Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just waiting for the impending protest marches which will then turn into violence and rioting. And then when the police rightly start dealing with them, they'll play victim.

ReputationRep:
    Will tuition fee loans increase with the tuition fees charged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rayofsunshine98)
    Will tuition fee loans increase with the tuition fees charged?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you go beyond the headline figure about fees being raised and take a closer look, the increase isn't that bad really.

Fees were set at £9000 in 2012.
    They are now being raised to £9250, 4 years later.
    A £250 increase means that over the past 4 years the average increase has been £62.50 a year. £250/4.
    £62.50/£9000 means that the increase has been a mere 0.069% each year since 2012.
    This is, as yet, a one-off increase of 0.27%.
    Whether you take the overall figure of a £250 (a 0.27%) increase on £9000 since 2012 or divide it by 4 to work out the average yearly increase since 2012 (0.069%), the increase has been below inflation, which currently stands at 0.3%, according to the BBC.
    The increase therefore is not a big one in my view.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    If you go beyond the headline figure about fees being raised and take a closer look, the increase isn't that bad really.

Fees were set at £9000 in 2012.
    They are now being raised to £9250, 4 years later.
    A £250 increase means that over the past 4 years the average increase has been £62.50 a year. £250/4.
    £62.50/£9000 means that the increase has been a mere 0.069% each year since 2012.
    This is, as yet, a one-off increase of 0.27%.
    Whether you take the overall figure of a £250 (a 0.27%) increase on £9000 since 2012 or divide it by 4 to work out the average yearly increase since 2012 (0.069%), the increase has been below inflation, which currently stands at 0.3%, according to the BBC.
    The increase therefore is not a big one in my view.
    Except, they use RPIX, which is higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will the international fees also rise ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    International fees generally rise with inflation every year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    Cambridge 2017 fees for Group 4 (engineering) will be £25,275, up 5% on 2016. Excluding college fee...

But then again the GBP forex rate is in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Doesn't seem like an issue to me, in fact I don't even see how this affects me.

At the end of the day all this does is track tuition fees for the universities performing at an adequate level with inflation (i.e. in real terms the fee is the same) and doesn't for universities that aren't performing (i.e. their fees get eroded by inflation). Win-win situation.

The only time we as prospective and current students should start panicking is when the repayment terms are drastically changed - till then, it's all just noise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by edothero)
    A majority of CS grads tend to assume just because they have a 2.1/1st that they can waltz into any company and secure a job within weeks, when in reality jobs like Software Engineering (i.e techincal jobs that CS grads usually go into) require a portfolio; much like architecture.
    A company like Google will take someone who doesn't have a degree but a good portfolio, loads of projects and hours under their belt over a CS grad with little or no experience, any day of the week.

As a result of our CS grads usually having little experience, jobs are snapped up by either self-taught programmers who acutally bother to take part in projects or attend hackathons. Or internationals *cue the immigrants are taking our jobs line* :laugh:

Mind you, I think CS education in this country is a shambles anyway. Far better in the USA.
    I'll be starting CS at KCL this Sep. :rofl:
    KCL? Wot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Alicemidgetgem)
    Can I just ask, will this actually affect current students that much in terms of debt?

I mean you pay back your debt once you are earning roughly £21,000 or more and the amount you pay back depends of your wages rather than the amount of debt you are in. This means that you are paying the money back over a longer period of time but I thought that the debt is written after thirty years (apparently people only pay back 40% of their debt)....surely this means that the government is going to be paying for the tuition fee increase if people are going to be paying back a set amount anyway?

I hope you all understand what I mean?
    You understood it perfectly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    KCL? Wot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup rejected by UCL and Imperial, quite harsh.

Not too fussed though, KCL has one of the best tech society's in the UK. Good chance to get some experience on my CV
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by edothero)
    Yup rejected by UCL and Imperial, quite harsh. I wonder if I'm gonna be the first student that the KCL Comp Sci department take that has A*A* in maths and further maths. Considering the official reqs are AAB with a B in maths.

Not too fussed though, KCL has one of the best tech society's in the UK. Good chance to get some experience on my CV
    Fair play, I'm not knocking KCL at all! Was just curious as to the change from UCL/Imperial.

You'll smash it regardless anyway dude, you've got a great attitude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Fair play, I'm not knocking KCL at all! Was just curious as to the change from UCL/Imperial.

You'll smash it regardless anyway dude, you've got a great attitude

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers
    Best of luck to you also!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by neal95)
    It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance
    Erm...perhaps it's because they'll be the ones paying it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Erm...perhaps it's because they'll be the ones paying it back.
    They have to pay maintenance loans back aswell....students literally get fees paid for at the entry point of studies....its lunacy, complaining at free money and very favourable terms
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by neal95)
    They have to pay maintenance loans back aswell....students literally get fees paid for at the entry point of studies....its lunacy, complaining at free money and very favourable terms
    Yeah, "free money" they have to pay back, which will also increase anyway because of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yeah, "free money" they have to pay back, which will also increase anyway because of interest.
    It's estimated that only forty-something percent of people will pay the full amount back, so the fifty-something percent who don't are likely to be given free money essentially

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    It's estimated that only forty-something percent of people will pay the full amount back, so the fifty-something percent who don't are likely to be given free money essentially

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of interest where is that figure from? I've heard 11% is more accurate so I'm just interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Out of interest where is that figure from? I've heard 11% is more accurate so I'm just interested.
    This article in the daily mail (not the best source, I know) says 73% will have their loan wiped http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ear-limit.html

I think different studies have come up with different numbers but the fact remains that for some people, going to uni is essentially being given free money

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.