Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not nailing this... I feel like I should be perfect or at least making progress but I don't think my mentor/host teacher thinks I am at all! Had a good lesson last wednesday and completely overran on my lesson today, making the same mistakes as last monday (which was awful!). Can just see all the optimism she had for me draining away now... I hope it doesn't go back to being accused of not being proactive and positive enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm back to struggling. Had a good run, but I've lost it. Got so much going round in my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a bit of a wobble today at Uni - we had a lecture about our first review point which is in 2 weeks and it just looks scary! My mentor doesn't exactly know our Uni's systems too well so this looks like it's going to be a bit of a nightmare to complete with her. I haven't finished sorting my evidence file yet, I have a lesson with a year 10 class for the first time on Thursday but can't plan it until tomorrow night as the teacher wants to see where they're up to first. I just couldn't focus at Uni so skipped the afternoon lectures and did some Christmas shopping instead! First time I've missed anything since starting. Felt like I needed a bit of time out.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips for quietening a class down? (secondary)

Been told by my uni mentor to avoid 'shh'-ing, which is something I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My year 8s can be noisy and at first I was shouting over them which is the worst thing to do - they continue regardless and know you've lost control.

Going shh Is probably not the way to go either, it may work for year 7 or a slightly less noisy bunch but ultimately you're not going to command them to be quiet by doing that.

What I've found that really works is if it's just a few making noise and not the whole class, ask for everyone to face you (everyone look this way) if a few still aren't doing it say 'I'm still waiting for a few people' and pretty soon they'll realise it's them and then face you like everyone else.

I never talk over them now, I just fold my arms and look at them. This usually works quite well too and because I have this class right before lunch the threat of them missing some of it really works also.

There's probably a lot more ways you can try though like alarms on the whiteboard and little gimmicks but for me the ones I've suggested usually do the job.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I usually make my way to the front of the class...
    "Okkkkk (class name) can I have your attention now please
    Pens down
    Bums on seats now please"
    Then if there are pupils who are responding I will say "Thankyou Bob, Thankyou Sheila" etc (not real names of course!)

If I'm still waiting I'll go to 3, 2, 1 and stand there looking firm with my arms crossed.

There's only been a few times where I've had to go further than that. I'll watch who is still talking and then follow the school behaviour system (reminder, step 1 etc) but never have to go further than step 1.

Last week I had a major pop at one of my groups who we're paying attention during a physics demo and I had to shout at them. Hate shouting, but it did seem to work. I think used sparingly it has better affect than shouting throughout. Also, your voice is precious as a teacher.

Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I'm still not nailing this... I feel like I should be perfect or at least making progress but I don't think my mentor/host teacher thinks I am at all! Had a good lesson last wednesday and completely overran on my lesson today, making the same mistakes as last monday (which was awful!). Can just see all the optimism she had for me draining away now... I hope it doesn't go back to being accused of not being proactive and positive enough.
    It sounds like you are expecting too much of yourself! No-one in teaching is perfect... there's always one more thing you can get better at. So you have to just aim for an individual, realistic target, one or two at a time.

As long as you know what you need to improve on you're most of the way there already. Speak to tutors or read books for advice if you aren't sure how to achieve it. If you know then just keep going and it will get better! Trust me! It does feel awful when you make the same mistakes and when you have a bad lesson, can feel a bit back to step one, but it isn't. Think of how far you've come already. And you aren't going to instantly be able to change what you're doing, sometimes you slip back by accident. I found it helpful to write one or two KEY things which I wanted to focus on improving on post its and just glance at them throughout the day, to remind myself to do them in a lesson. Then within a few weeks there'll be a point where you go "Oh wait!!! I do that now!!!" and you've achieved it

(Original post by Steveluis10)
    Had a bit of a wobble today at Uni - we had a lecture about our first review point which is in 2 weeks and it just looks scary! My mentor doesn't exactly know our Uni's systems too well so this looks like it's going to be a bit of a nightmare to complete with her. I haven't finished sorting my evidence file yet, I have a lesson with a year 10 class for the first time on Thursday but can't plan it until tomorrow night as the teacher wants to see where they're up to first. I just couldn't focus at Uni so skipped the afternoon lectures and did some Christmas shopping instead! First time I've missed anything since starting. Felt like I needed a bit of time out.
    Those lectures are awful. We had one before the start of each placement where they went through all the requirements. Sitting there in October having never taught before in my life and hearing about how many hours teaching we have to do was terrifying. Unfortunately these lectures are still terrifying as they really show off the pace of the course. But fortunately it's not just you, everyone will be feeling the same! And you can do it, definitely, or they wouldn't ask you to!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It sounds like you are expecting too much of yourself! No-one in teaching is perfect... there's always one more thing you can get better at. So you have to just aim for an individual, realistic target, one or two at a time.

