What does upmystreet say about your postcode? Watch

afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is one of the most ridiculous pieces of crap I have ever read!

Their profile is so far off, it's ridiculous.

They're trying to tell me that I do this, have this much money and enjoy doing this, this and this just because live on a certain street?

I'm not going to say what our assumed/real income is, because that's not something to be blurted out over the internet to strangers, but their profiles are so far off. They've said that we're right at the one of the ends of the scale financially, and to fit in with that we read these newspapers, and enjoy these things. It's ridiculous. Yes, the description fits in to an extent for our area, but by no means can the vast majority be categorised this way. Some of my neighbours at the at the complete other end of the scale, a considerable amount of people at school and some of my friends are at the complete other end.

You can't say that just because I live in this postcode we are these people that fall into this category. On my street we have teachers, we have builders, we have managing directors, we have a couple of people unemployed and on benefits, students, carpenters -the range is massive. And yet some internet website came come along and claim that we're all actually just within this group of professions?
Arteta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income: Very high
Interest in current affairs: Very high
Housing - with mortgage: Medium
Educated - to degree: Very high
Couples with children: Low
Have satellite TV: Low

"Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found primarily in London (Wandsworth, Hammersmith and Fulham, Merton, Kensington and Chelsea, Richmond-upon-Thames and Ealing) as well as in Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh."

Well that's flattering, except we apparently can't afford a TV with our high wages :rolleyes:
Keith Lemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income: High
Interest in current affairs: Medium
Housing - with mortgage: High
Educated - to degree: Medium
Couples with children: High
Have satellite TV: High
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be low income, older people living in smaller semis. These are known as type 45 in the ACORN classification and 3.03% of the UK’s population live in this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile can be found across the country but main concentrations are in the West Midlands and the North East in towns such as Wolverhampton, Walsall and Dudley, Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne and Sunderland. Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your neighbourhood:

Family income Low
Interest in current affairs Very low
Housing - with mortgage Low
Educated - to degree Very low
Couples with children Medium
Have satellite TV Medium

These typically council properties house an older population, many with significant health problems.

In these areas the retired are unlikely to have any pension provision beyond that provided by the state. Working people will be in routine jobs in shops, on the factory floor or in other manual occupations. This results in low incomes. Whether due to their age or previous work, a number of people suffer from long-term illness.

The housing is small, usually one or two bedrooms. It is generally rented from the council or housing association. Fewer than half of these households have a car of any sort.

With so little spare money, spending is limited to a funeral plan, playing bingo and the lottery, betting and going to the pub. These people are unlikely to be frequent high street shoppers, preferring to buy from catalogues by mail order. Leisure activities are similarly limited. Some may do a little gardening or go fishing.
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be wealthy commuters living in villages. These are known as type 3 in the ACORN classification and 2.7% of the UK’s population live in this type.

DNeighbourhoods fitting this profile are found throughout the shire counties, especially in Oxfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Gloucestershire, Warwickshire as well as in Surrey, Hampshire and Sussex.

Well i suppose its DevonSHIRE

Family income Very high
Interest in current affairs High
Housing - with mortgage Medium
Educated - to degree High
Have satellite TV Medium

woo, very true

heres the rest

Spoiler:
Show
This type of postcode comprises wealthy people living in rural villages, predominantly in the shire counties of England. Given the rural nature of these areas, there is some agricultural employment but most residents are affluent, well educated professional people employed in senior managerial positions. There is also more working from home in this type.

Residents tend to be older, aged 45+, with fewer children and more retired people. Housing is spacious, with four or more bedrooms, mostly detached and at the upper end of the property price ladder. Reflecting the older age profile, more properties are owned outright than being bought on a mortgage.

Car ownership is high with more people commuting by car than by rail. Two or more cars per household is common, with high value cars being the norm.

These are financially astute householders, with high levels of ownership of stocks and shares, unit trusts and guaranteed income bonds. The Internet is used to research and purchase financial products as well as cars, holidays and other products.

