The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rm436
Sounds promising for you then! Good luck!

In fact, group exercise wasn't good... How was yours? The FSAC...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
I had mine on Wednesday 18/03/2015. My scheme progress for the FSAC is changed to "Awaiting Results". We should hear in the next week.

Were you told this specifically at FSAC? If not, then this isn't quite right. You only hear in one week if you are immediately successful or unsuccessful, everyone else has to wait significantly longer.

Original post by rm436
Yes, I am SO thankful that I applied late and therefore had my FSAC later. I am very bad at waiting for results, so having a late FSAC was definitely good for me. I was very pleased with how my FSAC went but to be honest, I don't think I was good enough to get through. I think that I did well for me, but did I do well enough to get into the final 750(ish) out of the 3000(ish) that were at FSAC? I don't think so. I am looking forward to the feedback though. I have just applied for the generalist scheme, and selected HP as my first choice, but to be honest I just really want CD. I'm hoping I will hear this week whether I've got it or not. How did your FSAC go, are you through?

It's really hard to judge performance at FSAC - people rarely come out with an accurate idea of how they actually did. You just have to wait and see, though that is no fun whatsoever :p: I got through a few weeks ago, for the HR stream. And now... I'm back to waiting :p: Filled in a million forms and completed all the pre-appointment checks, now have a few months to wait until I find out which city/department I'll be in...

Original post by thursdayJ
Heya everyone, I feel like I'm one of the only people still waiting for my FSAC!! (monday 30th) I jusy wanted to clarify a few things about the day....
- in between activities are we allowed to access any notes we may bring with us in our bags?
- are we allowed to bring any notes into the interview with us?
- other than prepare answers for the competency interview, thoroughly read the guide and practice speed reading, is there anything else anyone would recommend me doing as preparations?

Thank you! I appreciate any answers :-)

You sound pretty well prepared, don't worry!

On the day you leave your belongings in lockers. Between exercises you have breaks, and you can access the lockers, so it's technically possible to check notes then, but at my FSAC no one did this. To be honest, it really isn't needed - the only thing that requires specific preparation is the interview, and even that isn't going to require intense revision on the day. You definitely aren't allowed to bring notes into the interview I'm afraid, or into any of the exercises. Several of the exercises begin with the opportunity to read through material and make notes, but you are always told when you can take your notes into the next exercise and when you have to leave them behind. You aren't allowed to take away from FSAC any notes that you make on the day.

Your preparations sound fine. Make sure that for the interview you have several answers for each competency. The questions will be specific, so having several at your fingertips will give you the best chance of giving a good answer that you can tailor to the question you've been asked. And you should know the competencies that you are being tested for at each stage of the process, so that you can concentrate on performing best in those areas. If you're struggling to interpret what the competencies mean, have a look at the CS Competency Framework. You should be aiming for examples of level 3, or at a pinch level 2. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/307630/Civil-Service-Competency-Framework-Jan2013.pdf
Reply 2582
In fact, group exercise wasn't good... How was yours? The FSAC...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it went really well, but I'm not sure if it went well enough. I was happy with my performance but the standard is VERY high and I'm not sure if I reached it. My group exercise was probably the best, and the policy went well too, and then the interview and leadership were pretty okay. Interview was pretty standard, it didn't go badly, but it was my last exercise and I was so so tired!

Out of interest, what didn't go well with the group exercise? I was very worried about mine, but I got a good group and it ended up going well.
Reply 2583
Original post by grownupfrog

It's really hard to judge performance at FSAC - people rarely come out with an accurate idea of how they actually did. You just have to wait and see, though that is no fun whatsoever :p: I got through a few weeks ago, for the HR stream. And now... I'm back to waiting :p: Filled in a million forms and completed all the pre-appointment checks, now have a few months to wait until I find out which city/department I'll be in...

Yeah I agree, I'm finding it very hard to judge how I did. I guess I just find it hard to believe that I will be lucky enough to get on my dream grad scheme! We will have to wait and see I guess.

Yep, I did the SDIP and so I know how much waiting is involved with the Civil Service unfortunately! I just want to know if I have it - after that at least I know I can get on with my dissertation/essays/revision without having to also spend time searching and applying for jobs.

Congratulations on being successful by the way! It's an amazing achievement and I'm sure you'll love the Fast Stream. How long did they take to get back to you?
Reply 2584
Original post by thursdayJ
Heya everyone, I feel like I'm one of the only people still waiting for my FSAC!! (monday 30th) I jusy wanted to clarify a few things about the day....
- in between activities are we allowed to access any notes we may bring with us in our bags?
- are we allowed to bring any notes into the interview with us?
- other than prepare answers for the competency interview, thoroughly read the guide and practice speed reading, is there anything else anyone would recommend me doing as preparations?

