Cambridge Linguistics Students and Applicants Watch

Daniel4389
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would always take notes during supervisions although I don't think everyone does. You almost certainly won't be on your own for them - Linguistics is quite a small subject so you're generally in with people from other colleges.
ZuzaMagda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm starting the Linguistics course this October. Is there any literature I should consider familiarising myself with before coming to Cambridge? Even more importantly, is there any obligatory reading that we are expected to do before starting the course?
Pachinko
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If anyone's interested in a snapshot of the kind of research that goes on at Cambridge, check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAYP4irSyQ
prettified
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My interview at King's for Linguistics will be on December 7! I'm pretty excited right now. Is anyone else going to be there on Tuesday and/or Wednesday?
jesuan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
emmmmm so did anyone get any offers?
Hippodamos
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you seen the new papers that might be available from 2012?

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/L...os/papers.html

Subject to confirmation: NEW Paper with effect from October 2012

Li 14: History of the French language
Li 15: First and second language acquisition
Li 16: Psychology of language processing and learning
Li 17: Language typology
Li 18: Computational linguistics
Mrs Cullen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hippodamos)
Have you seen the new papers that might be available from 2012?

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/L...os/papers.html

Subject to confirmation: NEW Paper with effect from October 2012

Li 14: History of the French language
Li 15: First and second language acquisition
Li 16: Psychology of language processing and learning
Li 17: Language typology
Li 18: Computational linguistics
Yeah, they look pretty good! I'm planning on taking Li15. The faculty secretary said that they're all pretty much guaranteed to be offered - they're just waiting for final confirmation this week. I think it's a shame there's nothing on sociolinguistics though, that would have been pretty cool. Apparently they're only offering papers in areas where they've got current research going though, so I guess they can't do everything.
bíborcsiga
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

This thread doesn't seem to be particularly active, but nevertheless I thought I'd pop in. I'll hopefully be applying for Linguistics this year, still deciding between colleges and would be happy to chat with current students/other applicants.

I'd also like to ask what kind of essays people normally send in as their written work. I'm an international student, so I have next to no idea what the appropriate length and topic could be. In case anyone reads my comment it would be nice to have some opinions on this.
jesuan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bíborcsiga)
Hi,

This thread doesn't seem to be particularly active, but nevertheless I thought I'd pop in. I'll hopefully be applying for Linguistics this year, still deciding between colleges and would be happy to chat with current students/other applicants.

I'd also like to ask what kind of essays people normally send in as their written work. I'm an international student, so I have next to no idea what the appropriate length and topic could be. In case anyone reads my comment it would be nice to have some opinions on this.
When I applied, I didn't have many essays subjects among my A levels, so the best thing I could send in was an essay of I think 1000 words from my French coursework, and I provided my own translation alongside it with a covering note.

---

With colleges, it can be good to have a DoS who is involved in the Linguistics course, but that's definitely not the only consideration. Incidentally, huge numbers of people apply to Kings (because of Bert Vaux being there I guess) and they can't all get in. The pooling system means the best candidates should still get offers from other colleges but then you don't get to choose where they put you. So think about some other factors and choose YOUR favourite college...

- How many students are there? Whereabouts is the accommodation for each of the three years? What are the rooms, bathrooms, internet connection like? Where will you get food?

- What's the library like? Do they have a good stock of Linguistics books (remember Linguistics is quite a new course) or will they buy in books quickly for you? How far will you have to go to classes, the department library, etc when you are busy studying?

- What are the sports facilities, bar, common room, etc like? Does the college have a strong focus on sports, music or something else that you could be involved in (you might get paid or go on trips abroad)?

- Where's the college located? Is it handy for the shops, the river, or whatever is important to you?

- Are there grants/bursaries/prizes/etc (i.e. MONEY) available to specific groups of students, e.g. to go to a particular part of the world in the summer; for students whose parents have a particular profession; for musicians, athletes, etc?

- Anything particular about the college's traditions, history, architecture etc that takes your fancy?

And that's not an exhaustive list so have an imagine about what will be important to you when you're living and studying hard in Cambridge for eight weeks at a time, three times a year.
bíborcsiga
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jesuan)
When I applied, I didn't have many essays subjects among my A levels, so the best thing I could send in was an essay of I think 1000 words from my French coursework, and I provided my own translation alongside it with a covering note.
Thank you for your advice!
CBondi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

Could anyone recommend which colleges are good to apply for if wanting to study linguistics? i.e. somewhere fairly close to the Sidgwick Site with good facilities and accomodation? I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of several colleges but am finding it extremely hard to decide!