Leisure interests include walking, bird watching, the fine arts, antiques, classical music and the opera. Membership of the National Trust is also popular.

Favoured newspapers tend to be the Telegraph, The Times and Financial Times.
HenrySJA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income; Very high
Interest in current affairs; Medium
Housing - with mortgage; Very high
Educated - to degree; High
Couples with children; Very high
Have satellite TV; Very high
brokenheroes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income High
Interest in current affairs Very high
Housing - with mortgage Low
Educated - to degree Very high
Couples with children Low
Have satellite TV Low

i live in tower hamlets so these results are pretty surprising haha...
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine will be wrong - Every postcode finder in the UK places us in the village 2 miles down the road, because the postcode applies for the entire stretch of road. No sat-nav in the world can actually find our house based on our postcode. We have to give out the postcode of the street that runs parallel to us, and then give directions from there.

Our Postcode:

Family income High
Housing - with mortgage High
Couples with children High
Have satellite TV Medium

Couldn't be more wrong. XD

The postcode closest to our house:

Family income Very high
Have satellite TV Medium

Still wrong - But I can understand why. xD

My Assessment:

Family income Medium Almost half the street are retired or out of work.
Interest in current affairs High Medium.
Housing - with mortgage Medium Low. The entire street is council-owned except two houses.
Educated - to degree High Agree with this, though.
Couples with children Medium Low. Two out of 8 houses.
Have satellite TV Medium About half.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine:

Family income Low
Interest in current affairs Low
Educated - to degree Low
Couples with children Low
Have satellite TV Medium

And I thought everyone who lived near me was pretty snobbish! :eek:

On the plus side, Oxford will like my ****ty postcode!
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income Low
Housing - with mortgage Very low
Educated - to degree Medium
Have satellite TV Low

WTF this site is dumb:

They read newspapers and the Daily Mirror, The Guardian and Independent are popular. They may also have cable TV at home and other interests include buying clothes.
studentin007
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure I agree with all of this :

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be middle income, older couples. These are known as type 33 in the ACORN classification and 3.14% of the UK’s population live in this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found throughout the UK in towns such as Southend-on-Sea, Gloucester, Congleton in Cheshire and Wyre in Lancashire. Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your neighbourhood:

Family income Medium
Educated - to degree Low
Have satellite TV Medium

The majority of people in these areas are couples who have finished bringing up their families, and whose children are now independent. Although 1 in 5 have retired, the rest are still working, which gives them enough money to enjoy life.

Most of these people live in three bedroom detached and semi-detached houses and bungalows. Nearly half of them own their homes outright, and the rest have only a short time to run on the mortgage.

Most people work in lower managerial and supervisory roles. There are also relatively high numbers of women working part-time now that their families have grown up.

With reasonable household incomes, these couples will invest their money wisely in ISAs, stocks, shares and high interest accounts. They usually have one or two cars, and will spend at least £5,000 on the main car.

They enjoy summer and winter holidays, including packaged holidays and weekend breaks in the UK and Europe. They eat out on a regular basis. Many are keen gardeners.

When they are at home they like to watch TV, and many have subscribed to satellite channels. They also like to listen to light classical music. They are not particularly keen readers of newspapers but will tend to choose the Daily Express and Daily Mail.

There are hardly any children down my street although there is a council estate round the corner. Its mainly old people as there's a retirement flat, but I wouldnt say its like Southend on Sea round here. As far as I'm aware most people have a fairly high interest in current affairs, as everyone talks about the papers, we have a polling station and there are regularly meetings about how the council is run and protests about dodgey council plans.
Maybe the old people listen to classical music?
A few people order papers to be delivered from a newsagents up the road. We order the Guardian, maybe the old people order the Daily Express?
I dont know anyone who can afford to eat out on a regular basis unless it means when the old people go to a coffee shop?

