Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Thanks, Laurie! What have you applied for?
    I've applied for secondary English, so competitive but I'm reasonably confident, though the wait for my academic reference is distressing me a bit!

What are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just passed my numeracy skills test!!
    already passed the literacy one so that's them done!!
    Application was sent last Thursday so fingers crossed for interviews now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooksy1704)
    Just passed my numeracy skills test!!
    already passed the literacy one so that's them done!!
    Application was sent last Thursday so fingers crossed for interviews now!
    How was It? In line with the practice ones and other resources? Harder? Easier?

congrats !

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview coming in up a couple of weeks. So nervous about the presentation part of things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering changing my second reference. My first reference was my university tutor and done very quickly on the day I submitted my application (fri 22nd Nov) but my second ref (the head where I volunteer) hasn't even indicated that he will complete it yet. I have been volunteering there a couple of months but he would need to get the teacher to write the reference and the teacher is currently off sick! My previous employer would write me a reference pretty quickly I am sure, I worked there for a year and trained with them for the 4 years prior to that so they know me really well. I am itching to change my second reference to them but don't want to scupper my chances with them not being a school (they are a hospital). I just can't bare to wait any longer to pay and send!

ReputationRep:
    Just passed my Literacy skills test (thank goodness, one down one to go!!) is there somewhere that we have to state that we've passed it? I can only find somewhere to put down the dates. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_disney)
    How was It? In line with the practice ones and other resources? Harder? Easier?

congrats !
    Maybe a tiny bit harder but not much. Similar to practise tests but a couple of questions I'd never seen before about area etc.
    also some conversion questions with a slightly different layout
    Do you have numeracy first? That really helped me

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a tiny bit harder but not much. Similar to practise tests but a couple of questions I'd never seen before about area etc.
    also some conversion questions with a slightly different layout
    Do you have numeracy first? That really helped me
    If you don't mind me asking, what is numeracy first? Is it a book or website, I have been using study guides for maths, and practising the skills tests on line a lot to improve my mental maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo_Marie)
    If you don't mind me asking, what is numeracy first? Is it a book or website, I have been using study guides for maths, and practising the skills tests on line a lot to improve my mental maths!
    Google numeracy first! They provide 20 extra tests for £19.99 I definitely recommend it!!

ReputationRep:
    Google numeracy first! They provide 20 extra tests for £19.99 I definitely recommend it!!
    Oh I have looked at that, it does look very good, and handy that you can use it on mobile devices.
    Good that you recommend it, I might try it out.

How did you find the numeracy, were there many questions that had not come up on the practice ones? And if you don't mind me asking, how many did you need to have right in order to pass - I keep trying to find this out online, but so far no such luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I have looked at that, it does look very good, and handy that you can use it on mobile devices.
    Good that you recommend it, I might try it out.

How did you find the numeracy, were there many questions that had not come up on the practice ones? And if you don't mind me asking, how many did you need to have right in order to pass - I keep trying to find this out online, but so far no such luck!
    It's 63% you need to get right in order to pass. You can do the math and see how many questions that will be if you need, I'm sure. P:

For people who can't justify the £20 for Numeracy First (I personally can't, and the lure of 'tests' is a bit empty as you can always find more for free online, or I can get my friends to draft me some questions for a pint etc ) I bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Patmore. It's pretty good - some of the explanations aren't written in the best way and particularly with division, the formatting actually confuses the issue, but overall it has been helpful enough with a bit of common sense, and was just about £8, arrived the next day. ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    It's 63% you need to get right in order to pass. You can do the math and see how many questions that will be if you need, I'm sure. P:

For people who can't justify the £20 for Numeracy First (I personally can't, and the lure of 'tests' is a bit empty as you can always find more for free online, or I can get my friends to draft me some questions for a pint etc ) I bought 'Passing the Numeracy Skills Test' by Patmore. It's pretty good - some of the explanations aren't written in the best way and particularly with division, the formatting actually confuses the issue, but overall it has been helpful enough with a bit of common sense, and was just about £8, arrived the next day. ^^
    lol this is actually the reason why I have not paid for it, as I just keep practising on the free ones online. I have plenty of maths study guides, and figured I am better of learning the rules and ways of doing thing, that way however the questions come up, I am prepared.

