Lib dem question time Watch

Podgeykins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
That would be null and void, there is reasons for it becoming a pmb, mainly the party not having full support for it.
I mentioned it did become a PMB, but i'm asking would he support such a move.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Podgeykins)
I mentioned it did become a PMB, but i'm asking would he support such a move.
Fair enough, but i will say again that the lib dems were divided on that bill and as such it doesnt matter. There is no party line.
Podgeykins
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So bills your making are also not gaining the support of your party?

What are you exactly leading?
DayneD89
Rep:
?
I said it didnt have full party support. Hence its withdrawal.
Podgeykins
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good,

Also when Nick Clegg became leader he proposed that he would like to make Social Mobility a reality again,

Do you believe, here today that there is no social mobility under the efforts of the Labour Government, and how would you do it differently?
DayneD89
Rep:
?
I shall post an answer to that tommorow when there is a pc in front of me.
Alasdair
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Is mattbroon spying on other parties for the Liberal Democrats now?
DayneD89
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alasdair)
Is mattbroon spying on other parties for the Liberal Democrats now?
I have his word that he will not be spying, and you have mine that he will be evicted if he does.
Musty_Elbow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can promise that under no cirumstances will i be taking part in spying.

If, for any bizzarre turn of events I was to, then i would immeadiately accept full expulsion both from the party and the House as a whole. HOwever, I can assure you thiswill not happen.
Alasdair
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mattbroon)
I can promise that under no cirumstances will i be taking part in spying.

If, for any bizzarre turn of events I was to, then i would immeadiately accept full expulsion both from the party and the House as a whole. HOwever, I can assure you thiswill not happen.
So why didn't you "accept full expulsion from the house as a whole" last time?

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that the Liberals accepted somebody so clearly old-skool Tory in his outlook.
Musty_Elbow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that the Liberals accepted somebody so clearly old-skool Tory in his outlook.
Frankly, I think thats not your concern.

And as to your first point, a thorough analysis occured at the time, and does not need to be revisited.
DayneD89
Rep:
?

Tbf he did for quite a while. Also remember that one member is a minority, and thus cannot change party policy.
paperclip
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
Tbf he did for quite a while. Also remember that one member is a minority, and thus cannot change party policy.
Yes but i am intrigued about your party accepting him, he claims to be socially liberal, but every party is (according to the political compass), it's obvious the tories wouldn't accept him back but his motivations for joining you guys seem strange to me, his views fit more with the libertarians, who are liberal and right wing. Imo, he just wants a party where he's more likely to get a seat after next election.

However, i'm glad your party was willing to overlook the skeletons in his closet and accept him.
Alasdair
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paperclip)
However, i'm glad your party was willing to overlook the skeletons in his closet and accept him.
...because it gives us plenty of ammunition.
Musty_Elbow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...because it gives us plenty of ammunition.
Your hillarious alasdair.
I wont bring up your speakership:everyone makes mistakes.
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So if i'm reading this right, an independent audit needs to be set up, to audit thousands of shops across the UK on items that you classify as "luxury."

Take a car for example,

Is this luxury? Some people need it for work so it becomes a necessity.

This scheme would require tax-payers money to be funded, where is the money coming from to ensure that businesses are complying with the new law? It would indeed have to be an extentsive network of auditors.

So now put this on a wide-scale,

Laptops, Phones, Computers, Beds, Cupboards, Televisions, Gaming Consoles, Expensive Plates, Boxers, Fireplaces, Sofa's, Holidays, Musical Instruments, Tents, etc, etc, etc.

There is simply, too much to regulate. And if I must go further, this will significantly damage business competition, who compete to attract the customers.

This might work for alcohol in Scotland, but that's based on 1 particular item, not a vast-amount.

Naturally this would be a complex proposal to put into practice, but by no means is this impossible to do. If we thought effective regulation was a difficult thing to do and allowed this to put us off, then nothing would ever get regulated.

I disagree with this damaging business competition. If anything, it will help to sustain the competitive element in the long run, especially when you consider that businesses won't have to accept extremely low prices for their goods/services (and end up going bust due to greater cash outflow than inflow).

Also, the variety of cars is so complex, it would take extensive regulating to ensure the prices are kept at a fair price and this in turn would damage the Car Industry, as people would just buy second-hand cars using these types of websites, http://www.usedcarsni.com/
I'm very glad you said this actually- this scenario just shows that this economic policy will work in the end. Due to greater demand for second-hand cars, prices will start to rise. Eventually prices will have risen to the extent that people will think 'if I can buy a second-hand car for this much, I might as well get a brand new car that's below it's market price at the moment.' And bingo, demand starts to increase for brand new cars, and the price fall for new cars will not only stop, it will reverse. This will effectively end the problem of deflation for now.
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TomGeorge)
Wouldnt setting minimum prices be at a cost to the consumer. Why should in effect the consumer pay a premium to prop companies which is manufacturing good which do not meet the needs of market?
Another case of inexact economic theory being used. Consumers will not be paying any premium whatsoever. You must bear in mind that goods/services will already be priced at well below their original market price, we'll just be stopping them falling further.

And it's not a case of 'manufacturing goods which do not meet the needs of the market', it's more a case of consumers wanting these goods but deciding to wait before buying them (effectively fuelling the problem of deflation). It is this issue of deflation that the minimum price proposal aims to tackle.
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, it creates an incentive not to spend, that's why the Alcohol one was introduced...
With regards to this proposal being applied to alcohol, this good will now be sold at above its market price. Hence the idea being that demand will fall.

In the case of deflation, people are waiting to spend later because they think that prices are still going to fall. When we put an end to the fall in prices, it's a signal to the consumers that prices are not going to fall any more, and bearing this in mind, consumers will spend instantly knowing that from now on if prices are going to change, they will only go up. (hence, they'll want to snap up the bargains whilst they're there!)
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's worrying that Hebe is taking leadership over the economic aspects.
It's called being an economic spokesman!

Let me make one thing clear: Dayne is the leader of the party, he has my full support in this and the support of other members as well (which is why he won the leadership election). He has delegated responsibility to me to deal with economic matters and this is what I will do.

The way I see it, I don't think the Tories enjoy seeing a opposition party that's more united and more organised than them! :p:
hebe001
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who is leading this party?

You may have won the moral support of your party, but was hebe not in direct competition with you?

Perhaps it's time you allow someone to take control of the Liberal Party, who is capable of answering questions on all fronts, including the economy.

These are your spokesmen, but what exactly do you do in terms of leadership?
See above mate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.52%
No (286)
74.48%

Watched Threads