Turn on thread page Beta

I've become obsessed with living in America. What are the pros and cons? watch

ReputationRep:
    ^ no you're not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saima-10)
    Really? Wow, I'd heard that it was worse than ours...or am I wrong?
    You are wrong, they are far more advanced in high school then the equivalent in the UK. My sister is 15 and she is doing stuff that I did not even do in further maths. I couldn't even help her with her chemistry homework and for the record I got A's at A level in both Further Maths and Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Hey look, three San Diegans in this thread!

You serious?? I'm from San Diego and I've been going to school in Chico (Nor Cal) and I'd have to say a good half of the people from the Bay Area are absolute dimwits. They don't have the same stereotypes as Southern Californians for stupidity, but that's only because hardly anybody pays attention to the actual lifestyles of Northern California. Up here you just have a ton of bros, hard drug addicts, crazies who want to "secede" from California, white guys who think they're black, and just a general air of douchebaggery about. And the clothing styles are ridiculous, if I may add.

Not true about everyone of course, some of my best friends are from around here, but it's really overwhelming. Nor Cal is by no means any better than So Cal as far as intelligence goes.

Oh, and don't forget, Nor Cal has Oakland. O.O
    Well no offense, but Chico isn't exactly representative of NorCal in general...sorry to burst your bubble there. If you are basing your entire evaluation on your experience in Chico, then I can see where you would get that idea. And, half dimwitted isn't a bad ratio compared to my experience in SoCal :p:

Also, are you implying that SoCal doesn't have "a ton of bros, hard drug addicts, crazies who want to "secede" from California, white guys who think they're black, and just a general air of douchebaggery about"??? Because I would for sure question that judgment.

And of course we have Oakland...among all the other cities there as well. By that same "argument", I could say, "Well SoCal is nice, but it has East LA..." Even then, Oakland may have its tough areas, but the Oakland hills have some of the most amazing houses and views in the area, and is a stark contrast to the Oakland that most people know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlysonJ220)
    Well no offense, but Chico isn't exactly representative of NorCal in general...sorry to burst your bubble there. If you are basing your entire evaluation on your experience in Chico, then I can see where you would get that idea. And, half dimwitted isn't a bad ratio compared to my experience in SoCal :p:

Also, are you implying that SoCal doesn't have "a ton of bros, hard drug addicts, crazies who want to "secede" from California, white guys who think they're black, and just a general air of douchebaggery about"??? Because I would for sure question that judgment.

And of course we have Oakland...among all the other cities there as well. By that same "argument", I could say, "Well SoCal is nice, but it has East LA..." Even then, Oakland may have its tough areas, but the Oakland hills have some of the most amazing houses and views in the area, and is a stark contrast to the Oakland that most people know.
    Well going to Chico State, it definitely does give me a good sense of what people are like in Nor Cal, because it's a melting pot for all of the northern part of the state. I'm not evaluating my entire NorCal experience on it, I'm just evaluating the kind of people that you deal with up here. Most people here come from San Francisco and the surrounding areas (most of which are idiotic douches, as I pointed out), many come from Sacramento (better than the Bay), and a few come from the more rural areas (better than Sacramento, but still a lot of rednecks).

But it's not just Chico either. I do spend a lot of time in San Francisco, as well as Sacramento. I've seen the people in their natural environment, and they're not much better. If a Brit were to spend some time here, they would swear that every chav from Britain changed their accent and came over to live in Nor Cal.

Also, SoCal definitely does not have as many bros as NorCal. They do have a lot of drug addicts, yes, but I've come to meet a lot more since I came up here (Butte county has a higher per capita rate of meth abuse than anywhere in California). They do have a lot of white guys that think they're black, but try and compare that to Antioch or something where everyone thinks they're black. And no, we don't have any crazies who want to secede from California. :p:

And Oakland. Yes, we do have East LA, but keep in mind that it's part of the actual city of LA, which isn't that bad. You have Oakland which has one nice area compared to the rest of the city which is crap, and you have LA which has a couple bad areas compared to the rest of the city which isn't that bad. LA > Oakland, hands down.

Now I have nothing against Northern California, because I do love it up here. I'm just incredibly annoyed by NorCalers thinking that they're superior to the rest of us, and creating that "war" between the two halves of the state. Instead of talking about how SoCal sucks and stereotyping everyone who lives down there as bleached blonde rich kids, they need to realize that we're the same state, and nobody cares about their self-proclaimed superiority.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in America when I was a kid, not in California but I have visited various areas of it, north and south, and didn't really care for the state overall. Americas great in the sense that you get more for your money but theres certain aspects of the culture I really don't care for so I wouldn't ever move back. Everything is completely focussed on America, if you mention anything happening elsewhere in the world most people won't know what you are talking about or where the country you're talking about is. I've met people who think Europe is a country.

It is pretty difficult to move over their now. My sister married an American ?4 years ago and they do checks on you to make sure you aren't marrying to gain residence and after you marry theres a period of time where you aren't allowed to leave the country, my sister has another few months left before she can come to the UK to visit. To get a work permit you'll need a good career.

ReputationRep:
    Well going to Chico State, it definitely does give me a good sense of what people are like in Nor Cal, because it's a melting pot for all of the northern part of the state. I'm not evaluating my entire NorCal experience on it, I'm just evaluating the kind of people that you deal with up here. Most people here come from San Francisco and the surrounding areas (most of which are idiotic douches, as I pointed out), many come from Sacramento (better than the Bay), and a few come from the more rural areas (better than Sacramento, but still a lot of rednecks).

