Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    1. Brilliant example of the kind of disgusting snobbery that probably lost your side the referendum. Going by that logic, why not do away with general elections as well?

2. Blatant sensationalism. We're an important country and we're in other organisations like the UN and NATO. To suggest we suddenly have no influence on the world stage because we voted to leave the EU is ridiculous.

3. And a majority of the eligible electorate who voted wanted to leave.
    But are we really an important country on the world stage?
    I agree that with u about the snobbery part but when we look at what's happening after Brexit is it really what the Brits have wanted, I mean France has now overtaken us as the fifth largest economy because of the devaluation of pound. The pound dropped ~8% one day in days where 1% is considered appalling.
    As far as your point goes about influence on world stage by your logic France is now more influential on world stage than us because they have got a bigger economy and are part of UN and NATO just like us
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jake4198)
    I think those on the left who say that Britain is moments away from an economic apocalypse need to stop being so hysterical. The markets are actually looking pretty decent at the moment and the pound recovered somewhat from the initial crash. Unlike in 2007, the Bank of England is well prepared to provide capital to vulnerable sectors of the financial economy and the IMF and the EU are hellbent on ensuring the UK does not go into an economic recession.

However, those on the right who think it will end of the UK's problems are strongly misinformed. Immigration from afar, especially the Middle East, was not necessarily a problem caused by the EU. Calais was the biggest problem in regards to non-EU migration to the UK and now the Calais jungle will probably be now in the UK. I find it sad that some, a minority but some, also chose to leave out of blind-nationalism and closet-racism. However, I do blame the left for an incessant inability to talk about controversial issues like immigration and multiculturalism, as it alienated the working class vote.

Now the vote's over, it's so important we all come together and make the best of what we have. I'd actually be open to the Norway/ Switzerland option - being out of a political union but being a member of an economic one. We should have a referendum on that.
    £250 billion of BoE support committed in 1 day = 29 years of EU net contributions.

But yes, we really do need to keep on keeping on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    To be fair - Osborne kind of over egged it with his predictions that we would all be £4k worse off. The sh1t is indeed starting to rain down, but when I have family saying they might vote to leave because Cameron told them to stay, kind of sums up the sad state of affairs UK politics is these days.
    Agree with u on Cameron point but in all fairness the did win an all party majority in the general election and as far as orbornes prediction go we did loose more money as an economy in hours following Brexit than we could ever save by not being in the EU but, u are right in saying that he exaggerated. However, if Brexit wouldn't have happened then we could've blamed remain for their incorrect claims but since leave won there campaign on basis of incorrect claims that's why Brits are angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    I doubt there'll be another referendum but I think it is a good way to show that people aren't pleased with the result. It weakens the mandate of Brexit. It's one of those things that unlikely to lead anywhere but that's worth a try anyways.

Also most MPs don't want to leave the EU so they might try push for another referendum with the support of the people.
    But you can't please everybody in these things so whether we hold 1 or 20 more referendums some people will not be happy with the result. I can understand people being unhappy with the result but the downright nastiness some people are sprouting is, quite frankly, disgusting - on both sides. We're meant to be a civilised nation but you wouldn't think so with some of the comments being passed.

(Original post by Rlove95)
    The people have spoken and they're divided. Leave won by a margin of 4%. Although 51.9% of the UK voting population want to leave the EU, you have to remember 48.1% don't. The margins are far too close for you to say 'the people have spoken'. The 'people' aren't united into one body.
    And you'll never get a unanimous vote - people will always have different opinions. Although I do kinda feel sorry for Scotland, they choose to remain in the UK (and were told if you left they might struggle to remain in the EU) and then get dragged out by us a couple of years later.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    To be fair - Osborne kind of over egged it with his predictions that we would all be £4k worse off. The sh1t is indeed starting to rain down, but when I have family saying they might vote to leave because Cameron told them to stay, kind of sums up the sad state of affairs UK politics is these days.
    £250 billion / 64 million people = £3,900 per person

Looks like Osborne was correct.

ReputationRep:
    Signed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    1. Brilliant example of the kind of disgusting snobbery that probably lost your side the referendum. Going by that logic, why not do away with general elections as well?

2. Blatant sensationalism. We're an important country and we're in other organisations like the UN and NATO. To suggest we suddenly have no influence on the world stage because we voted to leave the EU is ridiculous.

3. And a majority of the eligible electorate who voted wanted to leave.
    Why do you people dismiss everything with "scare mongering" "sensationalism" and "snobbery"? The fact of the matter is you people are in denial and are constantly having to argue against logic, and the best you can do is come up with insults. I'm not denying a majority of the people eligible to vote wanted to leave, I'm saying they are stupid for doing so and half of them don't know or care about the consequences. Just because a bunch of uninformed electorate decided to do something doesn't make it a good decision. Iceland and Greece are in the UN and NATO would you call them influential countries?

Tell me what have we actually gained by leaving the EU? I can't think of one single thing, when we leave we'll be forced to sign a trade deal that will ensure more money goes to Brussels and that will still allow the free movement of workers. We'll still have to abide by many of the laws in the EU. Nothing will have changed. We just would've lose Scotland and Ireland, our economy will be worse, we'll have no influence in the laws of the EU, and companies like Google and Amazon will be setting up shop and pouring money into Germany rather than England. And we'll have a worse PM. I'd rather have people in Brussels who actually know what they're doing making laws then Gove and Boris who would love to reduce minimum wage, get rid of paid and maternity leave, increase university fees, privatise the NHS, and ruin the education system. All of which the EU prevented them from doing. But hey it was all worth it to prevent someone from Romania who was willing to do jobs no one else is getting free health care right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    Has a city in a country wanted independence recently?

The only recent example I can think of is Catalonia wanting independence from Spain, would be interesting how that would work
    Catalonia isn't a city.

ReputationRep:
    If you want 16/17 year olds to vote because if affects them more why shouldnt newborns be able to vote?

ReputationRep:
    Its gonn surpass 1 million signatures jeez

ReputationRep:
    I signed. Don't give up until the fat lady sings...

The UK has to trigger article 50 before it can negociate to leave.Before that trigger we need a "leave" government.The "leave" government is split hopelessly totally out, EEA'ers and the 48% who want to stay.It might take ages for this government to thrash out a political position.They then might take it to a general election on the issue BEFORE they trigger article 50.They then might lose that election.

KEEP FIGHTING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    You have no idea how stupid you sound. How the **** would a newborn even be able to vote
    With a pencil or crayon maybe.

ReputationRep:
    1 million. Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    With a pencil or crayon maybe.
    I think you'd see quite a few dirty protests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    I think you'd see quite a few dirty protests.
    At least they wont cry for another referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    At least they wont cry for another referendum.
    Not yet, anyway. Give them time.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe its almost on 1 million already. Though I doubt it'll come to fruition, it will be interesting to see if the number of signatures exceeds the amount of people that Brexit won by :holmes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jneill)
    £250 billion / 64 million people = £3,900 per person

Looks like Osborne was correct.
    The money is not coming from the tax coffers but rather borrowing by the BOE against its assets.

Nobody is a penny poorer for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Can't believe its almost on 1 million already. Though I doubt it'll come to fruition, it will be interesting to see if the number of signatures exceeds the amount of people that Brexit won by :holmes:
    Since remain won 15 million votes, it would still be pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Since remain won by 15 million votes, it would still be pointless.
    If everyone votes we can actually beat the Britx referendum vote - just keep on going - nothing is over until the fat lady sings...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.