Offers range between AAA-ABB but are usually AAA-AAB
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduat.../entrydata.php
shinhans31
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Here is the IB version.

AAB

Bath AAB M**E**p 38 7 6 6 at higher level including Mathematics and preferably either Economics or Business & Economics Points total excludes bonus points 441 ** ** preferred (or bus)
This could be updated
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma

BSc Economics
38 points (including bonus points) required with grades of 7, 6 and 6 in a combination of 3 subjects at the higher level, which must include Mathematics.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/econ-dev/ug/admis-pol.htm#intb

edit: +rep
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by shinhans31)
This could be updated
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma

BSc Economics
38 points (including bonus points) required with grades of 7, 6 and 6 in a combination of 3 subjects at the higher level, which must include Mathematics.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/econ-dev/ug/admis-pol.htm#intb

edit: +rep
Well UCAS Course Search for Economics at Bath still has it as excluding Bonus Points. So maybe you should email Bath before applying to find what the correct situation is.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by dangaming)
p.s. As of 2009 Lancaster is now AAB, this is confirmed both on UCAS and their website. Although they allow one of those grade to be a combination of two ASs taken in different years, so it should probably moved to AAB.2 IMO but your the boss.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/...sion_id=000109
(Original post by paulwhy)
Thank you for that. Yes Lancaster should be moved out of ABB.1 Either to AAB.2 or that maybe a new group e.g. AAB.2.2 (i.e. it is Ba). I will check out the entry conditions of the other AAB.2 unis. And think about it.
I have now thought about about it and have put Lancaster in a new AAB.2.2 group This is because:
i) Lancaster requires only 2 A-levels.
ii) Lancaster is a Ba
iii) Lancaster only become AAB this year.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I moved Newcastle up to AAB.2.2 status as they are now making AAB offers and they are a Ba course.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/c...e-requirements
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
As Exeter are giving out a lot more AAA offers than AAB offers have moved them up to AAA.2.2 from AAB.2.2. (The ..2 representing Ba)
AAA.2.2 (360 Points) Exeter AAA-ABB (But mainly AAA)
Exeter (Ba) AAA- ABB (But mainly AAA) M**p 397
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
As with Exeter, SOAS also making lots of AAA offers. Hence they also now AAA.2.2 instead of AAB.2.2. (The ..2 representing Ba)
AAA.2.2 (360 Points) Exeter/SOAS AAA-ABB (But mainly AAA)
Exeter (Ba) AAA- ABB (But mainly AAA) M**p 397
SOAS AAA-ABB (But mainly AAA) 360
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
As there is now an AAB.2.2 group AAB.2 has been re-labelled as AAB.2.1
AAB.2.1 (340 Points) (ABB offers (Southampton ABBb, Manchester Ba, York: accepted students with accepted York offers but only achieved grades of ABB
York AAB M**p 448
Southampton (or ABBb) (or 400 points from 4 A-levels) AAB M*c 399
Manchester (BSc) AAB M** E**p 397
<(".")>
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey Paul, for the Warwick tariff, can you get in with one A level and 4 AS's?

ie. You've said

Warwick (+b in fourth AS) AABb/Aabbb/(AABB with FM)

And also, what would the offer be if you're taking 4 A levels, although not doing further maths?
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by <(".")>)
Hey Paul, for the Warwick tariff, can you get in with one A level and 4 AS's?

ie. You've said

Warwick (+b in fourth AS) AABb/Aabbb/(AABB with FM)

And also, what would the offer be if you're taking 4 A levels, although not doing further maths?
Thanks for pointing that out. It should be AAbbb. And this correction has now been made:
AAB.0 (340 Points) (Demand more than just AAB: require a 4th AS/A level)
Warwick (+b in fourth AS) AABb/AAbbb/(AABB with FM) M** 473

Here is the quote from UCAS Course Search:
GCE A level grades AAB plus GCE AS level grade B including A level Mathematics required, or GCE A level grades AA plus GCE AS level grades BBB including A level Mathematics. Offers do not normally include both Mathematics and Further Mathematics, however applicants taking 4 GCE A levels including Mathematics and Further Mathematics will be typically required to achieve AABB at A level.
(Original post by <(".")>)

That would be AABC
AAB + AS level B (or C as a fourth A level) or A level AABB for successful applicants taking 4 A levels inc. Maths and Further Maths.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...conomics/l100/
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Updated Bristol's entry to reflect that it requires A in A-level Maths:
AAB.1.1(340 Points) (Not make ABB offers or accept ABB grades)(Bsc)
Bristol AAA-ABB including A in Mathematics M** E**p 458
Bath AAB M** E**p 441
St Andrews AAB 430
The information comes from the Bristol website:
AAA-ABB including A in Mathematics
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/efm/prospec...fications.html
NesQuiK.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thought i should just say that Edinborough has been put inbetween the AAA categories...
You have evidently put considerable effor into this, thank you very much Paulwhy
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by NesQuiK.)
Thought i should just say that Edinborough has been put inbetween the AAA categories...
You have evidently put considerable effor into this, thank you very much Paulwhy
Yes, that is intentional. i.e. IMO edinburgh is harder to get offers from than exeter so it is above exeter.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
New Introduction:
Welcome

This is The Alternative Economics League Table 2009 thread. (TAELT for short).
It attempts to rate each uni in terms of how hard it is to get offers from. It does this mainly by looking at:
i)Typical Offers
ii) UCAS Tariff points of actual econ students at each uni. (Not just the average (available in newspaper League Tables) but also the distribution in 20 point slices (available from unistats.com))

This thread should be considered alongside:
1) The econ uni guide: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957 This explains how to choose your 5.
2) The Econ PS guide: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=664764 This explains how to write a good Econ PS (but you probably worked that out yourself).

