The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
What happens if you answered all of it up to A* standard but didn't compare it with another poem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2581
The unseen poem was nice.
Original post by Ryan075
Ahh yeah. I answered the one about the river god and compared it to ozymandias

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wanted to answer that one, but in a brief moment of confusion when I first opened up the booklet I couldn't think of how Ozymandias related to 'conflict' (or whatever the question was) so I went for Casehistory instead. :tongue: I think it was because I was expecting the question for River God to be on powerful characters so it threw me off.

However, halfway through my exam the mounted tv in our exam hall randomly started pumping out Jazz music really loudly and it continued to do so for like 5 minutes. :mad: It was funny at first but soon became very annoying!!
(edited 10 years ago)
I wrote 8.5 pages!
I revised the Sonnets inside out and inside out for hours! And they came up!
The unseen was nice.
Reply 2584
I did the relationship cluster, and I chose to answer Born Yesterday since I revised that one a lot, however stupidly I forgot to compare it with another poem until the last paragraph would I loose a lot of marks even though I answered in detail and gave more than one interpretation all the way through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olympiad
YAY. SONNET 116 CAME UP. YAY.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote 8.5 pages because that's the poem I spent 3-4hours revising all of yesterday and today till the exam!!!!

How much did you write?

I wrote around 4 paragraphs for unseen poem, missed out conclusion (o well only 3-4 marks at most for conclusion)
I'm so happy with how that exam went, I hope I've done well! For the first one I chose 'Casehistory: Alison (head injury)' and compared it with 'On a Portrait of a Deaf Man' linking to the theme of identity. I talked a lot about how their identity had began to crumble a lot and how other people viewed them as suggested in the poems, so hopefully that's a suitable comparison? Then for the unseen I wrote quite a lot because I was really into it and found it quite interesting, despite some people saying it was boring? I found there was loads to say about it and I hopefully got a good overall interpretation that the examiner will understand (I was writing so fast with loads to say so I hope it still makes sense...)
Reply 2587
Original post by cleveradam
I wrote 8.5 pages!
I revised the Sonnets inside out and inside out for hours! And they came up!
The unseen was nice.

How? We had 75 minutes! Quality over quantity...
I thought the exam went well today, and thankfully my decision to just revise the poems that hadn't come up yet paid off. I spent the three hours I had before the exam revising the crap out of the four poems which hadn't come up, and thankfully two of them came up in the questions. So I basically just recited what I'd revised beforehand, and managed to write 5 pages for the first question.

For the second question I didn't have much time as I'd spent around 55 minutes writing my answer to the first question, so I just quickly wrote two pages of writing which basically just picked out the different techniques used and their possible meanings. Personally, I thought the unseen poem was pretty nice, as it wasn't too difficult to interpret and there were a lot of techniques to examine such as use of metaphors, onomatopoeia, youthful imagery and etc.
Nailed that exam.
Original post by brad_
How? We had 75 minutes! Quality over quantity...

I practiced comparison questions between Sonnet 43 + 116 and made many many notes on those 2 poems before the exam. Luckily the Sonnet 116 came up so I wrote around 8 pages in total for both sections. And my handwriting is fairly big.
So the amount of pages I wrote in total would be around 6.5?
(edited 10 years ago)
That exam was absolutely beautiful. I was initially devastated that neither Harmonium or Ghazal was named, but soon realised that Sonnet 116 and To His Coy Mistress was an even better combination (dat sensuality :colone:)Absolutely thrilled as I managed to finish on time! Not to mention that the unseen was equally as smashing! :biggrin:

Also this exam succeeded a very good (well, at least I hope so!) Physics Unit 3 performance. So happy! A lovely end to the May exams.

and a horrible beginning to the dreadful June ones :colonhash:

How did everyone else find it? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The exam actually went quite well
I compared Sonnet 116 (sonnet form, love is pure stronger than time) and Hour (superficial sonnet form, love is not 'pure' and time is stronger than love)
Plus the unseem poem was quite easy to understand aswell (wrote 2 pages for it)
was i the only one that compared the river god to les grands seigneurs?
Original post by randomm1
was i the only one that compared the river god to les grands seigneurs?

One of my friends did that :smile:
Part one we did Conflict poetry. I chose the question on The Yellow Palm, as the description of destruction is so ambiguous. I compared it with ‘Come On, Come Back’, which is one of my favourite poems from the cluster. Unfortunately I hadn’t revised Yellow Palm as much as the others and instead I came up with some original ideas in the exam. My main points included:
THE YELLOW PALM

Desecration of the ‘golden mosque’ with blood juxtaposing ideas show the anger peope hd towards religion for not saving them during conflict and the effects on conflict on religious beliefs the power of religion is fading as people realise how God cannot save them from conflict

‘Blind beggars’ who exist as ghosts of past wars and who salute alike the ‘Imperial Guard’, to show how war and the destruction it causes are continuous.

The destruction of innocence of the child who ‘blessed’ the ‘Cruise missile’, which suggests their acceptance of a life of conflict and violence from a young age.

Loose ballad structure creates a disconcerting tone, shows the reader that something is unnatural about the destructive nature of war.

‘COME ON, COME BACK’

Juxtaposing imagery of the ‘rutted meadow’, show both the physical and emotional destruction caused by war, as it could be metaphorical for how war ends the hope and growth of life in man.

Eternal nature of war, shown in past, present and future by the references to ‘Austerlitz’, the use of present tense and the setting ‘in a future war’, showing how the destruction caused is continuous through time.

Innocence of Vaudevue is shown by the use of the refrain shows, as it suggest she’s childlike, but she ‘hears not the familiar tune’ once she’s drowned as her innocent nature has been destroyed.

Did anyone else compare these two poems? I think most people compared The Yellow Palm with either Belfast Confetti or Out Of The Blue. No one I know chose the Hawk Roosting question.
Part two
I’m not as confident on this. I had a fair few paragraphs, but most were describing the presentation of similar ideas in different ways. Did anyone else mention how the description of the ‘two wheels’ of the bike was alike the mother and daughter’s reliance on each other for support?
Reply 2596
I did the relationship cluster, and I chose to answer Born Yesterday since I revised that one a lot, however stupidly I forgot to compare it with another poem until the last paragraph would I loose a lot of marks even though I answered in detail and gave more than one interpretation all the way through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I quite liked the exam! THE RIVER GOD CAME UP :happy2: and I compared it to Ozymandias since it was about control, another favourite :love: The Unseen poem was quite good too....but I'm a bit disappointed with the timing and how much more I could have wrote....Overall I'm cool about it :cool:
Couple of questions

1) if you did born yesterday and wrote "parents really **** you up" will you get marked down for it? ( I see there is a filter, I did put the real thing down"

2) I forgot to mention and devices at all, I stead I examined each meanings etc for both unseen and anthology poems, how badly can you be marked down if you don't mental any?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Part one we did Conflict poetry. I chose the question on The Yellow Palm, as the description of destruction is so ambiguous. I compared it with ‘Come On, Come Back’, which is one of my favourite poems from the cluster. Unfortunately I hadn’t revised Yellow Palm as much as the others and instead I came up with some original ideas in the exam.

I compared The Yellow Palm to Out of the Blue, however your choice of poems works perfectly with the context of the question too. I also used some very similar points to you for The Yellow Palm, such as the loss of innocence of the child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending