Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pioneer5)
    hey, i was looking around for an education loan too and came across this http://www.smartloans.sg/pages/educationloan ...u need to mark the "have you received the acceptance letter - yes"... they will require a copy of your acceptance letter which they will ask later. if not they will send an e-mail without any edu loan suggestions n ask for a copy of the acceptance letter like what happened to me...
    awesome. great suggestion! thanks loads!

where/when/what course are you going to uk for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eirelavtan)
    medicine cos it draws me in (: both as an art & science.

kcl cos
    1. i want to live in the uk. personal thing.
    2. teaching quality is decent
    3. imperial is too expensive
    4. ucl (cheaper by 40k sgd!) rejected me.
    I see, I'm not too sure about post-study work policies in the UK but i myself would like to work in London after I graduate. Or anywhere around the world!

ReputationRep:
    apparently imperial did not require it, but kcl does?

im not happy about it either, cos other singaporeans studying @ kings do not need the IELTS.
    Is this only for a medicine degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I miss drinking kopi o (which was what initially attracted me to this thread).
    what's up?

There's loads of singaporeans in london universities, some of them have even forgotten how to write mandarin. Main point is that you'll never feel alone :')

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been trying to inform my school and ucas of my change in passport details. I applied for a new one after finding out that my old passport will expire before I finish my course. I have beeen trying to get the change reflected as i don't wish for my visa application to have problem because of the old passport details that will be reflected in the CAS.

However, my attempts have been rather unsuccessful. My school (Bristol) told me that i can change it in ucas but there is no option in ucas(track) that allows me to do it. I have been calling ucas since yesterday but I have never been able to get through and I received an automated response for my email to them.

Has anyone had any experience in informing your school/ucas of the change in your passport details? If yes, I do appreciate your help in telling me how the change was effected.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    Hmmmm, i didn't have these problems in contacting the LSE office. Having said that, they're taking terribly long to verify my A level cert and give me my CAS.
    My university hasn't even sent me anything regarding the need to verify my A levels? (Though I did get a deferred unconditional last year)

And i emailed the medical school office and they said they'll have the CAS ready for int'l students "by the end of May".

Well, it's already the end of May isn't it? :mad:

(Uni of Leeds, medicine)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jingyao)
    Hi, I have been trying to inform my school and ucas of my change in passport details. I applied for a new one after finding out that my old passport will expire before I finish my course. I have beeen trying to get the change reflected as i don't wish for my visa application to have problem because of the old passport details that will be reflected in the CAS.

However, my attempts have been rather unsuccessful. My school (Bristol) told me that i can change it in ucas but there is no option in ucas(track) that allows me to do it. I have been calling ucas since yesterday but I have never been able to get through and I received an automated response for my email to them.

Has anyone had any experience in informing your school/ucas of the change in your passport details? If yes, I do appreciate your help in telling me how the change was effected.

Thanks!
    Try looking for the UCAS group on Facebook. They answered my questions both promptly and clearly!

ReputationRep:
    KCL is not great teaching.

see the ranks - going down and quite justified.

No PSW anymore - new UK gov have abolished it.

don't fantasise, dumb SG students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by volante)
    Try looking for the UCAS group on Facebook. They answered my questions both promptly and clearly!
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I had my question addressed there and was also provided with an email address to send my details to for updating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    My university hasn't even sent me anything regarding the need to verify my A levels? (Though I did get a deferred unconditional last year)

And i emailed the medical school office and they said
    they'll have the CAS ready for int'l students "by the
    end of May".

Well, it's already the end of May isn't it? :mad:
    (Uni of Leeds, medicine)
    Just checked with a senior and it's common not to have recieved your CAS by now, so there's nothing to worry about. It should, however, come by the next few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I contacted a local rep for some of the UK unis and they said that CAS will most likely be given out starting from June.

However, apparently visa will now be processed in Manila instead of KL?! I only have their word on this, VFS still says it will be processed in KL but god knows how often their website is updated.

ReputationRep:
    hey.. anyone work in uk after complete their study? since the chance is so so small..

ReputationRep:
    awesome. great suggestion! thanks loads!

where/when/what course are you going to uk for?
    No problem...glad it was helpful...well, stupid me screwed up my A levels so im gona do a foundation programme 1st...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellameow)
    hey.. anyone work in uk after complete their study? since the chance is so so small..
    What are you studying? I know lots of medics who have stayed instead of going back to SG. Oh, I have one friend who has a degree in Actuarial Science, graduated for a few years now and is working in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remy-Rae)
    What are you studying? I know lots of medics who have stayed instead of going back to SG. Oh, I have one friend who has a degree in Actuarial Science, graduated for a few years now and is working in London.
    Hmm, what about Physics? Thx for the info btw

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys...

Going to LSE to take Management.

2 questions.

Any1 in LSE now? haha.

Is it worth going all the way there and paying all the $$ to do Management (not some "better" degrees like Econs etc), albeit in LSE though... Or should I stay local...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone gotten their CAS no yet?

ReputationRep:
    hey just wanna check. usually if you book 40 weeks of accommodation, it will cover Christmas & Easter breaks. What do you do with all your personal belongings when you return to S'pore in June (for the summer break)? Do you purchase storage from somewhere or you bring all the stuff back to S'pore and back again in Oct? Thank you!
    ---
    Exeter LLB Oct '11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geraldto)
    hey just wanna check. usually if you book 40 weeks of accommodation, it will cover Christmas & Easter breaks. What do you do with all your personal belongings when you return to S'pore in June (for the summer break)? Do you purchase storage from somewhere or you bring all the stuff back to S'pore and back again in Oct? Thank you!
    ---
    Exeter LLB Oct '11
    Yes need an answer to this too!

ReputationRep:
    If you have friends already living there, you can stash whatever you leave behind with them and resume apartment hunting when you are back.

But if that option is not open to you, most people are forced hunt for apartments during april-may and lease it through june-sept even though you won't be there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.