How does Upmystreet get its hands on this type of inormation? Are they bin- rummagers?
Charlski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income Very high
Have satellite TV High

"These are affluent people living in smaller towns and villages throughout the UK. Most are highly qualified professionals and managers with some self employed. Given the rural nature of many of these areas, there are also some agricultural workers. Although these neighbourhoods contain some retired couples, most residents are either families or couples where the children have left home. They live in large detached houses, with four or more bedrooms, which may be owned outright or being bought on a mortgage.

Car ownership is high with many households having two or more cars. Company cars are common and are likely to be of high value.

These well-off people are financially secure with high levels of savings and investments. They are likely to hold stocks and shares and invest in ISAs and unit trusts. They have a good pension which may be company provided or private. They also have private medical insurance.

Levels of PC ownership are high, as is use of the Internet for shopping, banking, and researching future purchases.

These individuals can afford good holidays both in Europe and further afield, including the USA and Canada. They are likely to go skiing and enjoy playing golf. Eating out in restaurants is a regular occurrence as is a general interest in food and wine.

Newspaper readership is largely of the broadsheets, particularly the Telegraph, The Times and Financial Times. "

:eek:
Ginger_Rogers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income Low
Educated - to degree Very low
Have satellite TV Medium

I live in the nicer bit of a run down, mainly council housed, estate.

Makes me quite proud to have a degree actually, after seeing that
bruisepristine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mum's:

Family income Low
Educated - to degree Low
Have satellite TV Medium

Dad's:

Family income Medium
Educated - to degree Medium
Have satellite TV Medium
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My house:

Family income: Low
Interest in current affairs: Low
Housing - with mortgage: High
Educated - to degree: Very low
Couples with children: High
Have satellite TV: Medium

FAIL
cactupuss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it tells me that my house doesnt exxiiiissstttt....nooooooooooooo oooooooo! :eek:

*goes and finds a cardboard box*
asdasta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income = Low (CORRECT)
Interest in current affairs = Medium (INCORRECT)
Housing - with mortgage = Low (INCORRECT)
Educated - to degree = Medium (INCORRECT)
Couples with children = Very low (INCORRECT)
Have satellite TV = Low (INCORRECT)
Gypsy King
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income Very high
Interest in current affairs Medium
Housing - with mortgage Very high
Couples with children Very high
Have satellite TV Very high

Oooh errr.... I'm not posh!

And my student house -

Family income Very high
Educated - to degree Very high
Have satellite TV Low

One thing is for certain, I don't have a high income! Well... yet
geetar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Family income High
Have satellite TV Medium
Tucking Fypo
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Just copied the whole thing.

Often, many of the people who live in this sort of postcode will be established home owning workers. These are known as type 30 in the ACORN classification and 3.64% of the UK’s population live in this type.

Neighbourhoods fitting this profile are found in Wolverhampton, Dudley, Darlington, Stoke, Rotherham and Mansfield. Here is an overview of the likely preferences and features of your neighbourhood:

Family income Medium
Educated - to degree Low
Have satellite TV Medium

These traditional blue-collar neighbourhoods contain predominantly married couples, families with older children and some empty nesters.

Formal educational qualifications are below average. People tend to work in routine occupations in manufacturing and retail, in a mixture of skilled, semi-skilled and manual jobs. Family incomes are average, and the main income is often supplemented by female part-time working.

Smaller semi-detached houses, usually with two or three bedrooms, are most common and account for two thirds of the housing stock in this type. Half of householders are buying their property on a mortgage with another third owning outright.

Most households have access to a car but usually a smaller, inexpensive model, possibly bought second hand.

These people are likely to take one main holiday a year, probably a packaged holiday to the Mediterranean or a camping or caravanning holiday in the UK.

Watching TV is a popular leisure activity, as is going to the cinema and sometimes bingo. Doing the football pools, gardening and visiting the pub are also common. Tabloid newspapers are favoured reading, and many listen to Radio 2.
Hmm..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (81)
45.76%
Pro-humanity (96)
54.24%

Watched Threads