Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    cross refrencing and grouping in order to make it easy for me to find relevant info in the exam.
    Is it absolutely true that you can do tables??? and on the blank front page?? can someone confim this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkatherine)
    This may be a stupid question buuut...when writing a pendle witch text are you going to call them The Davies family or the Devices (Davies may show how you have interpreted older texts, but Device more inkeeping) ..i hope someone knows what im talking about!
    i think if it was like a radio drama/play with characters speaking and things it might have been said 'Davies'? something to do with the vowel shift perhaps?
    But written you could stick to Device....
    but don't take my word on that!

ReputationRep:
    hellooo
    i took this exam in january and thought i didn't do too badly...but i got a C!

atm ive mainly focussed on the dyslexia pack, might have another quick look at the pendle witches one later, but im not too sure about that one...it scares me for some strange reason!

anybody got any tips about writing the commentary? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    cross refrencing and grouping in order to make it easy for me to find relevant info in the exam.
    Is it absolutely true that you can do tables??? and on the blank front page?? can someone confim this
    Yeah I think you can, I did it last year with no problems.

Believe me no one checks your editorial writing pack, Two invigilators are not going to bother checking a pack with 70+ pages. Each page is one sided so you can write stuff on the backs of a couple of pages, e.g. tables of cross-referencing, but i dont think your allowed to add extra info like what constitutes a radio script/magazine article etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite weird that most people I know are saying.....I'm going for Pendle Witches cos it's most likely gonna have an easier question?

Surely there's no easy question? i.e. it's whether you're suited towards spoken or visual texts. I can't do spoken texts AT ALL - I end up sounding like a right ******

ReputationRep:
    if we get asked to do a tourist guide or something like that for the pendle witches would it be something similar to this im confused
    http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/...pendle-witches

ReputationRep:
    The guy who created this exam from AQA is convinced that you cannot cheat on this exam - which is probably true - so you can write absolutely anything you like on you resource pack. Therefore tables are absolutely fine, as many as you like.
    Its a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, can AQA be dickish enough to ask a question from the Dyslexia pack not aimed at parents? Is it actually possible?

ReputationRep:
    What do people think the spoken text question is gonna be on? Im thinking more towards the dyslexia -maybe a radio programme on it? But then again the same could be said for the witches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairylight)
    hellooo
    i took this exam in january and thought i didn't do too badly...but i got a C!

atm ive mainly focussed on the dyslexia pack, might have another quick look at the pendle witches one later, but im not too sure about that one...it scares me for some strange reason!

anybody got any tips about writing the commentary? thanks!

When it comes to the commentary - youve just got to do kind of same thing as writing a normal essay, in other words, point, example, explanation.

While youre writing the main piece, keep a note of things that you do in another "commentary plan." When writing the comm. go through your list and put in the example from your main piece, then explain why you did this. The explain why it is useful or necessary for the audience/genre/etc preferably using as much english vocab as possible.

By keeping a mini plan going you wont repeat yourself which is easy to do in the commentary.

Hope this helps! Theyre the worst bit, so annoying and a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya im new to this! I posted a few days ago and can't find it anywhere (me being useless!) - so imma ask again. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to group The Pendle Witches pack?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, i've grouped pendle witches into:

Group 1- Modern Texts Analysing the Evidence

a) Text K and Text L > events relative to witches' trials and attitudes

b) Text I and Text N > assessing the characters of the witches and how attitudes influenced their conviction

c) Text O, Text C and Text A> detail of the relevant events and trial

Group 2- Leaflets/ summaries of story

> Aimed at tourists, accessable, relevant information

Text E, Text D, Text J

Group 3- original texts

> reflecting the fear and superstition of people at the time

Confessions- spun information
    Evidence- reflective of fear and unjust trials> how witches were a victim of poverty, culture and environment

King James' text- fear, Latin references> devotion to faith, power

its already been posted=) on how to group the witches pack

ReputationRep:
    Yup, i've grouped pendle witches into:

Group 1- Modern Texts Analysing the Evidence

a) Text K and Text L > events relative to witches' trials and attitudes

b) Text I and Text N > assessing the characters of the witches and how attitudes influenced their conviction

c) Text O, Text C and Text A> detail of the relevant events and trial

Group 2- Leaflets/ summaries of story

> Aimed at tourists, accessable, relevant information

Text E, Text D, Text J

Group 3- original texts

> reflecting the fear and superstition of people at the time

Confessions- spun information
    Evidence- reflective of fear and unjust trials> how witches were a victim of poverty, culture and environment

King James' text- fear, Latin references> devotion to faith, power

This is the second time i've re-posted my post!! arghh

someone said something earlier about the second spoken text..does this mean that there is generally one spoken and one written question for each set of texts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliewantstogotouni!)
    When it comes to the commentary - youve just got to do kind of same thing as writing a normal essay, in other words, point, example, explanation.

While youre writing the main piece, keep a note of things that you do in another "commentary plan." When writing the comm. go through your list and put in the example from your main piece, then explain why you did this. The explain why it is useful or necessary for the audience/genre/etc preferably using as much english vocab as possible.

By keeping a mini plan going you wont repeat yourself which is easy to do in the commentary.

Hope this helps! Theyre the worst bit, so annoying and a bit pointless.
    Thanks so much, thats really good advice

ReputationRep:
    This is the second time i've re-posted my post!! arghh

someone said something earlier about the second spoken text..does this mean that there is generally one spoken and one written question for each set of texts?

someone posted a link to past questiond and the genre i cant remember where in the thread it was but it seemed like its quite hard to tell whether you will get one spoken and one written for each text, 2 questions on one text asked for a transcript ..so its hard to tell

does anyone know how to lay out the answer in the exam as i havent done any past papers before had a mad teacher
    like if we do a plan ow do we lay it out..and then do we just write out the text ...and then lay it out in the style they give us (website) magzine etc if u get what i mean x

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm gonna be a rebel, screw the Pendle Witches pack, I can't even make myself read it...I pray for a good dyslexia question

ReputationRep:
    thought these files might be useful
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc ENB5 - General Guide to module for students - SC - GOOD.doc (116.0 KB, 172 views)
  2. File Type: doc Ed - Writing a commentary.doc (20.0 KB, 153 views)
  3. File Type: doc Ed -- what to actually do with the packs - plunder!.doc (114.5 KB, 141 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xhanna30x)
    thought these files might be useful
    They're great, thank you very much

(Original post by masterofdalliance)
    Ok, I'm gonna be a rebel, screw the Pendle Witches pack, I can't even make myself read it...I pray for a good dyslexia question
    I know what you mean, the Pendle Witches pack is a little bit heavy, shame they didn't use bullet points all that often in the 17th Century... :p:

I found it alot easier to go through after I read a bit of background info on the internet first...

ReputationRep:
    OMG I can't believe I'm gonna admit this but I'm rather enjoying the Pendle Witches pack. :eek: I'm summarising each paragraph of the Old English texts in a couple of words and it's slowly working and I'm slowly getting there.

ReputationRep:
    Yup but they interpret it in one of the texts as saying the surname was probably Davies and Thomas Potts wrote it incorrectly. Ohh it probably reeeally doesn't matter anyway"
    Yeah i read that, but i didnt think it was reliable, cos all of the other texts say Device, it does on the internet aswell i think lol!

I really think a website might come up for Pendle witches, cos none of the texts are from websites

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.