Thank you! I appreciate any answers :-)

Grownupfrog has given you a great reply but I just wanted to add that it is a SUPER intense and long day. Get a good nights sleep the night before, drink lots of water, eat a good breakfast etc. It is very mentally and physically tough! Saying that, it's never dull and is fairly enjoyable so don't dread it :smile:
Original post by rm436
Yeah it went really well, but I'm not sure if it went well enough. I was happy with my performance but the standard is VERY high and I'm not sure if I reached it. My group exercise was probably the best, and the policy went well too, and then the interview and leadership were pretty okay. Interview was pretty standard, it didn't go badly, but it was my last exercise and I was so so tired!

Out of interest, what didn't go well with the group exercise? I was very worried about mine, but I got a good group and it ended up going well.

In the middle of the discussion for 5 minutes, I feel I was not contributing towards the group discussion. That's the only point worrying me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2586
In the middle of the discussion for 5 minutes, I feel I was not contributing towards the group discussion. That's the only point worrying me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that's ALL you're worried about I'd say you're lucky! I can pick out quite a few things I'm not happy about. Nobody's perfect and you can make up your scores on the competencies in other exercises :smile:
Original post by rm436
If that's ALL you're worried about I'd say you're lucky! I can pick out quite a few things I'm not happy about. Nobody's perfect and you can make up your scores on the competencies in other exercises :smile:

Thanks very much. Wish you best of luck with your selection results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rm436
Yeah I agree, I'm finding it very hard to judge how I did. I guess I just find it hard to believe that I will be lucky enough to get on my dream grad scheme! We will have to wait and see I guess.

Yep, I did the SDIP and so I know how much waiting is involved with the Civil Service unfortunately! I just want to know if I have it - after that at least I know I can get on with my dissertation/essays/revision without having to also spend time searching and applying for jobs.

Congratulations on being successful by the way! It's an amazing achievement and I'm sure you'll love the Fast Stream. How long did they take to get back to you?

Fingers crossed! It is really competitive - only about 3% of candidates are offered a post - but that's from those who take the original online tests. Your chances are pretty good if you got all the way to FSAC!

You should have your final answer before the next term starts at least...

Thanks! I'm really excited, though it feels like a long way away. I'm a career switcher rather than a new graduate, so I've still got a lot to do for my current job before I make the change, but I'm really impatient to get started...
Reply 2589
Thanks very much. Wish you best of luck with your selection results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I got some results today. I have been unsuccessful for HP but amber banded for CD. Quite happy with this, I didn't really want HP anyway and I am just very grateful I am not immediately unsuccessful for CD. Have you heard anything?
Original post by rm436
Hey :smile: I got some results today. I have been unsuccessful for HP but amber banded for CD. Quite happy with this, I didn't really want HP anyway and I am just very grateful I am not immediately unsuccessful for CD. Have you heard anything?

If you got your results, then I must consider I am amber banded. Still "Awaiting Results".
Reply 2591
If you got your results, then I must consider I am amber banded. Still "Awaiting Results".

Did you apply for HP?
Reply 2592
I just want to say to everyone awaiting results who has applied to the Houses of Parliament/Diplomatic schemes as well as the CD scheme - if you get rejected from the HP/Diplomatic scheme but are amber banded for the CD scheme, the message on your scheme page will basically tell you that you've failed and you will get the impression you've been unsuccessful for all. Go and look in your messages - this will explain whether you have just failed your first choice scheme or if youve failed both. Hope that makes sense.
Reply 2593
Original post by rm436

Welcome to the club, currently populated by me and TritonSails. I'm just hoping it means we're very borderline. From previous threads, as has been said previously - we're about 50/50 at this stage!
Original post by rm436
Did you apply for HP?

Hop, yes!
Reply 2595
Original post by Lauws
Welcome to the club, currently populated by me and TritonSails. I'm just hoping it means we're very borderline. From previous threads, as has been said previously - we're about 50/50 at this stage!

Eugh this is horrible! I can't focus on anything else! I hope the wait isn't too long. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lauws

I also failed for HP but am in the Amber Band for CD. 50/50 you say? Where did you hear that? Fancy those odds.

Have all of the sifts except for the final one now passed by? #stillintherunning
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2597
Original post by Jambo04
I also failed for HP but am in the Amber Band for CD. 50/50 you say? Where did you hear that? Fancy those odds.

Have all of the sifts except for the final one now passed by? #stillintherunning

I think Simpere said it, but its bore out in previous threads. If you're as sad as me - head back to last years thread and have a look for yourself.Basically lots of people discussing it like us and at the final cut around half (very rough estimate) got in and half didn't -I believe that;s where the 50.50 thing comes from.
Hi guys I just found out I passed the FSAC today and I'm through to the FSB for comms! Anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by Jambo04

I think there's one this week and one 'mid-april'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending