scores,and their conditional offer is usually lower too, for the same reason. To apply under this programme you need to satisfy certain eligibility criteria.

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anyone started preparing for interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from an MBBS support assistant saying they are processing 3,600 applications! Would that include both A100 and A101 courses or just A100 do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, did anyone get a second acknowledgement email from an MBBS support assistant? 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    Just got an email from an MBBS support assistant saying they are processing 3,600 applications! Would that include both A100 and A101 courses or just A100 do you think?
    pretty sure it´s both as I applied for A101 and got the same email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayasparkles)
    (Original post by L.Khan)
    Hey, did anyone get a second acknowledgement email from an MBBS support assistant? 🙂
    I got it as well

Do bear in mind that there is no longer the Durham route, so that's why there seems to be so many more applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I got it as well

Do bear in mind that there is no longer the Durham route, so that's why there seems to be so many more applicants.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions...ATdata2015.pdf

There was the same-ish number of applicants (3610) for A100 and A101 combined at N + D for 2016 entry so it's roughly comparable

ReputationRep:
    The email suggested it only relates to A100 - a significant increase in applications this year - means ratios goes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahCroydon)
    The email suggested it only relates to A100 - a significant increase in applications this year - means ratios goes up!
    "3,600 applications for 343 places"

343 places = 219 + 99 (from what was Durham) + 25 (A101).

ReputationRep:
    People applying to A101 received the same email, its for both

ReputationRep:
    Regardless ratio has gone up from 7.9 applicants per place to 10.5

ReputationRep:
    you reckon that UKCAT score cut offs will shoot up then??

ReputationRep:
    I will be surprised if they dont

ReputationRep:
    I will be surprised if they dont
    How can you possibly know what the ratios are when you don't know how many applied for A100 and how many for A101?
    Last year nearly the exact same number of people applied for both courses combined and the cut off wasn't particularly high. I don't know where you got those figures from but the "overall" ratio (which is fairly meaningless) last year was 10.5 applicants per place, the same as this year, and for A100 alone it was 8.1. The ratio for A101 was 41 applicants per place and I imagine it will be similar this year which obviously skews the figures.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i may be a bit dumb here... but
    from what i understand all the places from durham have been shifted to newcastle ..so its not like we are competing for less spots. its the same amount of spots as last year, and the applicants were approx 3600 last year too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedna)
    How can you possibly know what the ratios are when you don't know how many applied for A100 and how many for A101?
    Last year nearly the exact same number of people applied for both courses combined and the cut off wasn't particularly high. I don't know where you got those figures from but the "overall" ratio (which is fairly meaningless) last year was 10.5 applicants per place, the same as this year, and for A100 alone it was 8.1. The ratio for A101 was 41 applicants per place and I imagine it will be similar this year which obviously skews the figures.
    sorry i may be a bit dumb here... butfrom what i understand all the places from durham have been shifted to newcastle ..so its not like we are competing for less spots. its the same amount of spots as last year, and the applicants were approx 3600 last year too?

so the ratios can't have shifted that much right?

sorry i know i may be asking a super super dumb question.

ReputationRep:
    The UK medical school council quote the 7.9 ratio and WhatDoTheyKnow disclose 1911 applications in 2015 FACT!

ReputationRep:
    The UK medical school council quote the 7.9 ratio and WhatDoTheyKnow disclose 1911 applications in 2015 FACT!
    I assume you're referring to this:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-811407
    That figure is for the Newcastle campus for A100 only. The figure on the email is for both courses and includes applicants who "would have" applied for Durham. Therefore that is the wrong statistic to be using.
    Even if you took that figure to be accurate for the purposes of this, do some maths and you'll see that for 219 places at the Newcastle campus last year, the ratio there would have been 8.7.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.