Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoyouEden?)
    Mixed race born in England and learnt 2 languages myself
    What age did you learn all 5 languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    What age did you learn all 5 languages?
    Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14

ReputationRep:
    Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14
    So do you think in English most of the time?

ReputationRep:
    So do you think in English most of the time?
    Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English
    Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?

ReputationRep:
    Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?
    Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now
    So altogether you can think in 5 languages, right? No others, right?

ReputationRep:
    So altogether you can think in 5 languages, right? No others, right?
    Yep but like words or sentences from other languages that I have heard I can also think those in my head but like I have to force myself to do it, I won't automatically think them because obviously I don't fluently know them

ReputationRep:
    Yep but like words or sentences from other languages that I have heard I can also think those in my head but like I have to force myself to do it, I won't automatically think them because obviously I don't fluently know them
    But how many languages can you think in fluently?

ReputationRep:
    But how many languages can you think in fluently?
    All 5 of the ones I know, my Korean is a bit iffy ngl but I still can think in it naturally

ReputationRep:
    All 5 of the ones I know, my Korean is a bit iffy ngl but I still can think in it naturally
    So all bilinguals can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    So all bilinguals can think in 2 languages?
    I don't think so, I think it depends on the individual, my brother can't think in German or Urdu and he can't speak them very well at all cause he refuses to lol. However I think most bilinguals are able to think in 2 languages

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I speak englisn fluently (even better than my mother tongue) yet I tend to think in my mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macromolecular)
    Yeah, I speak englisn fluently (even better than my mother tongue) yet I tend to think in my mother tongue.
    What languages can you think in?

Can you guys visit this forum please. Thanks!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post67929090

ReputationRep:
    What languages can you think in?
    Greek 😬

ReputationRep:
    Greek 😬
    Can you think in English?

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in English?
    Haha! Yeah but I find myself 'thinking' more in Greek.*

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Yeah but I find myself 'thinking' more in Greek.*
    Can you think in Greek?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.