Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I'm assuming your 'head hurts' (lol) because you always thought \sin had an inverse. If so, answer me this question: if \sin x=0, what is x? Is your answer x=0? Wrong, x=2\pi. In fact x could be any even multiple of \pi.
    I thought that if \sin x=0 then x can equal either  -2\pi , -\pi, 0, \pi, 2\pi and so on. as the graph crosses the x-axis at these points when y=0

Hopefully you now see why \sin does not have an inverse. If you're given the value of \sin x, you cannot determine x. \sin is not one-to-one.
    No, I know that sin doesn't have an exact inverse as for it to be a function it must be a one-to-one. Hence why only the domain  -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{ \pi}{2} of sin(x) gets "inverted" to create the function arcsin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    I thought that if \sin x=0 then x can equal either  -2\pi , -\pi, 0, \pi, 2\pi and so on. as the graph crosses the x-axis at these points when y=0

No, I know that sin doesn't have an exact inverse as for it to be a function it must be a one-to-one. Hence why only the domain  -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{ \pi}{2} of sin(x) gets "inverted" to create the function arcsin
    That is all correct.

ReputationRep:
    Are my workings right for question 5? I understand how to get the answer but wasn't too sure how to write everything down
    Name:  C3 - EXE 6E.png
Views: 21
Size:  3.3 KB

Attachment 582432582434
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Are my workings right for question 5? I understand how to get the answer but wasn't too sure how to write everything down
    Yes that is correct.

Alternatively just write:

\sin(x)=k \Rightarrow x=\arcsin(k)=\alpha
    and
    x=\pi-\alpha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    But 0 is a multiply of \pi so it's not wrong, it's just a principal solution, and it doesn't have to be an even multiple. It would be a mess to lead OP to general solutions of sine at this point.
    Idk why I said even, sorry (but this was obviously a mistake...).
    And no, what I'm saying is that I could take the number x=2\pi and give you the information \sin x=0, in which case x=0 is wrong.. This was the point.
    It certainly wouldn't be 'a mess to lead OP to general solutions'. I'm not even teaching them general solutions. I was giving an example to illustrate my point, which it did.

ReputationRep:

Then it doesn't make sense why you don't understand \arcsin(\sin x) \not\equiv x. This is a direct consequence of what you've just said.

ReputationRep:
    Idk why I said even, sorry (but this was obviously a mistake...).
    And no, what I'm saying is that I could take the number x=2\pi and give you the information \sin x=0, in which case x=0 is wrong.. This was the point.
    It certainly wouldn't be 'a mess to lead OP to general solutions'. I'm not even teaching them general solutions. I was giving an example to illustrate my point, which it did.
    Ah okay. I do think it would be a mess based on his understanding, and decided to mention it as your point touches upon them in principle with multiples.

ReputationRep:
    1) (cosec2o)^2-(cot2o)^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Ah okay. I do think it would be a mess based on his understanding, and decided to mention it as your point touches upon them in principle with multiples.
    I think OP can understand multiples... Anyone who has any knowledge of trig functions will understand \sin 2k\pi=0, so this wouldn't confuse OP. It serves as a good example of the fact that \sin is many-to-one. If I just say it's 'many-to-one' with no explanation then that would certainly be more confusing and would likely lead to 'a mess' as you put it.

ReputationRep:

I must also point out that this: "for it to be a function it must be a one-to-one"
    is simply wrong. There seems to still be a misunderstanding here. Unless you're talking about the inverse when you say 'it' in which case ok, but see my previous reply.
    Also not sure why so much use of emboldening...

ReputationRep:

Attachment 582432582434
    I know this is completely off topic, but I love your pi. Could you do a tutorial?

