Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoyouEden?)
    Mixed race born in England and learnt 2 languages myself
    What age did you learn all 5 languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    What age did you learn all 5 languages?
    Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14

ReputationRep:
    Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14
    So do you think in English most of the time?

ReputationRep:
    So do you think in English most of the time?
    Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English
    Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?

ReputationRep:
    Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?
    Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now
    So altogether you can think in 5 languages, right? No others, right?

ReputationRep:
    So altogether you can think in 5 languages, right? No others, right?
    Yep but like words or sentences from other languages that I have heard I can also think those in my head but like I have to force myself to do it, I won't automatically think them because obviously I don't fluently know them

ReputationRep:
    Yep but like words or sentences from other languages that I have heard I can also think those in my head but like I have to force myself to do it, I won't automatically think them because obviously I don't fluently know them
    But how many languages can you think in fluently?

ReputationRep:
    But how many languages can you think in fluently?
    All 5 of the ones I know, my Korean is a bit iffy ngl but I still can think in it naturally

ReputationRep:
    All 5 of the ones I know, my Korean is a bit iffy ngl but I still can think in it naturally
    So all bilinguals can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    So all bilinguals can think in 2 languages?
    I don't think so, I think it depends on the individual, my brother can't think in German or Urdu and he can't speak them very well at all cause he refuses to lol. However I think most bilinguals are able to think in 2 languages

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I speak englisn fluently (even better than my mother tongue) yet I tend to think in my mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macromolecular)
    Yeah, I speak englisn fluently (even better than my mother tongue) yet I tend to think in my mother tongue.
    What languages can you think in?

Can you guys visit this forum please. Thanks!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post67929090

ReputationRep:
    What languages can you think in?
    Greek 😬

ReputationRep:
    Greek 😬
    Can you think in English?

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in English?
    Haha! Yeah but I find myself 'thinking' more in Greek.*

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Yeah but I find myself 'thinking' more in Greek.*
    Can you think in Greek?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.