But it's not just Chico either. I do spend a lot of time in San Francisco, as well as Sacramento. I've seen the people in their natural environment, and they're not much better. If a Brit were to spend some time here, they would swear that every chav from Britain changed their accent and came over to live in Nor Cal.

Also, SoCal definitely does not have as many bros as NorCal. They do have a lot of drug addicts, yes, but I've come to meet a lot more since I came up here (Butte county has a higher per capita rate of meth abuse than anywhere in California). They do have a lot of white guys that think they're black, but try and compare that to Antioch or something where everyone thinks they're black. And no, we don't have any crazies who want to secede from California. :p:

And Oakland. Yes, we do have East LA, but keep in mind that it's part of the actual city of LA, which isn't that bad. You have Oakland which has one nice area compared to the rest of the city which is crap, and you have LA which has a couple bad areas compared to the rest of the city which isn't that bad. LA > Oakland, hands down.

Now I have nothing against Northern California, because I do love it up here. I'm just incredibly annoyed by NorCalers thinking that they're superior to the rest of us, and creating that "war" between the two halves of the state. Instead of talking about how SoCal sucks and stereotyping everyone who lives down there as bleached blonde rich kids, they need to realize that we're the same state, and nobody cares about their self-proclaimed superiority.
    I didn't know there was this rivalry going on with North vs South. That's so lame. We all need to know every place has its bad and good and generalizing sections as a whole is ignorant. It's like saying all Muslims are terrorists.:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Pros: It's hot.

Cons: A black man will shoot you.

I've just got one question - 'When can you start?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyclone33)
    I didn't know there was this rivalry going on with North vs South. That's so lame. We all need to know every place has its bad and good and generalizing sections as a whole is ignorant. It's like saying all Muslims are terrorists.:shifty:
    I didn't know that either until I moved up here and was treated like dirt by a lot of people for being from San Diego.

Really, it's all in their heads. The Northerners think there's some big rivalry, the Southerners have no idea. It's kind of funny to see how crazy they get about it when everything they do goes unnoticed by the rest of us. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that either until I moved up here and was treated like dirt by a lot of people for being from San Diego.

Really, it's all in their heads. The Northerners think there's some big rivalry, the Southerners have no idea. It's kind of funny to see how crazy they get about it when everything they do goes unnoticed by the rest of us. :p:
    I'm moving into your house soon to sleep on your couch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Well, as a kid i used to wanna live in America, but i've decided i'd hate it though. The major factor is the lack of free (at the point of delivery) healthcare, i don't think i could live with that system, not just personally, but the sick being refused treatment/prescriptions would kill me. Also, the politics seems to be a 2 party race and the poor schools tend to be really bad.

The lack of the BBC would also haunt me, i like having an independent television service.

However, you stand differently to me politically so you may like it tbh.
    BBC world I think it is called.

ReputationRep:

Seriously. Nor Cal has slangs too. Someone called me beezy. I didnt know what it meant until i looked it up on urbandictionary.com

Friend of mine at UC Davis says NorCal people say "hella" alot. "That's hella sweet!"

ReputationRep:
    cons, large people that use up alot of resources e.g mc d's... pros cheap clothes, cars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *AllyBaba)
    I'm moving into your house soon to sleep on your couch
    Woo! It's served me well!

Seriously. Nor Cal has slangs too. Someone called me beezy. I didnt know what it meant until i looked it up on urbandictionary.com

Friend of mine at UC Davis say NorCal people say "hella" alot. "That's hella sweet!"
    Yeah, they do say that. It starts to chisel at your soul after about a week. @[email protected]

They substitute it for like every word imaginable. They use it for "very," as in, "that guy's hella fat," they use it to mean "a lot," as in "there's hella chicks in that club," they use it to to express agreement, as in:

Guy 1: Wanna go to McDonald's?
    Guy 2: Awww, hella!

It's quite ridiculous, really.

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's hilarious.

By the way, why did you go to Chico? You wanted to get out San Diego, huh?

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's hilarious.

By the way, why did you go to Chico? You wanted to get out San Diego, huh?
    Aha, maybe. Try growing up in Vista, you'll wanna get away too! :p:

ReputationRep:
    are you kiding me, randomly pick a place, have you just watched the O.C or something.
    its area is twice that of the UK, which part??

pros-
    if in SOUTHERN California it is warm
    culture is pretty good- a lot of racial groups in the cities, urban areas and rural, gay scene in San Francisco and West Hollywood

CONS
    risk of earthquakes, tsunamis, smog in L.A, wildfires in the south,
    L.A is mega racially segregated - even the hispanics seperate into mexican and guatamalan areas.
    high crime rate in LA, although has decreased
    high homeless rate in San Francisco
    NO FREE HEALTHCARE
    you will be associated with America- the rest of the world will hate you

ReputationRep:
    to be honest id love to live in the states

particularly colorado, some parts of california, idaho or oregon, maybe chicago

ReputationRep:
    Aha, maybe. Try growing up in Vista, you'll wanna get away too! :p:

:p: :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicaleconomist)
    you will be associated with America- the rest of the world will hate you
    Except Albania.

:p: :p: :p:
    It's true though!

ReputationRep:
    But you can hit the beach and go to SeaWorld all the time!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.