The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You get them week in week out in the prem - we wiped the floor with Palace first half, created chance after chance, contrived to miss them all and then gave them a goal. Roll on the championship next season.

Heard about your domination, you've had a few of them this season. We aren't good enough to go up, but that doesn't stop the hope..
Original post by TornadoGR4
By all accounts it was an absolute disgusting display of refereeing, really disappointed to not even pick up a point at Elland Road.

It was fairly comical but not completely one sided. The Leeds fans we talked to on the bus home reckoned we deserved the win - as bad as the ref was none of the decisions really affected goal scoring situations. He gave us every 50/50 in the middle of the pitch and missed some blatant handballs both ways. He should have clamped down on your simulation in the first half and our willingness to capitalise on that once he'd recognised it in the second. You weren't bad enough to go down but you also didn't create a single chance worth talking about until the final five minutes whereas Andre Gray and Jota should have had us 2-0 up inside thirty minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and the "champions of Europe" chant is frankly embarrassing - is that intended?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jangrafess
Oh and the "champions of Europe" chant is frankly embarrassing - is that intended?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"We are the Champions, Champions of Europe"

In relation to the 1975 European cup final in which we were denied due to so.e fairly dodgy officiating on that day, but I agree it's a cringey chant.

The away fans sit quite near the south stand, aren't they a pleasant bunch? Don't think they know how to sit down.

Tragically it would've cost me around £50 to attend today, guess I saved myself £50 then.
"We are the Champions, Champions of Europe"

In relation to the 1975 European cup final in which we were denied due to so.e fairly dodgy officiating on that day, but I agree it's a cringey chant.

The away fans sit quite near the south stand, aren't they a pleasant bunch? Don't think they know how to sit down.

Tragically it would've cost me around £50 to attend today, guess I saved myself £50 then.

Right, that makes a little more sense given the context. It's not half as cringy as our chant about Jimmy Savile being "one of your own".

The south stand were the best home fans I've seen anywhere bar FC United. Home fans generally just don't make that much noise throughout a match their team is doing **** at - that's usually the reserve of away fans. We built up a good rapport with them from the first few minutes when the ref made a dodgy handball call. A lad with glasses came under a lot of stick from us but rose to it well, unlike the gent who must have eaten about a litre of his own snot throughout the game. He was furious every time we caught him doing it but not enough to stop doing it.
I'd expect Callum Wilson to be snapped up by a PL club this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdH_lt32CiQ

Just an amazing atmosphere for a seventh tier club. I love having them as my second team.
Glad to see Bradford win tonight too. A team I have a soft spot for beating the biggest joke in the 72.
Glad to see Bradford win tonight too. A team I have a soft spot for beating the biggest joke in the 72.

Ugh - poor game and poor result, but Bradford did well given the conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdH_lt32CiQ

Just an amazing atmosphere for a seventh tier club. I love having them as my second team.

Not only is that support worthy of league football, it's better than some championship teams. I hope they can climb up the divisions and eventually break into the football league. It's also admirable that these supporters can determined the lure from a club like Man Utd.

Question is, is it sustainable for them to keep moving forward. A club owned & run by the supporters is great in theory but do they have the financial power to break into the football league. Similarly, didn't they agree to not use a shirt sponsor?
Not only is that support worthy of league football, it's better than some championship teams. I hope they can climb up the divisions and eventually break into the football league. It's also admirable that these supporters can determined the lure from a club like Man Utd.

Question is, is it sustainable for them to keep moving forward. A club owned & run by the supporters is great in theory but do they have the financial power to break into the football league. Similarly, didn't they agree to not use a shirt sponsor?

The decision not to have a shirt sponsor is written into the constitution of the club but there's no reason it can't be revisited at some point. I feel like this season is the club's best chance of promotion to the Conference North in a few years (and last year they missed out by one point to Chorley). I think a League Two club could be run sustainably by the supporters, certainly. Whether they could go any further is up for debate but at the moment League football isn't what people are thinking about. It's getting out of the Northern League, where they've been about six years now.
The pitch at Valley Parade...
Original post by Mackay
The pitch at Valley Parade...

Complete dump, but I guess it matches the rest of the city.
We don't get anything against Reading. Ever.

Brentford vs Watford looks tasty though, shame none of these games are on Sky with BT having the Premier League games.
Is it me or is the standard of refereeing getting worse and worse, I know I shouldn't blame some of Millwall's loses on referees but Jesus Christ they shouldn't be getting such simple decisions wrong because that, for us, could be the difference between relegation or survival that one decision a referee gets wrong
Love Tuesday night games under the lights, and Stevenage always win in midweek. Bring it on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Callum Wilson puts Bournemouth 1-0 up against Derby in a clash of the titans at the top. I love that they show every goal in the Championship on Gillette Soccer Special too.
Put the ball in the net for pete's sake
"Paul Lambert - Birmingham Legend"
In love with Odion Ighalo. Confirmed.

Quick Reply

Latest