Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flauta)

Solution 425

Consider a trapezium with base 1, and two parallel sides of lengths 14 and 21. Its area is given by A= \frac{1}{2}(14+21) = 17.5
    How did you solve it so quickly??! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    My little secret.

ReputationRep:

I would've used the Hardy-Littlewood inequality to solve it. I'm surprised at his geometric approach though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    I would've used the Hardy-Littlewood inequality to solve it. I'm surprised at his geometric approach though.
    Why surprised?

There can be more than one proof, why don't you post yours?

ReputationRep:
    Problem 425*/**/***

Evaluate \displaystyle\int_2^3 7x\,dx
    Let B be a topological algebra with continuous trace  \phi , then, it's clear that:

\phi(\omega_f^p) = p \displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{nCp} \sum_{\pi \in s(p,j)} sgn(\pi) \phi (W_{ij} W_{\pi}) dz^j .

(Consider wedge products and that r is a cyclic action over the symmetry group mapped out by  \pi .)

Substitute p=7, and evaluate. Voila.

ReputationRep:
    Problem426***

Evaluate \displaystyle\int^3_0 145020202781202010213347791x^2\ dx

and deduce what was going through my mind when I thought of this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW24595)
    Let B be a topological algebra with continuous trace  \phi , then, it's clear that:

\phi(\omega_f^p) = p \displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{nCp} \sum_{\pi \in s(p,j)} sgn(\pi) \phi (W_{ij} W_{\pi}) dz^j .

(Consider wedge products and that r is a cyclic action over the symmetry group mapped out by  \pi .)

Did you just string together a load of random mathy things, or is that actually a genuine formula?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Did you just string together a load of random mathy things, or is that actually a genuine formula?
    I was just typing out a proof. Give me a moment, my dear friend!

ReputationRep:
    Problem426***

Evaluate \displaystyle\int^3_0 145020202781202010213347791x^2\ dx

and deduce what was going through my mind when I thought of this question.
    Damn, that question's too hard for me but I'm guessing it's the number of presents you're hoping for Christmas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    I'm currently in year 13, and I think it may be University level, I'm not sure. I heard from someone that it comes up in FP3 (A-level), but I haven't studied FP3 yet. I'm just extremely interested in Pure Mathematics and have a knack for problem-solving.
    Almost finished FP3- it definitely does not come up.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, that question's too hard for me but I'm guessing it's the number of presents you're hoping for Christmas?
    Nope.

The number of presents I am hoping for it actually A(112,63).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahomyemane778)
    Are you on the mickey mouse exam board or something?

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

The number of presents I am hoping for it actually A(112,63).
    Last year I got 37 so I'm hoping for 38 this time around

ReputationRep:
    Problem 425*/**/***

Evaluate \displaystyle\int_2^3 7x\,dx
    The solutions posted so far are good, but I will use a different approach.

Firstly, it's obvious by the finiteness of \displaystyle\lim_{n \to \infty}\inf(p_{n+m}-p_n ) (Zhang, 2013) that the integral is well defined.

It is left to calculate its value. Consider an algebra A over an 4k-dimensional Hyperkahler manifold as k \to \infty. Then it is possible to construct a Banach space X such that every operator on the space is close to an operator of A. (Gowers, Maurey, 1994).

Thence is follows that \displaystyle\int_2^3 7x\,dx = 17.5 \Box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahomyemane778)
    Wait what?! You don't have the Bertrand-Chebyshev?! O.o What about the Hardy-Littlewood?

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got 37 so I'm hoping for 38 this time around
    Glad to hear it Dudley

ReputationRep:
    Are you on the mickey mouse exam board or something?

Im on edexcel. Am I in a dream world? Why the hell would Bertrand's Postulate appear in FP3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW24595)

I realized it wasn't all that obvious. So, I decided to elaborate a little. The proof is nothing too extraordinary, but it does make some delightfully intricate use of symmetry.

Consider that:

\phi(\omega_f^p) = \phi(\omega \land \omega \land .... \omega) 

\Rightarrow \phi(\omega_f^p) = \displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{nCp} \sum_{\pi \in s(p,j)} sgn(\pi) \phi (W_{\pi(j_1)} W_{\pi(j_2)}....W_{\pi(j_p)}) dz^j

Now, recall that r is the cyclic action on the permutation group Sp defined by
     r(j) = (j+1), 1 ≤ j ≤ p−1 and  r(p) = (1). Clearly  rSp = S_p , and  sgn(r^{-1} \pi) = (−1)^{p−1} sgn(\pi) . Since p is odd,  sgn(r^{−1} \pi) = sgn(\pi) . And so we have our trace. Moving  W_{j_i} to the first in every product, we are done.

From here on, the proof is trivial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    The solutions posted so far are good, but I will use a different approach.

Firstly, it's obvious by the finiteness of \displaystyle\lim_{n \to \infty}\inf(p_{n+m}-p_n ) (Zhang, 2013) that the integral is well defined.

It is left to calculate its value. Consider an algebra A over an 4k-dimensional Hyperkahler manifold as k \to \infty. Then it is possible to construct a Banach space X such that every operator on the space is close to an operator of A. (Gowers, Maurey, 1994).

Thence is follows that \displaystyle\int_2^3 7x\,dx = 17.5 \Box
    I don't quite understand the statement "4k-dimensional Hyperkahler manifold", since all Hyperkahler manifolds have dimension 4k. It's like me saying "consider an associative group".

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand the statement "4k-dimensional Hyperkahler manifold", since all Hyperkahler manifolds have dimension 4k. It's like me saying "consider an associative group".
    That's just to help increase clarity. Otherwise  k \to \infty could refer to absolutely anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.