Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Pub, back for torchwood, a bit drunk, then back to the pub!

ReputationRep:
    Was a bit disappointed with today's episode.
    They basically spent the whole episode trying to get access the 456 thing** and then when they get there Jack calls it's bluff and loses and a load of people die.

Its starting to look like they need the Doctor to help them out. Not cool. He better not cameo in to save the day. that would be so bad.

** Does it remind anyone else of those things out of Half Life if anyone remembers that =P
    the pecky one and the squid with legs thing? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Pub, back for torchwood, a bit drunk, then back to the pub!
    I could try, have work at 10am mind. Oh decisions, decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I actually CRIED soooo much when ianto died. Torchwood is no longer going to be Torchwood. They've got tomorrow's episode to redeem themselves. After that, I am never going back.

I am one unhappy fangirl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    I just read "Martha will be the new doctor"...

Ohhh please tell me that was some sort of joke you madeupto compensate for Ianto's death :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScillyRose)
    Ohhh please tell me that was some sort of joke you madeupto compensate for Ianto's death :'(
    I was just quoting someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    This owns:

LMAO I so love that!!!!

And tbh it makes perfect sense them bringing Martha in now =[ Introducing newcharacterstakes a lot of time, and 3 new recruits at once would just ruin the show... so I suppose they have to =[

ReputationRep:
    I really hope they don't make Martha a regular character. I never liked her... which could possibly have something to do with the fact that she replaced Rose...but I have always thought that her character lacked depth and her acting was a bit wooden. Don't get me wrong, I like Freema Ageman and thought she was brill in Law and Order Uk but for some reason she just never fitted into Doctor Who or Torchwood.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo :'(

I actually cried so much at the end of ep.4 - why oh WHY did it have to be him?

I can't believe I have to work this evening either, I need to see that last episode. Iplayer at 1am again I think.

ReputationRep:
    i missed the first two seasons. does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    ^^I missed the 2nd series and ive had no problems at all watching this series.

ReputationRep:
    Day 4 was nothing but a let down, for me it just seemed like RTD was living up to his critics opinions of starting on a high and ending on a very very low, it seemed pointless to kill off Ianto just as they were starting to develop his character, it seemed like it was done purely for the shock value, why did he even go with Jack?

If tonight does not rectify the situation then I'm out for good, "Jack Ianto fans will be happy?" I'm not happy at the moment, one last chance RTD you can't just kill off all your characters every day, your work is only any good when your fans have faith in it, shock value works breifly but it's the fans who have been there from day one that keep ratings afloat and those are the ones that should be kept happy.

Too many characters killed in too short a time is no good for a series because it means the stability falls away, and with everyone dying Torchwood seems like a mirror image of Doctor Who, just one guy loosing those he loves all the time and finding new ones to replace them that aren't nerely as good.

Jack's character grew with Ianto and their relationship was becoming stronger, I get RTD has a habit of killing off one of the characters in a gay relationship (just take a look at Queer as folk) but I think the Jack Ianto factor was what gave this series an edge, it opened peoples minds, even if to begin with it squicked people a little they kept watching and became used to it, it paved the way for equality, for understanding and you can't just let something disappear when it has the chance to change peoples perspectives in such a great way. :eek3:
    More to the point, where is the series going to go now? Like I said the Jack/Ianto Janto factor gave it an edge, the character interaction that people love to watch, if RTD recreates that with a new character it's just insensitive and tedious and can't live up to the original, not to mention he'll loose fans, if not then Jack becomes less of a character we can believe in, just a lone gunman all of his life, finding love and loosing it just as quickly, Ianto gave him his humanity and that should be something to keep and explore, Ianto was a character that had the chance for immense development which I think it the best thing a writer and director can have.

A whole new team will do nothing to bring in ratings, I don't want to watch a bunch of random people trying to become as good as the ones we all fell in love with. Tosh and Owen dying was a shock, but it was done tastefully, even then I think viewers were hanging in the balance, can the series work without them? Season 3 was the chance to clarify to re-vamp and to come in swinging not to go out on a dull ripple that no one will remember, the death of Ianto felt rushed, un-needed and to put it simply silly, the character did not need to be killed off it's the whole Dallas complex, and what was the point in saving the character twice already only to kill him off now??

Well sorry for the rant but those are my thoughts I think bringing him back will be far more beneficial for the series and leave it open for another if not then it's just another spin off that fades to nothingness and another of those "oh was that it?" for RTD who can do far better, I'm keeping faith, tonight is the be all or end all...

Lets all watch this space,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkybar)
    i missed the first two seasons. does it matter?
    Nah, it doesn't really matter! It's a different story anyway, and it's easy to follow, so I would definitely still watch it!

ReputationRep:
    Depraved Doll, I totally agree with you on everything you said there. I have become totally disillusioned with the show now, because, like you say, the relationship that was progressing between Jack and Ianto did give it a kind of edge and emotional connection.

The only reason I will be watching tonight is to see if they can bring him back, and I really hope they do or I don't think I'll want to watch the show anymore. That may seem a little petty to people, but the 'original' team will always be the best and when they needlessly kill people off, it just slowly erodes away at the show. I don't want a new team, I will always prefer the originals.

Humph.

ReputationRep:
    I know, If they haven't planned to bring him back they will lose loads of fans. Tosh and Owen were bad enough, but that kind of made sense, this didn't. You have a lot of making up to do Davies, I really don't want tonight to be the last episode of torchwood i watch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Depraved Doll)
    lots of stuff that makes sense
    +repped.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, you guys seem to be in the minority in not liking the episode.
    Most other places I've read, people seem to be saying it's a shame that Ianto's gone, but that it was a fantastic episode - and I don't see how you can deny that.

It might turn out to be a poor decision (personally, I liked Ianto, but the whole "are we a couple?" thing was starting to grate on me) but you have to admit it was brilliant tv. I'd say far from a let down. I was expecting the series to get worse as the episodes went on, but IMO they're simply going the other way.

Edit: And I had forgotten how funny he used to be.
    But we haven't really seen that recently....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Most other places I've read, people seem to be saying it's a shame that Ianto's gone, but that it was a fantastic episode - and I don't see how you can deny that.

It might turn out to be a poor decision (personally, I liked Ianto, but the whole "are we a couple?" thing was starting to grate on me) but you have to admit it was brilliant tv. I'd say far from a let down. I was expecting the series to get worse as the episodes went on, but IMO they're simply going the other way.
    Yeah, I thought that this weeks episodes have actually been the best Torchwood episodes yet! Can't wait for tonight!

ReputationRep:
    I liked the episode, just hate that Ianto is gone :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by lozz2601
    Yeah, I thought that the episode was absolutely amazing - I just really, really, really wish Ianto hadn't died! Where do I get my canonical slash from NOW? :mad:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.