The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

I got into Reading to do Maths. Required ABB with A in maths. I got BBCD (B in maths) and was accepted without any problems. It is possible so don't be disheartened unless you're going for a top 15 institute. I've now just finished second year and the difference between my friends who got the requirements and myself is nothing.
You said a level results day is in July but it's in August
@metrize
Thanks so much for pointing that out - that's my error and I've fixed that now! Have July on the brain :facepalm:

Thanks for your help @jneill :h:
Original post by Abcjelliee
I got into Reading to do Maths. Required ABB with A in maths. I got BBCD (B in maths) and was accepted without any problems. It is possible so don't be disheartened unless you're going for a top 15 institute. I've now just finished second year and the difference between my friends who got the requirements and myself is nothing.

That's awesome :h: And really glad to hear you're doing so well.
Idk though. I'm hearing all these success stories but manchester were explicit on nice maths and physics grades for civil engineering. I need AAB in any 3 of my subjects.

I'm 99% sure i got a B in maths (thanks C3).

But for Biology and Physics I either got 2 A's or 2 B's. It depends on what i got for my AS retakes. I'm sure i got A*s on at least 2 of the 4 A2 exams across the 2 subjects. The problem is that due to everyone cheating on the ISAs and raising grade boundaries, I'll probably need an A in the AS units up make up for it. *sigh*.

All i know is i cba to look go to my insurance (Exeter). I guess I'll be looking at colleges on results day. Even if i get into uni, I'm still retaking maths while doing my degree. My pride won't allow me to accept a B

Congrats to everyone who was still accepted into uni though
(edited 7 years ago)
I applied at Kingston University and their requirement was only for me to pass my current business course. Sadly when I got back my grades I got two passes and a failed subject. I am very very worried because I wanted to study at Kingston and honestly the current college I'm in back at home is not serious with their courses. Is there any hope for me ?
Original post by Second_Beauty
I applied at Kingston University and their requirement was only for me to pass my current business course. Sadly when I got back my grades I got two passes and a failed subject. I am very very worried because I wanted to study at Kingston and honestly the current college I'm in back at home is not serious with their courses. Is there any hope for me ?

Only Kingston can tell you this.
Original post by Second_Beauty

Hi,
From the 18th August out clearing applications are open so you can apply through there. I would also give your course leaders a ring and see what they think.

Emily
Student ambassador
Hello, I am an international student from the US. Bristol offered me a condition of 5 on any one of three AP exams; however, I received three 4's instead. I noticed that my course was on UCAS Clearing a few days ago, still available; however, upon double checking today it has disappeared from clearing. Does Bristol usually accept students who have narrowly missed their offers, and does anyone know when final decisions are issued to international/USA students? Same day as UK students (Aug 18 Results day) or earlier? I am getting a little worried as I still have visas and flight tickets to arrange. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by bylam14
Hello, I am an international student from the US. Bristol offered me a condition of 5 on any one of three AP exams; however, I received three 4's instead. I noticed that my course was on UCAS Clearing a few days ago, still available; however, upon double checking today it has disappeared from clearing. Does Bristol usually accept students who have narrowly missed their offers, and does anyone know when final decisions are issued to international/USA students? Same day as UK students (Aug 18 Results day) or earlier? I am getting a little worried as I still have visas and flight tickets to arrange. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bristol, and all universities, won't know their full situation until Results Day (actually a bit before because they get the A-level results few days before students do). If you are borderline they won't be able to confirm your situation until Results Day.

It's presence or not in Clearing doesn't tell you anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Bristol, and all universities, won't know their full situation until Results Day (actually a bit before because they get the A-level results few days before students do). If you are borderline they won't be able to confirm your situation until Results Day.

It's presence or not in Clearing doesn't tell you anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. I thought there might be a possible correlation between a course's presence in Clearing and the possibility of acceptance of a near-miss, because, if they are in clearing, that means they have more vacancies and therefore will more likely accept near-miss applicants. But it also does make sense that its presence won't tell me anything as the uni might gamble for students with higher results to apply during clearing rather than take in near-miss students who have already firmed the course as their top choice.
Original post by bylam14
Thanks for your reply. I thought there might be a possible correlation between a course's presence in Clearing and the possibility of acceptance of a near-miss, because, if they are in clearing, that means they have more vacancies and therefore will more likely accept near-miss applicants. But it also does make sense that its presence won't tell me anything as the uni might gamble for students with higher results to apply during clearing rather than take in near-miss students who have already firmed the course as their top choice.

There are many reasons for some courses being in early Clearing, most of which have no impact on individual offer holders :smile:
Original post by bylam14

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4200042&page=2&p=66312696#post66312696
@PQ

I'd really appreciate your input.

Last year I misses my grades for Cambridge (firm) and Durham (insurance), achieving 38 with 765 HL in the IB. I was rejected by both on the day after A Level results day. Cambridge advised that I retake three subjects, take an A Level and reapply. I submitted on UCAS that I would take two A Levels, an EPQ and resits. I was subsequently rejected by Cambridge pre-interview.

I received offers from Durham (8th January), Bristol (24th October) and UCL (10th January). I had to take an assessment for UCL, which I did in mid-December. I submitted UCL as my firm (offer = 39 with 19 overall at HL and a 6 in Maths) and Bristol as my insurance, which is unconditional. My degree at UCL would be BASc Liberal Arts and Sciences with Societies as my major and at Bristol would be MLibArts. I checked with them before dropping out of college and both unis were OK with it.

For a variety of reasons, I dropped out of college in January. I continued to pursue the resits in English HL and Maths SL. After taking a month and a half hiatus after college due to personal reasons, I began working full time and now have a role at Selfridges in London in the jewellery department.

I was not expecting my resits to be overwhelmingly positive. This has not been a good year for me. My results now stand as follows:

39 diploma points
7 HL History
7 HL English
5 HL French
7 SL Geography
6 SL Physics
5 SL Maths (3 scaled marks from a 6)

Last year I had issues with the marking of my exams; all of my internal assessments were moderated down substantially and I had almost every paper remarked because everything was so close to the grade boundary. My EE was moderated down from an A to a C. All of my 7s are strong 7s with 80%+ and in some cases 90%+ raw mark in the papers. I have submitted the Maths papers for remark, but am not expecting this to go up. Last year I was one scaled mark from a 6 and it did not increase after remark. My school also did not let me redo my Maths IA.

I have also completed the Cambridge reading list for HSPS and have dented the UCL reading list for BASc. I love my subject and am considering Academia as a serious career potentiality.

I would like to know if you think there is any chance that UCL will still consider me. For many reasons, leaving London is no longer a positive option for me and I will probably go somewhere through clearing if I fail to get into UCL. This is particularly in light of the fact that I substantially decreased my promised workload after dropping out of college. UCL are not aware of the reasons for me dropping out - I told them that it was in pursuit of other opportunities.

I would really appreciate your insight and any advice you might have. Thank you.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I have also completed the Cambridge reading list for HSPS and have dented the UCL reading list for BASc. I love my subject and am considering Academia as a serious career potentiality.

Hopefully PQ can deal with your specific question, but I was just curious about your course choice. What made you pick BASc over other degrees UCL offers which are much more akin to Cambridge's HSPS degree?
@PQ

I'd really appreciate your input.

Last year I misses my grades for Cambridge (firm) and Durham (insurance), achieving 38 with 765 HL in the IB. I was rejected by both on the day after A Level results day. Cambridge advised that I retake three subjects, take an A Level and reapply. I submitted on UCAS that I would take two A Levels, an EPQ and resits. I was subsequently rejected by Cambridge pre-interview.

I received offers from Durham (8th January), Bristol (24th October) and UCL (10th January). I had to take an assessment for UCL, which I did in mid-December. I submitted UCL as my firm (offer = 39 with 19 overall at HL and a 6 in Maths) and Bristol as my insurance, which is unconditional. My degree at UCL would be BASc Liberal Arts and Sciences with Societies as my major and at Bristol would be MLibArts. I checked with them before dropping out of college and both unis were OK with it.

For a variety of reasons, I dropped out of college in January. I continued to pursue the resits in English HL and Maths SL. After taking a month and a half hiatus after college due to personal reasons, I began working full time and now have a role at Selfridges in London in the jewellery department.

