Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chinese airline warns passengers about London areas populated by Pakistanis & blacks Watch

(Original post by HucktheForde)
    you just opened the box of pandora mate...i generally avoid starting debates of this nature...
    I was curious what the response would be. I had imagined it would be along the lines of "OMG the Chinese are so racist, they shouldn't generalise blacks", but surprisingly many people are defending China Air.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    if blacks are a small percentage more likely to commit crimes, it doesn't warrant people to discriminate against every single black
    no one has said they should be discriminated against

Straw man number 109.....

ReputationRep:
    What if we said any travellers going to China forget it altogether because they eat dogs and foetuses and practice black magic. not vegan friendly nor humane and even scary .

Very racist and the generalisation is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'absurde)
    I see nothing wrong with what they did. But of course some people will get all butt-hurt.

And one more thing, being British is to do with skin colour as well...sorry to say it. There are Somali people whose families have lived in the UK since the 30s, they're still Somali, end of. We'd say the same about Brits in Kenya for example. They're not Kenyan. It's about culture, heritage etc. It's deeper than what is written on a document for formality's sake.
    Some of you yung 'uns sound very Alf Garnettish, and I'm not left or PC at all. Very conservative.

I regard Indian sikh and Hindu culture as one of our proudest links and I consider many Indian descent people as British as can be.

I think it is rather an odd conception of Britain to say it must be christain, blue eyed, etc. Our uniqueness is in our island geography and non-conformist, libertarian, evolutionary path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I could live in say, Korea all my life, speak Korean, marry a Korean spouse and even hold a Korean passport but I can never be and will never be considered as Korean properly by the native Korean population because of the cultural and ethnic differences between myself and native Koreans.
    If you did all of those things and embraced whatever their culture is, I'd have no problem seeing you as korean. It's better than me being a bigot and deciding for you.

You claimed "it's also about the religion, culture and values of these ethnic groups.". I know Black and Indian families that do all of those things. I know white families who do none. In fact I remember reading that a bigger proportion of black UK residents are catholic (the countries official religion) than white residents. Do white uk residents lose British points according to you?

What you're essentially saying is "You can't be british unless you're white". In which case, I don't think it's even worth reasoning with you.

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    'what is British culture'
    What do you define as british culture? Serious question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Some of you yung 'uns sound very Alf Garnettish, and I'm not left or PC at all. Very conservative.

I regard Indian sikh and Hindu culture as one of our proudest links and I consider many Indian descent people as British as can be.

I think it is rather an odd conception of Britain to say it must be christain, blue eyed, etc. Our uniqueness is in our island geography and non-conformist, libertarian, evolutionary path.
    Agree to disagree, they're still Indian.

It's not race exactly. These people might have families who've lived here for generations but that's beside the point. Do they have a right to live here? Sure. Are they truly British? No. Just as being Indian is more than a document, it's about the culture, language, heritage, racial identity etc (Same rule applies to eastern Europeans for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    "Avoid areas mainly population by Indians, Pakistanis and black people" is not the same as saying "avoid Indians, Pakistanis and black people".
    "They could have easily said avoid areas with high crime rates. Or even better, gave them a list of the tourist spots in england. They chose their wording on purpose. Chinese residents in general have problems with minorities. Especially the older generation. That's well known. Have you ever heard about experiences from people of colour visiting china?"

It doesn't take a genius to know why they specified races. Nor does it take a genius to know why you're condoning it.

Those are the same groups of people that are significantly more likely to be treated horribly if they went to china than a white person would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)

What do you define as british culture? Serious question.
    thought as much

but it can be defined like any other culture or is it only British culture you don't get?

ReputationRep:
    no one has said they should be discriminated against

Straw man number 109.....
    who said I said anyone was?

straw man number 110

ReputationRep:
    thought as much

but it can be defined like any other culture or is it only British culture you don't get?
    I'm aware of most other cultures. Specifically, I want to hear your answer for what you think the british culture is. Since you're so adamant that loads of families aren't embracing it. I at least want to know what you're defining it as before I agree/disagree..

ReputationRep:
    I hate to break it to you but the areas that are full of blacks and Pakistanis are probably the last place a tourist would want to go, I mean think about it, these are areas like Ilford, Wimbledon, Acton, Hackney, Tower Hamlets. All sh*t holes

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I blame them. Areas like Croyden and Brixton are gang-ridden sh*tholes. I should know, Croyden gangs occasionally harass people in my village.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)
    . I at least want to know what you're defining it as before I agree/disagree..
    thing is you don't get to tell me what my culture is nor do I have to explain to you what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    who said I said anyone was?
    your words

' it doesn't warrant people to discriminate against every single black'

apart from the poor English not a single person has said it's OK to to discriminate against every single black
    Perhaps you should read what a straw man is before simply parroting back to me

ReputationRep:
    thing is you don't get to tell me what my culture is nor do I have to explain to you what it is.
    translation: "I can't think of a coherent/rational response to justify my narrow minded views so I'm just going to throw my toys out the pram".

You have no answer lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    translation: "I can't think of a coherent/rational response to justify my narrow minded views so I'm just going to throw my toys out the pram".

You have no answer lmao
    Narrow minded for thinking there is such a thing as British culture

Would you say this about anyone else defending their culture (say Caribbean) or is it just the British culture you have issues with?

ReputationRep:
    "I will await their response, and if an appropriate one is not forthcoming I shall feel forced to question whether Air China is a fit company to operate in the UK."

:rofl:

are you sure you wanna embargo them just over a ****ing leaflet... :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I thought tolerance was one of the core values of British culture. Looks like the Little Englanders in this thread aren't as "British" as they think they are 😂😂😂

Ultimately, it's a matter of self-identity. If a non-White, non-native identifies with the British culture having lived in Britain for most of his/her life, then they are British in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    Narrow minded for thinking there is such a thing as British culture

Would you say this about anyone else defending their culture (say Caribbean) or is it just the British culture you have issues with?
    Define British culture.

Narrow minded as you, like several other posters here, think British culture only runs skin deep apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    Define British culture.

Narrow minded as you, like several other posters here, think British culture only runs skin deep apparently.
    I don't need to just like you wouldn't define Caribbean culture (which given it's nature would be much harder to define than mine)

It's usual only racists who deride other peoples culture

But no I've made no mention of skin colour in my posts I'm simply defending my culture from racists and bigots who claim we don't have one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.