Thanks
Kobie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CBondi)
Hey,

Could anyone recommend which colleges are good to apply for if wanting to study linguistics? i.e. somewhere fairly close to the Sidgwick Site with good facilities and accomodation? I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of several colleges but am finding it extremely hard to decide!

Thanks
i'm about to go into my second year at newnham, which probably fits the criteria you've listed better than any- really pretty college (google it!) with big rooms, antique furniture, good sports/drama facilities and ovens in the kitchens (seriously rare). living in college all 3 years means you'll be reliably closer to sidg than students at any other college- it's on the opposite side of the road to our lecture block! also, we generally have a higher linguistics intake than anywhere else- there were 3 of us in my year compared to the average of 1, meaning more people to help out if you get stuck.

before you go ahead i'd better point out that it is a girls' college and fear of the unknown/less traditional does put a lot of people off- but to put it simply, there are so many benefits to it that i wouldn't dream of being anywhere else :love: . all the negative things that immediately spring to mind when considering a single sex college just aren't true in practise

aside from that, i'd recommend selwyn- also really close and has a respectable linguistics population- queens' (on the basis of accommodation) and pembroke (good food and also reasonably close to sidg). for an arts subject ling has quite a lot of lecture/supervision hours in your first year and having spent so long at newn, i can imaging myself whining about having to walk from anywhere further out if my bike had broken down/it was raining! if you're not so bothered, clare, tit hall and emma are also really solid choices.
CBondi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, really helpful! Glad I've finally got a narrowed done list Just wondering, so trinity hall is a bit further out from the sidgwick site.. is it a manageable distance away? I like the look of it and just deciding if it should be one of my considerations
iyley
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,

Thanks
I personally would recommend one that has a Director of Studies of linguistics there - in the prospectus if they don't the person has cross or something next to them. But then again, this isn't massively important as you will still get supervisions elsewhere like other college linguists and I don't think has an effect at all on your education. This was just a personal choice for me.

Which ones are you thinking? Have you been able to have a look around?
Also, have a think about the aspects that are really important to you in a college, like jesuan says up the page.

Hope this helps
CBondi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iyley)
I personally would recommend one that has a Director of Studies of linguistics there - in the prospectus if they don't the person has cross or something next to them. But then again, this isn't massively important as you will still get supervisions elsewhere like other college linguists and I don't think has an effect at all on your education. This was just a personal choice for me.

Which ones are you thinking? Have you been able to have a look around?
Also, have a think about the aspects that are really important to you in a college, like jesuan says up the page.

Hope this helps

Through looking at the website and prospectus I really like the look of Emmanuel, Queens and Trinity Hall. Unfortunetly I haven't been down as I missed the open day and don't have the time/money to go now I'm back at college.. which is why it's so hard making a decision!

Thanks for the help, I'll continue looking further into it.. any thoughts on the three I mentioned?

Thanks a lot!!
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Through looking at the website and prospectus I really like the look of Emmanuel, Queens and Trinity Hall. Unfortunetly I haven't been down as I missed the open day and don't have the time/money to go now I'm back at college.. which is why it's so hard making a decision!

Thanks for the help, I'll continue looking further into it.. any thoughts on the three I mentioned?

Thanks a lot!!
Queens' has the most fantastic resident linguistics DoS - Ioanna Sitaridou. Great location: close to Sidgwick, close to town. Lively community, onsite accommodation for all three years, good food. But yeah, above all of this Ioanna is just an outstanding woman.

Ioanna's work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAYP4irSyQ
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Polymath)
Old post, but I know someone who did MML PI, then did his year abroad, then did Linguistics PII
Um, old is right - I've now graduated and did no linguistics whatsoever during my degree :p:

You wouldn't usually be able to do that - the standard route is to switch pre-YA, as the year abroad is technically Part II. Maybe if you change your mind while abroad though.
ConnorM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone - I've applied to study Linguistics (BA) at Kings Cambridge; is anyone on here studying at Kings or who know s anyone who is? Also how popular is the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
savingthestars
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've applied for Linguistics (BA) at Newnham. Is anyone here at Newnham at the moment? If so, the college felt really friendly and supportive when I was at the open day. Is it really like that? I'm terrified I'm going to be offered a place and then get there and not fit in at all!
ConnorM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by savingthestars)
I've applied for Linguistics (BA) at Newnham. Is anyone here at Newnham at the moment? If so, the college felt really friendly and supportive when I was at the open day. Is it really like that? I'm terrified I'm going to be offered a place and then get there and not fit in at all!
Seems as though we're a year late with this thread! Don't think we'll get much of a response. When's your interview anyway? Think we may have crossed paths in the Linguistics 2013 thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?