As long as you know what you need to improve on you're most of the way there already. Speak to tutors or read books for advice if you aren't sure how to achieve it. If you know then just keep going and it will get better! Trust me! It does feel awful when you make the same mistakes and when you have a bad lesson, can feel a bit back to step one, but it isn't. Think of how far you've come already. And you aren't going to instantly be able to change what you're doing, sometimes you slip back by accident. I found it helpful to write one or two KEY things which I wanted to focus on improving on post its and just glance at them throughout the day, to remind myself to do them in a lesson. Then within a few weeks there'll be a point where you go "Oh wait!!! I do that now!!!" and you've achieved it
    This made me feel a lot better It just feels I need to be improving more for my mentor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    This made me feel a lot better It just feels I need to be improving more for my mentor.
    Perhaps your mentor has just partly forgotten what it's like to be starting out. Like I say they won't be perfect but there will be some things which they feel confident in and they may find that frustrating... but just remind yourself as well that there are some things which you will be picking up much more quickly than they did when training, as everyone is different.

It may be as well that you are just worried and reading more in to their reaction, if they are just being blunt because they are busy or that's the kind of person they are, not meaning any disapproval by it.

And make sure you are clear to them that you know your targets and are working on them, it's not admitting 'weakness' it's showing that you are reflective

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to say thanks to kpwxx, my lesson yesterday went SO much better and I think everyone in the class had some fun and learnt something new I knew this course would be a stress... but not this much of a stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MitMilch)
    I just wanted to say thanks to kpwxx, my lesson yesterday went SO much better and I think everyone in the class had some fun and learnt something new I knew this course would be a stress... but not this much of a stress.
    Thanks and no problem!

I just like to share stuff. Plus coming on TSR provides good (frequent) breaks from work, and makes me feel a bit like I'm still a student so not so depressed about being grown up lol.

I'm glad the lesson went better! Remember your good planning and delivery were why you were able to achieve that!

Not that long till xmas now, and a well earned break for teachers.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for Christmas!

I had my uni observation today. For the class that I was teaching (y8 set 4), the work they produced and their participation in the plenary was brilliant. Really beyond their usual standards. I did feel that my uni tutor focused a lot on things I have to improve, and I felt he didn't pick up much on the positives. Having read his written feedback tonight, he did pick up on the positives and I think perhaps I was just taking things to heart because I was having a stressful day.

Today's probably been the worst teaching day I've had so far - was up at 5.45 to get into school for 7.45 to prepare for my observation lesson, loads of things went wrong i.e the printer broke.. Team taught a lesson period 1, taught my y9's period 2 which went terribly because I hadn't planned it properly. My obs lesson p3 went okay but then feedback ran to halfway through p5, by that point I had half an hour to plan the last lesson of the day..

I managed to do it and get through, but by 3.15 I was just mentally exhausted. Didn't have any breaks just because I had tons of things to do, and had no appetite so barely ate anything all day. No wonder I was an emotional wreck when my school tutor just asked me if I was okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    I can empathise with needing time out! I think it's important to look after yourself. Try not to worry too much. You've got 2 weeks to prepare, improve and I'm sure you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on how to speed up lesson planning? ? I'm worried I'll never be able to physically fit in a full timetable! Thanks :-) keep going everyone still up working! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clouless)
    Any tips on how to speed up lesson planning? ? I'm worried I'll never be able to physically fit in a full timetable! Thanks :-) keep going everyone still up working! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make the most of any schemes of work available to you. We use exploring science and it is brilliant for planning quickly. It has so much in it that you can pick and choose when you need to, but at the same time you can adapt to suit til your heart's content.

You probably are already but use tes as much as possible. There are some great resources on there which can be quickly adapted for your needs.

It may not help you right now but have faith that you will get quicker at planning. The more familiar you become with the schemes of work the easier it will be. Always keep any lesson plans for he next time round, you will be able to adjust them for different groups rather than start from scratch. Once you are an nqt you will not need to plan in as much detail all of the time and you can just put reminders down about what you want to do rather than a blow by blow account.

Edit: just noticed the time of your post. Get some sleep!! Set yourself a time limit for planning and don't work beyond it, otherwise your planning time will expand to fill as much time as you allow! As a trainee I rarely worked later than 7pm, you need time to eat, sleep and relax properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am not a teacher but have had a couple of family members who taught (now retired or deceased). They pointed out it was not an easy job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clouless)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Recycle stuff you've planned and made before. No point reinventing everything from scratch!

ReputationRep:
    Had a breakthrough with my y7's today and honestly it's just lifted my spirits soooo much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a breakthrough with my y7's today and honestly it's just lifted my spirits soooo much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations what's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Feeling so tired right now. Can't wait for Christmas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.