Finally the uni offers are NOT guaranteed to be correct. They were collected manually by myself from UCAS with some checking on uni websistes. So that is one source of errors. Secondly some unis change their policies mid cycle (e.g. so far this cycle changes by Exeter have been updated). But there may be others. Thirdly unis are free to make whatever offers they want and hence can make non-typical offers. For more on uni choice check out the econ uni guide (link above and in my sig).
Added the final paragraph that explains my moving around of some of the groups.
What order are the unis in?
Originally the unis were sorted by typical offer and then by the average tariff of students actually doing the course. Where UCAS gave 2 offers (e.g. Exeter AAB-ABB) the higher (AAB) was used. Where UCAS gave 3 offers (e.g. Bristol AAA-ABB) the middle (AAB) was used.

However this resulted in some very big groups. For example there are 10 AAB and 15 ABB unis . So I decided to break them into unis that were likely or unlikely to accept students with a lower grade. The concept being that two unis should be in different groups if it could be reasonable to have the higher group uni as a firm and the lower group uni as an insurance. There are 4 main reasons why a uni may be in the lower group:
i) explicit policy of sometimes giving lower offers. e.g. Exeter and SOAS are AAB-ABB
ii) accepts breadth of qualification as a substitute for high grades. e.g. Southampton accepts ABBb instead of AAB
iii) has a high proportion of it's students with tariffs below the typical offer. For example, the lower group of BBB unis all have at least 20% of their students below 280 points.
iv)Has a history of accepting lower grade students. So up to 2008 Durham's typical offer was AAB and this year York typical offer was AAB but accepted (at least some) ABB students.

Finally I have now tried to put the groups into order of how competitive they are. This was because some unis (e.g. Warwick and Edinburgh) make offers that are clearly not at Market clearing levels. Hence I moved them up. Similarly IMO it is relatively easy to get offers from Exeter and SOAS (even though it is a very high offer!)hence they are moved down.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
I have moved leeds into AAB.2.2:
AAB.2.2 (340 Points) (Ba Course. ABB in 2008 Only need 2 A-levels(Lancaster))
Leeds (Ba) AAB 413
Newcastle AAB 394
Lancaster AAB/AAbb/ABaa 394
This is because they are making a number of ABB offers this year:
Leeds - 8 Applicants - Offers Given
Electric_Dreams - AAB
ljc91 - AAB (Advanced Highers)
kimoso (Ec + Japanese) - ABB
bubbles32 (Ec + Chinese) - ABB
Jackus – AAB
The Nihilist (Econ & Maths) - ABB
Sanmisra - AAB
Andrew_2006 (E&F) - AAB
This means the AAB.1.2 group no longer exists.
grademe
Report 10 years ago
hey paul,

how come bath is now on the same line as bristol?
i know they're in the same group, but is it for a different reason, or just formatting
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
(Original post by grademe)
hey paul,

how come bath is now on the same line as bristol?
i know they're in the same group, but is it for a different reason, or just formatting
No, it was just a mistake.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Added a new question.
So if there is no M**p or M*P after a uni does that mean my application is not weakened if I do not have maths?
No, I am afraid not. It just means that I have not found any reference where that uni states a preference for students who studied maths at school. And in many cases that is just because certain universities give virtually no info on what their entry requirements are.
e.g. they don't even make explicit any preferences on A-levels e.g. that they prefer Economics to General Studies.
My rule of thumb would be that for all competitive unis e.g. AAB.1.1+ that not having Maths A-level would be a significant disadvantage. (This may be less of an issue at the ..2 unis which are Ba e.g. AAA.2.2 SOAS). This is because econ at top unis is basically applied maths.
I have finally bitten the bullet and added in my orderings.
So the number in front of each uni represent your ordering?
Yes:
i) but within a group the ordering is determined just by one years average tariff. Hence unstable
ii) lots of personal factors you should consider when making your decision (e.g. city/campus uni, how far it is from home) that no objective (by which I mean generic, non-applicant specific) table can encompass.
iii) The Scottish unis have a lot of Highers candidates and hence higher tariffs and hence higher positions.
iv) Expecting TAELT to distinguish between similar unis is unreasonable. e.g. LSE being 3rd does not mean it is worse than Cambridge or Oxford. Hell, oxford don't even teach straight economics. (I did consider when I first created TAELT not including Oxford at all as they don't teach straight econ. But I thought dropping Oxford would cause more confusion than it was worth).
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
It has been pointed out that all the Leeds ABB offers are for variant courses. Fair point that. But just becuase there are no TSR examples of Leeds ABB offers does not mean that they do not exist. Also it is consistent with applicants who accept leeds offers being let in with ABB (like what happened at York in 2008). So I am going to leave Leeds in the AAB.2.2 group
AAB.2.2 (340 Points) (Ba Course. ABB in 2008(Newcastle, Lancaster) Only need 2 A-levels(Lancaster) ABB offer for variant courses(Leeds))
17) Leeds (Ba) AAB 413
18) Newcastle AAB 394
19) Lancaster AAB/AAbb/ABaa 394
campl
Report 10 years ago
Hey Paul, where can I find the excel version of your TAELT - sorry I'm still quite new to TSR.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads