The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

really wanna apply to st. George but my UKCAT is 625... Not sure if I stand a chance.. I've already achieved my A levels though and didn't do too badly
Reply 2581
Original post by Ahmed766
really wanna apply to st. George but my UKCAT is 625... Not sure if I stand a chance.. I've already achieved my A levels though and didn't do too badly

What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*AA achieved in economics, biology and chemistry respectively and two B's at As in maths and arabic. GCSE's meet their requirements if they consider my extenuating circumstances
Reply 2583
A*AA achieved in economics, biology and chemistry respectively and two B's at As in maths and arabic. GCSE's meet their requirements if they consider my extenuating circumstances

Your grades are great, so definitely think they are good for SG. It really depends on what their cutoff is this year!
What was their cutoff for entry 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
Your grades are great, so definitely think they are good for SG. It really depends on what their cutoff is this year!
What was their cutoff for entry 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2530 not sure if I stand a chance
Hey, I heard someone say that they're worried about the interview at St. George's. Does anyone know why that is? Don't all the unis rely on the interview to give out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they say on the website that you need a minimum score of 500 in each subsection and they decide the overall cut off on basis of the applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2587

What other unis have you thought of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
What other unis have you thought of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds, BSMS, Imperial, Exeter and UEA
Reply 2589
Original post by Tanishqa
Hey, I heard someone say that they're worried about the interview at St. George's. Does anyone know why that is? Don't all the unis rely on the interview to give out offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they say why they were worried? They could be worried for a lot of reasons!
Yes most unis do base their offers on an individuals interview performance alone once they reach the interview stage! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
Did they say why they were worried? They could be worried for a lot of reasons!
Yes most unis do base their offers on an individuals interview performance alone once they reach the interview stage! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, I get it now. Thank you.
Would you say a score of 690 would be competitive for an international student here?
Also, which other unis would you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2591
Leeds, BSMS, Imperial, Exeter and UEA

I would just say, apply strategically! Think about what your strengths are in your application and apply using them. If you think there are other unis that are more likely to choose you with your grades and ukcat then apply there! Yes, you may think that your ukcat is a bit low but your grades are great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi if this is a medicine forum I guess people are studying a level chem. Plleeeeasse can some one help I'm really stuck on this question?!

It says the following equation is not balanced:
MgI2(s) + Fe3+(aq) --> Mg2+(aq) + I2(s) + Fe2+(aq)

How is this unbalanced and what is the balanced equation?

Thanks in advance!!xx
Reply 2593
Right, I get it now. Thank you.
Would you say a score of 690 would be competitive for an international student here?
Also, which other unis would you suggest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem x
Honestly, i dont know enough about the process for international students so i wouldnt say my advice is anything to go by! However, based on a uk student, that ukcat is good!
What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
No problem x
Honestly, i dont know enough about the process for international students so i wouldnt say my advice is anything to go by! However, based on a uk student, that ukcat is good!
What are your stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking Kings, Newcastle, St. George's and Birmingham.
Hey, thank you for your reply.
I do have very good grades ( 10th standard marks that are the GCSE equivalent) that they say compensate for a lower UKCAT score on their website. They (Birmingham and Kings) want 85+ marks in maths and science and I had scored 97 in maths and 93 in Science. I have 81 hours of work experience. I've also volunteered at a couple of places and I'm also going to start working with an NGO for children very soon.
My only worry is that the competition for international students is all the more tight. So I want to make sure that I do stand a good chance at the unis I apply to.
You think this is good enough?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2595
I was thinking Kings, Newcastle, St. George's and Birmingham.
Hey, thank you for your reply.
I do have very good grades ( 10th standard marks that are the GCSE equivalent) that they say compensate for a lower UKCAT score on their website. They (Birmingham and Kings) want 85+ marks in maths and science and I had scored 97 in maths and 93 in Science. I have 81 hours of work experience. I've also volunteered at a couple of places and I'm also going to start working with an NGO for children very soon.
My only worry is that the competition for international students is all the more tight. So I want to make sure that I do stand a good chance at the unis I apply to.
You think this is good enough?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your alevels grades? Because kings are very picky with that and the ukcat x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
What are your alevels grades? Because kings are very picky with that and the ukcat x

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't have A level per say. We have 12th grade finals but those will take place in March next year. So my offer will be based on the 10th grade marks and the UKCAT.
Is my UKCAT good enough for Kings and Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's because St Georges interview a lot of people and they're known to be quite difficult (they use MMIs)
Reply 2598
We don't have A level per say. We have 12th grade finals but those will take place in March next year. So my offer will be based on the 10th grade marks and the UKCAT.
Is my UKCAT good enough for Kings and Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too sure about Newcastle, ive never really searched that med school up! But with Kings, they do always want a high ukcat and ive always thought high 600 or above is good enough but some people think you have to have a ukcat in the 700s. But they use grades aswell, so if your ukact is higher your grades are considered less and if your grades are great the ukcat is considered less x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rp165
Not too sure about Newcastle, ive never really searched that med school up! But with Kings, they do always want a high ukcat and ive always thought high 600 or above is good enough but some people think you have to have a ukcat in the 700s. But they use grades aswell, so if your ukact is higher your grades are considered less and if your grades are great the ukcat is considered less x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan on applying to this university with the following stats
My UKCAT score average is VR - 600, QR - 750, AR - 620, DA - 670, SJT - Band 1, which gives an average of 660.
I got 6A*s and 2As in my IGCSE A*s in 3 Sciences, Maths, ICT, Accounting As in Economics and English
I have 90% UMS in 3 of my AS levels - Biology, Maths and Physics 87% UMS in Chemistry So my predicted is all 3A*s 1A.
Do you think its a good idea to apply? Which other universities would you suggest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending