Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stop doing terrible degrees! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    And this is comes from a History student...
    An Oxford history student, yes. It's not as if I'd struggle to get such a job.

Interest is a matter of perception - though it'd require some intelligence and critical faculty in order to understand that. Why don't you trot off to your oh so fulfilling desk job.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    An Oxford history student, yes. Interest is a matter of perception - though it'd require some critical faculty in order to reach that conclusion.
    You were eagerly waiting to whip out the 'Oxford' sassiness weren't you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AppleB)
    That's soooooo cool!!!
    Do you sign up for it?
    You have to apply for it like any other grad scheme/job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An Oxford history student, yes. Interest is a matter of perception - though it'd require some critical faculty in order to reach that conclusion.
    Wow, you're an Oxford student?! Congrats. Still, I don't see how this is relevant here.

Yes, yes, of course interest is subjective and so on. It's just funny that you resorted to that lazy stereotype of the City being full of anonymous, blank-faced and dull business people doing obscure business things all day when it is anything but that. I thought it would be appropriate to hit back with an equally misleading stereotype about how History is commonly perceived.

Edit: Love how you added that "I can get a job anytime I want" sentence after I quoted you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You were eagerly waiting to whip out the 'Oxford' sassiness weren't you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's shorthand for 'I know what I'm talking about'.

ReputationRep:
    You have to apply for it like any other grad scheme/job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    and they allow primary teachers?
    Or no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Wow, you're an Oxford student?! Congrats. Still,don't see how this is relevant here.

Yes, yes, of course interest is subjective and so on. It's just funny that you resorted to that lazy stereotype of the City being full of anonymous, blank-faced and dull business people doing obscure business things all day when it is anything but that. I thought it would be appropriate to hit back with an equally misleading stereotype about how History is commonly perceived.
    You resorted to the stereotype of the dull humanities student stuck behind a desk in a library. I'm not sure that counts as witty social critique*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    and they allow primary teachers?
    Or no...
    You can find out about it if you read their site

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You resorted to the stereotype of the dull humanities student stuck behind a desk in a library. I'm not sure that counts as witty social critique*
    You did the exact same about the corporate environment - only that you did that first. But I imagine that your Oxford History degree must give you full authority to comment on the City
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fyi, I have a few friends at Ox and the ones who use the 'I can get a top job easily' line usually don't. Word of warning tis all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can find out about it if you read their site

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok
    Thank you for making me aware of this programme!!

ReputationRep:
    That's soooooo cool!!!

Do you sign up for it?
    Research JET yourself before you decide to go that route.

You also might find it strange that so many people can't speak English in Japan despite lots of teachers going over to teach. This is because the course structure is terrible but you have to stick to it. Unfortunately you don't know where you'll get placed and the pay isn't as good as it used to be. You need to have a degree (doesn't really matter what it's in), this is a requirement for JET but you'll be using pretty basic English.

Some people seem to really like being an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) because they really like Japan and just want to live there and teaching in schools seems nice.

With JET you can only be an ALT, or do do something else which is international relations, this is just meeting people from other countries.
    You don't need to know Japanese to teach English there (learn it though to actually get around and meet people because so many people won't speak English with you - they feel that their English is bad ).

If you're not Japanese you get treated as something akin to being a celebrity and you may find people staring at you (in a nice way), the vast majority of people are very nice to foreigners in Japan (as long as you're not Korean or Chinese ) and won't care if you don't know about certain ways of doing things or if you talk loudly on buses or trains, etc. Japan is also very safe and Tokyo is very clean, though the apartments are tiny (if you care about that sort of thing). If you get placed somewhere else you may end up living in a bigger place.

Because you're a foreigner becoming a full teacher in Japan can be very hard so keep that in mind.
    Not trying to discourage you but just giving you some things that people generally won't tell you
    You can contact other people who've done JET online if you want to know more too (some people really like it).

Aside from JET there are other teaching programmes but I don't know people who have done those, JET's the most popular one and seems the safest bet if you want to teach in Japan.

EDIT: This person talks about some of the things I've discussed here plus some other good information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhEqPuUlQE

ReputationRep:
    I think the main point and problem with this situation regarding "good" and "bad" subjects is that people are not thinking ahead and grabbing opportunities to aid their future.
    I went to multiple open days at universities and in the best ones I have noticed a rejuvenation of advertising of placement options and constant encouragement for work experience and CV building. For example, at LSE Economics they stressed that they are constantly presenting internship opportunities and networking sessions so that the graduates can plant the seeds they need to advance in life after university. Greenwich Law pushed their students to as many interview practices and work experience events as possible, landing them places at J P Morgan and the like. I've heard of STEM graduates failing to get a highly esteemed career out of their degree simply because they avoided seeking career opportunities throughout the duration of their studying.
    Meanwhile, I have also picked up that some Law students missed out on being lawyers because they missed the fundamental requirement test that had to be applied for in the first year. I don't know what exactly it was, but the point here is that people work hard to get into the degrees they study but don't work hard for the future proceeding their degree.
    The main problem is the lack of foresight and the point is to be more aware of opportunities and being proactive in career building if that is something one wishes to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sketchymofo2)
    you can get that at mac Donald's to be honest. if your over 25 and a crew trainer on overnights but that's the extreme end of it.

i don't think every degree if useless (yes there are some that make no sense) just that there are a lot of people going to do them but don't really think about after the degree and get lost in the here and now and not getting the most out of it.
    You can get up to £13 an hour doing HCA work and you certainly don't need a degree for that. You don't even need NVQ's in Health and Social care to get that, just experience and a few vaccinations

ReputationRep:
    Well done you can get 3 As! You must be a genius!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ryanzmw)
    Well done you can get 3 As! You must be a genius!
    Lol +1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Good
    - Engineering
    - Medicine
    - Dentistry
    - Veterinary Science
    - Mathematics
    - Physics
    - Chemistry
    - Economics
    - Accounting
    - Nursing
    - Computer Science
    - Law

Bad
    - English
    - History
    - Gender Studies
    - Media Studies
    - Cultural Studies
    - Biology
    - Sociology
    - Psychology
    - Languages
    - Theology
    - Sport Science
    - Business
    - Design
    You know what? Your thinking makes me think that you just don't think a little far the horizon. The faculties you named bad are actually one of those that bring people huge money. So my saying is, do any subject, as long as you love it and aim to become a professional, because any kind of professional is appreciated, even a teacher can become successful and, what's more important, happy. I want to pursue Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Celtic studies, and creative writing, but then I want to become a professional narrative designer with this experience (I already am a narrative designer and every kind of writer, by the way). So don't tell lies to people and let them arrange their lives as they please. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    You making this thread isn't gonna stop people doing 'stupid' degrees

ReputationRep:
    read this
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2605814

ReputationRep:
    or this
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ng-job-8552487

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.