Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well it would never make the Newcastle cut-off, and for the Durham cut-off, it doesn't look good....

ReputationRep:
    are they the places you really wanted to go?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.... Anyone have any advice? Would be much appreciated....

ReputationRep:
    Retake it? I dunno how that works in the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    You can't retake it in the same year of application, would have to wait until application next year... Only choice left that I have a chance with is Leeds... gutted...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    I was doing well, good GCSES, good AS levels/A2 predictions, good PS, then today suddenly got a UKCAT of 617.5....... That's really made me depressed, what can I do???
    Hi!

Don't be depressed!

You haven't messed up your chances for Newcastle or Durham. The cut-off last year was around 610, so you still have a chance of getting an interview.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm applying to Newcastle with 625 average. Admittedly, I'd feel much safer applying with a higher UKCAT score (like 650) but I *desperately* want to go there and am willing to take the risk.

So I think you should definitely apply if you want to go there, however I would recommend you to only apply to one of them. I love the course structure at both Newcastle and Durham, but chose not to apply to both in case the cut-off score becomes higher than what I've achieved.

Good luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failure By Design)
    Hi!

Don't be depressed!

You haven't messed up your chances for Newcastle or Durham. The cut-off last year was around 610, so you still have a chance of getting an interview.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm applying to Newcastle with 625 average. Admittedly, I'd feel much safer applying with a higher UKCAT score (like 650) but I *desperately* want to go there and am willing to take the risk.

So I think you should definitely apply if you want to go there, however I would recommend you to only apply to one of them. I love the course structure at both Newcastle and Durham, but chose not to apply to both in case the cut-off score becomes higher than what I've achieved.

Good luck with your application!
    Hi, how do you know lasts year's cut-off was around 610? Where did that info come from?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, how do you know lasts year's cut-off was around 610? Where did that info come from?
    How I know?

1. I stalked the 'I've been called for an INTERVIEW!! Anyone else?' thread in the Newcastle section of NMM and found that the person with the lowest UKCAT score to get interviewed there had 611 and on TSR, the lowest UKCAT score to get an interview had 610 (this user also got an offer!!).
    Here's the link to the thread I refered to:
    http://www.newmediamedicine.com/foru...e-else-19.html
    EDIT: To save you from having to go read the 20+ pages of the thread like I did (Yes, I badly want to go to Newcastle) just to confirm my claim, on page 18-20 (or something like that) you'll find the chap who got interviewed with 611.
    It seems as if the lower your UKCAT score the later in the admissions round you're likely to get interviewed. Though there are exceptions.

2. I also emailed the admissions offices at Newcastle and Durham asking about the cut-off score. While Newcastle admissions refused to disclose the cut-off score, Durham said that it was in the low 600s (they wouldn't give the exact score, but this confirms what I read on NMM: that people with 610+ were getting interviewed last year.) As Durham admissions was so helpful, I then asked them whether the cut-off score was the same for Newcastle and Durham and they said that it was.

ReputationRep:
    Id apply mine was 620 something in 2007 and i got an interview and subsequent offer. But only risk one of them incase the cut off changes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failure By Design)
    How I know?

1. I stalked the 'I've been called for an INTERVIEW!! Anyone else?' thread in the Newcastle section of NMM and found that the person with the lowest UKCAT score to get interviewed there had 611 and on TSR, the lowest UKCAT score to get an interview had 610 (this user also got an offer!!).
    Here's the link to the thread I refered to:
    http://www.newmediamedicine.com/foru...e-else-19.html
    EDIT: To save you from having to go read the 20+ pages of the thread like I did (Yes, I badly want to go to Newcastle) just to confirm my claim, on page 18-20 (or something like that) you'll find the chap who got interviewed with 611.
    It seems as if the lower your UKCAT score the later in the admissions round you're likely to get interviewed. Though there are exceptions.

2. I also emailed the admissions offices at Newcastle and Durham asking about the cut-off score. While Newcastle admissions refused to disclose the cut-off score, Durham said that it was in the low 600s (they wouldn't give the exact score, but this confirms what I read on NMM: that people with 610+ were getting interviewed last year.) As Durham admissions was so helpful, I then asked them whether the cut-off score was the same for Newcastle and Durham and they said that it was.
    It really is a risk applying to Newscastle or Durham with my score of 617.5, big chance that I'll get a straight rejection, always thought that was the place for me, yet this UKCAT obviously does get rid of a lot of prospective good doctors if you know what I mean...

ReputationRep:
    It really is a risk applying to Newscastle or Durham with my score of 617.5, big chance that I'll get a straight rejection, always thought that was the place for me, yet this UKCAT obviously does get rid of a lot of prospective good doctors if you know what I mean...
    Yeah, it is a risk.... but if it's where you want to study, then apply! It's only one choice. You could apply to another university (instead of Newcastle, because you think your UKCAT's too low) and still get rejected without interview for some other reason (PS, reference, grades... whatever - all medical schools are competitive and they're all looking for different things!) and you wouldn't want to regret not applying to Newcastle. I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise caution - I'm just saying if it's your first choice, then I think you should apply and just hope for the best.

Btw, no one's really "safe" for Newcastle without 650+ (it's a risk for me, too). All I'm hoping is that lots of people who got high UKCAT scores don't apply to Newcastle just because they know they will get an interview there (you know, strategic applications). I really want to go there.

Agreed about the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keiv_aston)
    so do you think i should go for Aberdeen instead of Leicester ?
    I think you should phone up the unis you are interested in. I haven't looked at many in the North, let alone Scotland (I'd prefer to stay in the South!), so I can't advise you on Aberdeen. Ask the admissions tutors/staff how they use the UKCAT and if they think your score is adequate. Sorry I'm not much more of a help.

ReputationRep:

Just did my UKCAT and got a 610 average.

410 (abstract, ran out of time without realising... such an idiot)

I got 665 last year.
    So upset!

ReputationRep:
    Is 640 ok to apply to Barts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)

Just did my UKCAT and got a 610 average.

410 (abstract, ran out of time without realising... such an idiot)

I got 665 last year.
    So upset!
    arrgh im angry for you, if it wasnt for AR your average would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    arrgh im angry for you, if it wasnt for AR your average would be great
    I know.

Ugh such a piss take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    I know.

Ugh such a piss take.
    dw it wil alright. Just avoid unis that love ukcat lol. Im slyly scared about my test on saturday :o:

ReputationRep:
    623 enough to apply for notts, kings and georges?

ReputationRep:
    id like to know the above

ReputationRep:
    You might have trouble with KCL.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.