Thanks for letting me know the pass rate. I just need to check, do we need to bring along our own calculators and is it 63% overall in the maths or a specific percentage on each section - if you know what I mean!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumpadaisy)
    I'm considering changing my second reference. My first reference was my university tutor and done very quickly on the day I submitted my application (fri 22nd Nov) but my second ref (the head where I volunteer) hasn't even indicated that he will complete it yet. I have been volunteering there a couple of months but he would need to get the teacher to write the reference and the teacher is currently off sick! My previous employer would write me a reference pretty quickly I am sure, I worked there for a year and trained with them for the 4 years prior to that so they know me really well. I am itching to change my second reference to them but don't want to scupper my chances with them not being a school (they are a hospital). I just can't bare to wait any longer to pay and send!
    Hi! I think it's very important to get your application sent as courses are able to close tomorrow. I didn't use a school as my second reference and still got an interview. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    My manager has had a super busy time lately but has said my reference will definitely be done today. Here's hoping! I am getting so nervous now!!

Has anyone heard back from Notts Trent, Derby or Leicester yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)

I was the same, I didn't have £20 for Numeracy First so I bought 'Pass the QTS Numeracy Skills Test with Ease' on my Kindle and it seems to be doing the job just fine. It was £8 too and I got it straight away because of my Kindle.

lol this is actually the reason why I have not paid for it, as I just keep practising on the free ones online. I have plenty of maths study guides, and figured I am better of learning the rules and ways of doing thing, that way however the questions come up, I am prepared.

Thanks for letting me know the pass rate. I just need to check, do we need to bring along our own calculators and is it 63% overall in the maths or a specific percentage on each section - if you know what I mean!!!
    I don't think we're allowed calculators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by principessakl)
    Hi! I think it's very important to get your application sent as courses are able to close tomorrow. I didn't use a school as my second reference and still got an interview. Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply! I'm going to change my reference add the school direct place I am applying for only has a limited number of places.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, exactly.
    They're taken online, it's just as it is for the official practice tests, so the calculator is in the programme used for the test. You don't have to bring one. And it's 63% for the whole maths test, and then 63% for whole literacy test. (:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there are currently any interviews going on for MFL at IoE, King's or Roehampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    Yeah, exactly.
    They're taken online, it's just as it is for the official practice tests, so the calculator is in the programme used for the test. You don't have to bring one. And it's 63% for the whole maths test, and then 63% for whole literacy test. (:
    Thank you for your help! I take it you have already taken and passed both of yours?

I was invited to an interview at St Marys next Wednesday you see, and before that I was so stressed trying to sort out my referees, that I have honestly not even contemplated booking the tests let alone take them before the new year. I don't want to rush you see, as every open day I have been to, they have all said, you can still be offered a place but conditional upon passing the tests before the start of the course.....please tell me this has not changed!! Everyone on here seems to be passing, or at least booking their tests already!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help! I take it you have already taken and passed both of yours?

I was invited to an interview at St Marys next Wednesday you see, and before that I was so stressed trying to sort out my referees, that I have honestly not even contemplated booking the tests let alone take them before the new year. I don't want to rush you see, as every open day I have been to, they have all said, you can still be offered a place but conditional upon passing the tests before the start of the course.....please tell me this has not changed!! Everyone on here seems to be passing, or at least booking their tests already!!
    No haha, I've got mine on the 10th! Just really fretting about the numeracy ones and tend to need to know everything about something like this just in case... otherwise I'd feel far too unprepared.
    Congrats on the interview! Yeah I understand - I only really booked mine a little early because I'm already lacking on the application due to lack of experience and need any extra help having them completed might give me. Would have much rather left them till after Christmas, though I guess it'll be nice having them out of the way so I can relax over the holidays some more. (:
    But I wouldn't worry - you can actually do your course without having passed them, you simply won't have QTS until they are completed. I believe that's how it works. It just is definitely a bonus if you can tick that box before the interviews etc. Remember that TSR doesn't represent the UK! So many other applicants out there who will be in the same position as you, or worse, who just aren't on the boards to prove it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.