The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing an EPQ this year? Completing one in my gap year, looking to find something anthropological.
    Interested to see what others may be doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zari7861)
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!
    5 AS levels is a lot of work, but you could always just try it out and see how it goes, then drop one if you want to (presuming your school lets you do that). You will get frees, just not as many as your friends, and frees are pretty much essential to keeping on top of your workload. If you think you can manage with doing a lot of your homework at home then go ahead with 5.

Languages for medicine... Aren't a lot of the medical terms based on Latin? Like I only know this from reading interviews with Casualty actors so it's not very reliable but it might make things easier to remember for you if you do Latin. That being said, Latin is a dead language. So it really depends on whether you want a language you can use to talk to people and stuff or a language that's more of a building block, if that makes sense.

Good luck this year by the way, regardless of what you choose to do

(Original post by nzbe)
    Anyone doing an EPQ this year? Completing one in my gap year, looking to find something anthropological.
    Yeah I'm going to do one on the Japanese national anthem and whether it accurately reflects the national identity of the Japanese people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nzbe)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely unrelated to what you're planning on doing, but my question for my EPQ is "Why do all countries not use the same legal system?" ^^

ReputationRep:
    I start Year 13 this week!!! Crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    5 AS levels is a lot of work, but you could always just try it out and see how it goes, then drop one if you want to (presuming your school lets you do that). You will get frees, just not as many as your friends, and frees are pretty much essential to keeping on top of your workload. If you think you can manage with doing a lot of your homework at home then go ahead with 5.

Languages for medicine... Aren't a lot of the medical terms based on Latin? Like I only know this from reading interviews with Casualty actors so it's not very reliable but it might make things easier to remember for you if you do Latin. That being said, Latin is a dead language. So it really depends on whether you want a language you can use to talk to people and stuff or a language that's more of a building block, if that makes sense.

Good luck this year by the way, regardless of what you choose to do

Yeah I'm going to do one on the Japanese national anthem and whether it accurately reflects the national identity of the Japanese people
    Thank you! Yeah so I think I'm going to begin with 5 and then if I find it too much, I will drop a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you start tomorrow?
    I start on Tuesday, and I sort of can't wait to start, but I'm sort of dreading it :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    Do you start tomorrow?
    I start on Tuesday, and I sort of can't wait to start, but I'm sort of dreading it :eek:
    I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you start tomorrow?
    Me, too! I really need to make sure I get good grades, and I'm already all kinds of stressed about how I'm going to turn my grades around. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I heard that my school is using the same timetable as last year for my year, and i really hope it is...
    It means we're applying to university and whatnot and it's dead scary, but we'll manage it, maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    Me, too! I really need to make sure I get good grades, and I'm already all kinds of stressed about how I'm going to turn my grades around. 😂
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Having gotten good grades that really don't count for much, i need to make sure i don't get complacent and end up with Us
    But we can definitely manage to get good grades this year

ReputationRep:
    Having gotten good grades that really don't count for much, i need to make sure i don't get complacent and end up with Us
    Fingers crossed! Although Spanish will be the death of me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you start tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I start on Wednesday :argh: Have my UKCAT Monday, Interview with school on tuesday (about predictions, aims after sixth form, what I am dropping, raw marks and advice etc) then school wow this week is just so great (!). I actually want to go back too, to see everyone and actually not being bored out of my mind haha, although the work not so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    Fingers crossed! Although Spanish will be the death of me
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    If anyone can do it, you can

(Original post by isabella1999)
    I start on Wednesday :argh: Have my UKCAT Monday, Interview with school on tuesday (about predictions, aims after sixth form, what I am dropping, raw marks and advice etc) then school wow this week is just so great (!). I actually want to go back too, to see everyone and actually not being bored out of my mind haha, although the work not so much
    Ooh, good luck for your UKCAT!
    I think seeing everyone will be one of the highlights

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to work 10x or more harder this year, but I'm also going to try to not stress myself out else I will be put off doing the work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe i start year 13 on thursday :eek:, absolutely dreading finding out my grade predictions

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to work 10x or more harder this year, but I'm also going to try to not stress myself out else I will be put off doing the work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know I'm going to be stressed out regardless, so i may as well work hard and get good grades out of it :lol:
    That said, I'm going to try enjoy myself more, hopefully I'll pass my driving test soon and be able meet up with friends easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)
    Can't believe i start year 13 on thursday :eek:, absolutely dreading finding out my grade predictions
    This is me!! I think getting uni offers will be somewhat interesting....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1999)
    Just buy your teacher chocolates to bump up your grade prediction!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Just buy your teacher chocolates to bump up your grade prediction!
    I just charm them with some banter

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting tomorrow bright and early with a meeting with my head of sixth form about which subject I'm actually dropping and how annoyed my family is about them messing me around with what I can and can't drop...

Should be fun!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.