Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll shows majority of British people support burqa ban watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeus007)
    Do you see the irony? You say this is a civilised society but then you're telling them what to wear. In what civilised society do we tell women what to wear and what not to wear because it offends you or you feel uncomfortable?
    We tell people what to wear often.
    If someone walked down the street in a KKK uniform we would tell them to take it of because it offends people. If someone was walking through Birmingham bullring in a Halloween mask or balaclava we would see it as a safety threat and tell them not too. You are acting like the only clothing we slightly police is Burqas when that is obviously not true.
    We don't let people walk around naked either, but nobody seems to see that as a issue of "telling people what to wear".

I see no irony. We tell people what to wear if it is not appropriate by a Western standard quite often. Sure that might not be perfect, but its a million times better than the culture the Burqa came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JG1233)
    We tell people what to wear often.
    If someone walked down the street in a KKK uniform we would tell them to take it of because it offends people. If someone was walking through Birmingham bullring in a Halloween mask or balaclava we would see it as a safety threat and tell them not too. You are acting like the only clothing we slightly police is Burqas when that is obviously not true.
    We don't let people walk around naked either, but nobody seems to see that as a issue of "telling people what to wear".

I see no irony. We tell people what to wear if it is not appropriate by a Western standard quite often. Sure that might not be perfect, but its a million times better than the culture the Burqa came from.
    Again your comparisons are horrible, KKK? really? Halloween mask and balaclava? Yeah you're not going to get any sense of what i'm saying to you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you see the irony? You say this is a civilised society but then you're telling them what to wear. In what civilised society do we tell women what to wear and what not to wear because it offends you or you feel uncomfortable?
    In the context of genuine belief in an omnipotent and omniscient god who punishes disobedience with an eternity of torture - following his orders is not a "choice".

ReputationRep:
    Again your comparisons are horrible, KKK? really? Halloween mask and balaclava? Yeah you're not going to get any sense of what i'm saying to you.
    I see you ignored the nudity one then. But ye i see these as good examples.

At least balaclavas and halloween masks don't originate from a culture off oppression and religious fanaticism. Surely a person should be more free to walk around in one of those. And don't give me this whole well burqa's are religious, because i dont believe in giving certain members of society different freedoms from others based on their religion.

Your points are terrible and bordering on the stupid side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well we have the BNP. Don't see why an Islamist party is any worse. Or are you some kind of safe space authoritarian?

Luckily those types of parties in the UK are no where near able to get power and mass democratic support.
    I never said that an Islamist party would be worse than a Fascist party, they are the same to me. Locally, an Islamist party could gain strong support in towns like Luton or Bradford, whilst far right supporters are more evenly spread.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ShariYeah!;67354702]To be fair you were having a go at women that dont work, when clearly the natural state of affairs throughout history has been men doing the hard toil and women the child rearing/pastoral/communal care.

Your fantasy of men doing the 'hard toil' and women doing the ( in contrast, not hard toil?) of child rearing/pastoral/communal care is certainly not based on fact.

Can I suggest you try doing some of the typically female jobs without benefit of modern labour saving devices.

Try - washing clothes fresh from the coal mine; stained with blood/ faeces; covered in food stains etc. etc.
    Try - lugging water from the well, not 100 yards but 1+ miles.
    Try- working in the fields harvesting beet etc. whilst carrying a child on your back
    Try - scrubbing floors using a brush and a bar of soap
    Try - raising poultry, pigs, dairy cattle - carrying buckets of feed / milk, turning the butter churn for hours on end, making cheese...
    Try - harvesting beets - of a February morning as Tess of the D'Urbervilles did.
    etc.
    You may revise your ideas on what constitutes hard toil.

Remember that all this was done while pregnant, nursing babies, having little or no pre or post natal care. ( I won't frighten you with details.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I never said that an Islamist party would be worse than a Fascist party, they are the same to me. Locally, an Islamist party could gain strong support in towns like Luton or Bradford, whilst far right supporters are more evenly spread.
    So do you think parties like the BNP should be illegal?

ReputationRep:
    I'm Muslim, even I agree that the veil..is extreme. But banning it also seems to be imposing on people's choices...I don't know. I don't really have a coherent opinion on this issue those are just my thoughts.
    Also what you're thinking of is not a burqa - it's a veil/nikab.

ReputationRep:
    So do you think parties like the BNP should be illegal?
    Parties that advocate violence shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Parties that advocate violence shouldn't be allowed.
    You haven;t answered the question. Should the BNP be band? Should the french national front be band?

So a parliamentary Islamist party committed to getting state power via democratic means would be fine by you?

I don't believe that fascist and Islamist parties are the same to you. I think you prefer the fascist over the Islamists. I've seen you act as an apologist for the likes of Marine Lepan and her party and at the same time come down far harder on Islamism and anything you think is associated with it.

ReputationRep:
    You haven;t answered the question. Should the BNP be band? Should the french national front be band?

So a parliamentary Islamist party committed to getting state power via democratic means would be fine by you?

I don't believe that fascist and Islamist parties are the same to you. I think you prefer the fascist over the Islamists. I've seen you act as an apologist for the likes of Marine Lepan and her party and at the same time come down far harder on Islamism and anything you think is associated with it.
    Well, as long as the BNP or an hypothetical Islamist party respect the democratic process, they should be allowed.

The Front National is not a Fascist party. They are populist and nationalist.

Fascists want to monitor citizens from cradle to grave by using violence if necessary, like the Sharia.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20171101_124728.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  275.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Don't people have something better to do than froth at the mouth over something that doesnt effect them?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.