Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Nisha's successful alevel Journey ! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hi there and thank you 😊 Haha it is and no school isn't not going too harsh it's all good
    That's good! I do biology chemistry and maths for my HLs so I understand the struggle :P Which subject do you find the hardest so far?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starstudent7)
    Well done, I have a biology and maths test on Tuesday too Where did you get the past paper questions?
    Thanks I've got a maths test on Thursday I get them from the website and for maths places like maths genie or physics and maths tutor
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    That's good! I do biology chemistry and maths for my HLs so I understand the struggle :P Which subject do you find the hardest so far?
    I find economics the hardest What about you ?

ReputationRep:
    I find economics the hardest What about you ?
    Maths, I think. I get 7s but I need to work quite a bit to achieve the same % as in chemistry (favourite <3 ) or biology. English (my SL class) is also a bit tough!

You have some interesting revision techniques. I usually just read my notes and the book and then write flashcards...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    Maths, I think. I get 7s but I need to work quite a bit to achieve the same % as in chemistry (favourite <3 ) or biology. English (my SL class) is also a bit tough!

You have some interesting revision techniques. I usually just read my notes and the book and then write flashcards...
    Sure you will achieve it if you work hard

ReputationRep:
    Hey Nisha is this correct: (Its about biology staining - I'm really confused by the topic)
    Most images produced by LM is usually low in contrast. This is because most components of the object doesn't absorb light (its transparent.)

For example: The components within cells are mostly transparent (.g. cytosol - liquid interrior) therefore they cant absorb light at diferent degrees, hence the image of the cell produced is low in contrast.

We use dyes called stains to bind to specific components within cells at different degrees. Therefore the use of staining improves the contrast of images as it makes the object components more visible - so the cell's organelles can be identified.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Hey Nisha is this correct: (Its about biology staining - I'm really confused by the topic)
    Most images produced by LM is usually low in contrast. This is because most components of the object doesn't absorb light (its transparent.)

For example: The components within cells are mostly transparent (.g. cytosol - liquid interrior) therefore they cant absorb light at diferent degrees, hence the image of the cell produced is low in contrast.

We use dyes called stains to bind to specific components within cells at different degrees. Therefore the use of staining improves the contrast of images as it makes the object components more visible - so the cell's organelles can be identified.
    Yes that's right

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's right
    Thanks!
    What limits the resolution of the light micrscope?
    and
    How would you define resolution in the exam?

Sorry for lots of questions - Microscopy is soooo annoying
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Thanks!
    What limits the resolution of the light micrscope?
    and
    How would you define resolution in the exam?

Sorry for lots of questions - Microscopy is soooo annoying
    Haha no worries

1. The wavelength of light also the magnification
    2. this should be at the back of your textbook in the glossary section but it's the ability to distinguish two objects from each other.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no worries

1. The wavelength of light also the magnification
    2. this should be at the back of your textbook in the glossary section but it's the ability to distinguish two objects from each other.
    Thanks! Do you need to knw that the diffraction of light also affects resolution?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I've got a maths test on Thursday I get them from the website and for maths places like maths genie or physics and maths tutor
    Oh ok thanks Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks Good luck
    Thank and you too

(Original post by Harold98)
    Good luck
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE 03/09/16:
    I've actually managed to do some work after a very long time. This summer i haven't done much at all in terms of revision but hey i had to take a break

1. Biology - I've learnt a new topic about microscopes, I used youtube and a textbook from the library to consolidate my knowledge. Tbh, this topic is very interesting i hope all the other topics are interesting - I doubt. But, looking at the rest of the pages looks terrifying

2. Chemistry - I've learnt a new topic about sub-shells. Again, I've used youtube and the textbook and again it's very interesting.

3. Maths - I've gone over few topics from C1.

4. Economics - I'm using a website called physicsandmathstutor.com to help me go through some topics but i need a teacher and a textbook to help me understand even more.

I shall update you guys sometime soon but for now adios pals. Sixth form is starting in 3 days !!

you lats updated at something 12 now its 3 so the last update when you did thid thread was on 12/08/16 not very lately been updating a lot LOL
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Update 08/11/16:

Hope your all well. So far this week I've been revising for my C1 mock for maths - I've been doing past papers,going through each topic and doing questions from each topic.

As well as that I've also had a chemistry test on bonding so hoping to get that back next week. It went well so let's hope I get a good mark 😀

Quite a short update really I know it's only the start but this week is quite chill I also don't have school on Friday which is great !! Anyways that's it and au revoir 👋🏼

ReputationRep:
    Update 08/11/16:

Hope your all well. So far this week I've been revising for my C1 mock for maths - I've been doing past papers,going through each topic and doing questions from each topic.

As well as that I've also had a chemistry test on bonding so hoping to get that back next week. It went well so let's hope I get a good mark 😀

Quite a short update really I know it's only the start but this week is quite chill I also don't have school on Friday which is great !! Anyways that's it and au revoir 👋🏼
    Good luck for your C1 mock. What exam board for Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Good luck for your C1 mock. What exam board for Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    THAnk you I do edexcel you ?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck I had my biology test yesterday and it went good although I found one question hard My maths test got moved to next tuesday when I also have my chemistry november mock on Thursday So I have to revise for both How are you finding Bonding in Chem, we just started and its quite confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Me too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good luck I had my biology test yesterday and it went good although I found one question hard My maths test got moved to next tuesday when I also have my chemistry november mock on Thursday So I have to revise for both How are you finding Bonding in Chem, we just started and its quite confusing!
    Thanks That's good Ah ok and we've finished it and i think it's ok and i've also done a test on it Which part do you find confusing ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 21, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.