ReputationRep:
    Then it doesn't make sense why you don't understand \arcsin(\sin x) \not\equiv x. This is a direct consequence of what you've just said.
    I'm just confused by the equation. I'm sure it's right but I can't seem to understand the layout of it. Sorry

I think OP can understand multiples... Anyone who has any knowledge of trig functions will understand \sin 2k\pi=0, so this wouldn't confuse OP. It serves as a good example of the fact that \sin is many-to-one. If I just say it's 'many-to-one' with no explanation then that would certainly be more confusing and would likely lead to 'a mess' as you put it.
    My knowledge of trig functions is, lets just say limited. I have no idea what you mean by the part where you say \sin 2k\pi=0... Where has that K come from??

I know that  sin2 \pi = 0 though

I must also point out that this: "for it to be a function it must be a one-to-one"
    is simply wrong. There seems to still be a misunderstanding here. Unless you're talking about the inverse when you say 'it' in which case ok, but see my previous reply.
    Also not sure why so much use of emboldening...
    How come you only quoted half of my sentence?

Let me edit a section of what I said so it is a little clearer...
    sin doesn't have an exact inverse as for it (arcsin) to be a function it must be a one-to-one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asinghj)
    I know this is completely off topic, but I love your pi. Could you do a tutorial?
    Ah schuckkkks

Plenty more pi to go around

ReputationRep:
    LOOL

ReputationRep:
     \sin 2k\pi = 0 just means for every even multiple of  \pi sin will equal 0

i hate latex

ReputationRep:
    I'm just confused by the equation. I'm sure it's right but I can't seem to understand the layout of it. Sorry

My knowledge of trig functions is, lets just say limited. I have no idea what you mean by the part where you say \sin 2k\pi=0... Where has that K come from??

I know that  sin2 \pi = 0 though

How come you only quoted half of my sentence?

Let me edit a section of what I said so it is a little clearer...
    sin doesn't have an exact inverse as for it (arcsin) to be a function it must be a one-to-one.
    k just stands for any integer. So by \sin 2k\pi=0 all I'm saying is that \sin0=\sin2\pi=\sin (-2\pi)= \sin 4\pi=\sin (-4\pi)=...=0 since all these angles are full turns of a circle and will thus have the same sines.

I mentioned "Unless you're talking about the inverse when you say 'it' in which case ok." I did acknowledge what you said.

ReputationRep:
    k just stands for any integer. So by \sin 2k\pi=0 all I'm saying is that \sin0=\sin2\pi=\sin (-2\pi)= \sin 4\pi=\sin (-4\pi)=...=0 since all these angles are full turns of a circle and will thus have the same sines.

I mentioned "Unless you're talking about the inverse when you say 'it' in which case ok." I did acknowledge what you said.
    Oh right I see. Yeah I get you now. Learn something everyday

Thanks for being patient with me btw. I really appreciate it!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I see. Yeah I get you now. Learn something everyday

Thanks for being patient with me btw. I really appreciate it!!
    Good to hear . Tbh I should be thanking you for being patient with me lol, the number of times today I've had to edit things I've said due to mistakes etc. is ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear . Tbh I should be thanking you for being patient with me lol, the number of times today I've had to edit things I've said due to mistakes etc. is ridiculous...
    Yes it is ridiculous. Especially for someone like you, after having done so brilliantly in STEP. You should be ashamed of yourself

ReputationRep:
    So I've just started Chapter 7 of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths textbook and have already encountered a problem

It's about proving the 'addition formula' for cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB
    Name:  Proving addition formulae (compound angles).png
Views: 19
Size:  33.7 KB

Ok so I have the following questions to ask about this example...
    1. Why are the coordinates of P and Q... P(cosA, sinA) and Q(cosB, sinB)?
    2. Why is the radius of the circle 1?
    3. Why is the angle POQ equal to (A-B)?? Surely it would be angle POQ = (B-A), is it because using the addition formulae cos(a-b) = cos(b-a)??
    4. How would one know to compare the lengths of PQ^2 from the results of using the cosine rule and the distance between two coordinates for this type of question?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.