I was not expecting my resits to be overwhelmingly positive. This has not been a good year for me. My results now stand as follows:

39 diploma points
7 HL History
7 HL English
5 HL French
7 SL Geography
6 SL Physics
5 SL Maths (3 scaled marks from a 6)

Last year I had issues with the marking of my exams; all of my internal assessments were moderated down substantially and I had almost every paper remarked because everything was so close to the grade boundary. My EE was moderated down from an A to a C. All of my 7s are strong 7s with 80%+ and in some cases 90%+ raw mark in the papers. I have submitted the Maths papers for remark, but am not expecting this to go up. Last year I was one scaled mark from a 6 and it did not increase after remark. My school also did not let me redo my Maths IA.

I would like to know if you think there is any chance that UCL will still consider me. For many reasons, leaving London is no longer a positive option for me and I will probably go somewhere through clearing if I fail to get into UCL. This is particularly in light of the fact that I substantially decreased my promised workload after dropping out of college. UCL are not aware of the reasons for me dropping out - I told them that it was in pursuit of other opportunities.

I would really appreciate your insight and any advice you might have. Thank you.

Ring UCL on Monday and ask if they are going to accept you with the grades you have. They're the only people who can comment on whether they will accept you or not.
Original post by Snufkin
Hopefully PQ can deal with your specific question, but I was just curious about your course choice. What made you pick BASc over other degrees UCL offers which are much more akin to Cambridge's HSPS degree?

I liked the science component and the breadth and flexibility of the course. Even when applying to Cambridge, I knew it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. I applied more for the sake of it rather than because I was enamoured by the course. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved it, but I think BASc has that something extra.

Original post by PQ
Ring UCL on Monday and ask if they are going to accept you with the grades you have. They're the only people who can comment on whether they will accept you or not.

I spoke with them on Wednesday and they said that I'm a 'near-miss applicant'.
I liked the science component and the breadth and flexibility of the course. Even when applying to Cambridge, I knew it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. I applied more for the sake of it rather than because I was enamoured by the course. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved it, but I think BASc has that something extra.

I spoke with them on Wednesday and they said that I'm a 'near-miss applicant'.

Oh right, I see. Other than the science component, I would have thought that ESPS would have suited you better... but never mind. Personally I think BASc is a bit too vocational-orientated for my taste but if you like the look of it, I hope you find a way to do it.

No idea what they mean by 'near-miss applicant', but you have nothing to lose by speaking to them again and making a case for why they should accept you despite your maths grade. Could you ask if there's another assessment or essay you could do to show your commitment?
Original post by Snufkin
Oh right, I see. Other than the science component, I would have thought that ESPS would have suited you better... but never mind. Personally I think BASc is a bit too vocational-orientated for my taste but if you like the look of it, I hope you find a way to do it.

No idea what they mean by 'near-miss applicant', but you have nothing to lose by speaking to them again and making a case for why they should accept you despite your maths grade. Could you ask if there's another assessment or essay you could do to show your commitment?

I never actually considered the ESPS course 🙈 I went straight for BASc. It actually would have been ideal for me to apply to that and put it as my insurance if I was given an offer because it would have been unconditional. Ah well. What do you mean by vocational? I thought it was the opposite - yoi can go on to do anything.

That's a really good idea actually. Writing an essay would also be a good opprtunity to show that I actually have read all these books too, rather than just saying it. I did send them an email highlighting all my module marks and suggesting that the 6 in physics is an indicator of mathematical ability. I also sent my module options early on purpose - before results day - and added a sort of mini personal statement outlining why I wanted to do each module. Thank you for the advice, I'm definitely going to do that.

Edit: By near-miss, I think they mean that they'll assess my case further when they get the A Level results in. They did say that they will let me know for sure on A Level Results Day. However, the same thing happened last year and I received two rejection, although Cambridge did put me in the summer pool.
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you mean by vocational? I thought it was the opposite - yoi can go on to do anything.

Well the core modules (which make up half your degree) seem to be quite career-orientated, giving you skills rather than specific subject knowledge. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have thought that only doing 4.5 units (37.5% of your degree) in a major subject would be enough if you wanted to take that subject to postgrad. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending