The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I know the pain. I kinda feel that villages which are out of the way, but less than a mile from the next nearest village, shouldn't be serviced, and just walk.
    That still has to service every other village in that case though, and if you've got more than 2 villages on a route, it's unlikely that the route is going to change massively, except for just not stopping in certain villages. Then what about the elderly who rely on the bus to get into town etc - can't be driven, and are in wheelchairs, or can't walk very far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Try living in rural Kent and having to get a bus costing £15 to get to the station beforehand and THEN paying £50 to go the 40 miles to London.
    See, 40miles costs us about £12 (excluding discount cards) with a monopoly state controlled railway system.

Feel sorry for people using English public services, absolute tragedy hitting the poorest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    That still has to service every other village in that case though, and if you've got more than 2 villages on a route, it's unlikely that the route is going to change massively, except for just not stopping in certain villages. Then what about the elderly who rely on the bus to get into town etc - can't be driven, and are in wheelchairs, or can't walk very far.
    The elderly shouldn't live in those villages.

Also, trust me, it can be a pretty big time difference. Makes a 20 minute journey into a 45 minute one when I go and visit my parents.

ReputationRep:
    The elderly shouldn't live in those villages.

Also, trust me, it can be a pretty big time difference. Makes a 20 minute journey into a 45 minute one when I go and visit my parents.
    Why shouldn't they? Maybe they've got ties in that village, or they aren't able to move for financial reasons... It's not for you to say they should be kicked out because it's a little inconvenient for you.

I highly doubt that by driving pretty much the same route, but not stopping at half the stops would halve the journey time.

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't they? Maybe they've got ties in that village, or they aren't able to move for financial reasons... It's not for you to say they should be kicked out because it's a little inconvenient for you.

I highly doubt that by driving pretty much the same route, but not stopping at half the stops would halve the journey time.
    Why does the same argument not apply to villages which don't have a bus service? I'm not saying they should be kicked out, I'm saying that there shouldn't be an obligation to provide a bus service to people who choose to live in out-of-the-way tiny places. It's a balanced decision.

The route in question mostly goes along a 60mph limit road (which dips only when going through villages), but the three villages out of the way involve about a mile down a bumpy, tiny road each way, often having to wait significant amounts of time for a tractor to drive past etc. It very quickly adds up.

ReputationRep:
    Why does the same argument not apply to villages which don't have a bus service? I'm not saying they should be kicked out, I'm saying that there shouldn't be an obligation to provide a bus service to people who choose to live in out-of-the-way tiny places. It's a balanced decision.

The route in question mostly goes along a 60mph limit road (which dips only when going through villages), but the three villages out of the way involve about a mile down a bumpy, tiny road each way, often having to wait significant amounts of time for a tractor to drive past etc. It very quickly adds up.
    Not at all, however, removing a bus service from somewhere is entirely different from one not being serviced by one.

Absolutely, but that's IF the route specifically takes you off a main road. If it's a very rural area, then it's quite possible that there isn't a bypass to the village, and so if that's the case, then just not stopping there won't make much difference.

ReputationRep:
    *tut tut* lying about a fantastic British company - Jeremy and Labour just aren't getting any better are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37167700

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, however, removing a bus service from somewhere is entirely different from one not being serviced by one.
    In what sense? Surely the question remains the same: 'should this village have a bus service?' The status quo is irrelevant (considering setup costs are minimal).

Absolutely, but that's IF the route specifically takes you off a main road. If it's a very rural area, then it's quite possible that there isn't a bypass to the village, and so if that's the case, then just not stopping there won't make much difference.
    yeah, sure. That's why what I propose would have fairly limited application.

ReputationRep:
    In what sense? Surely the question remains the same: 'should this village have a bus service?' The status quo is irrelevant (considering setup costs are minimal).

yeah, sure. That's why what I propose would have fairly limited application.
    Whilst of course it does happen, and should to an extent, it's not as simple as saying, let's just cut every other stop out of the route. If 10 elderly people use each stop 1 mile apart for 5 stops, then I think it's unreasonable to cut out 2 or 3 of those stops, meaning 20 or 30 elderly people would have to walk (maybe hobble or crawl?) a mile to the next stop. Obviously if 1 person a week uses a stop, then yeh, get rid of it....

What's your proposal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    *tut tut* lying about a fantastic British company - Jeremy and Labour just aren't getting any better are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37167700

I saw that, and it's ****ing hilarious xD

ReputationRep:
    Whilst of course it does happen, and should to an extent, it's not as simple as saying, let's just cut every other stop out of the route. If 10 elderly people use each stop 1 mile apart for 5 stops, then I think it's unreasonable to cut out 2 or 3 of those stops, meaning 20 or 30 elderly people would have to walk (maybe hobble or crawl?) a mile to the next stop. Obviously if 1 person a week uses a stop, then yeh, get rid of it....

What's your proposal?
    My proposal is for some of these bus routes to be cut down (it's not only N Yorks I've noticed it btw). Certainly, possibly where there's an hourly service which takes much longer because of the big detours, perhaps the detours could only be done on every other bus.

ReputationRep:
    My proposal is for some of these bus routes to be cut down (it's not only N Yorks I've noticed it btw). Certainly, possibly where there's an hourly service which takes much longer because of the big detours, perhaps the detours could only be done on every other bus.
    Oh yeh, I don't have an inherent problem with this. Perhaps the quicker ones should be the number, and then 50SAF for the slower ones with detours, standing for SLOW AS ****

ReputationRep:
    I saw that, and it's ****ing hilarious xD
    The way it's going, the only thing that can stop the Conservatives in 2020 is complacency. Also, is anyone else here a member of the Conservative party IRL? I'm considering joining, but just wanted some opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    The way it's going, the only thing that can stop the Conservatives in 2020 is complacency. Also, is anyone else here a member of the Conservative party IRL? I'm considering joining, but just wanted some opinions.
    I am a member, but tbh, don't really actually engage with it in any way except for being a member... Wanted to go to the Party conf this year, but am not, hoping to go next year though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    From Manchester Piccadilly to New Street. Have to be there for 10 am which means getting a peak time train in the morning. So expensive even with a railcard.

Yet some pretend that this is a good service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    and in TSR land you probably will have fewer trains to choose from given the recently passed Bill.

ReputationRep:
    Just passed Downing Street on the bus

ReputationRep:
    Very unfortunate row between Labour and Richard Branson- Jeremy Corbyn's team could have focused on peak ticket prices, empty first class seats or the state of regional trains in the north and north-east. Anyone with any PR nous would know that Richard Branson is a master and that if your facts are in any question, he will make mincemeat of you.

ReputationRep:
    I like what I'm seeing.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Just passed Downing Street on the bus
    We're all jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Very unfortunate row between Labour and Richard Branson- Jeremy Corbyn's team could have focused on peak ticket prices, empty first class seats or the state of regional trains in the north and north-east. Anyone with any PR nous would know that Richard Branson is a master and that if your facts are in any question, he will make mincemeat of you.
    Does it surprise you at all though, given all of Labour's other errors over the past few months/ years even, especially where PR is concerned/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Re railways, I would have thought that investing into our railways to allow for cheaper tickets would be a fiscal multiplier? The cheaper and more accessible public transport is, the easier it is for people to commute and find jobs.
    It is, once Osbourne reversed the capital spending cuts in 2012 he went nuts for trains. We've currently got the highest rail investment in Europe.

Problem is that we need more and planning law means that NIMBY's hold it all up for years (case in point, construction of HS2 should have started in 2015 according to Brown and the coalition in 2010.. god forbid Heathrow).

I'm just hoping that May still backs HS3.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.