The Classics Society Mk II Watch

placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just wondering what you think about 'Atlantis', the current BBC series?
medbh4805
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The edition of one of my set texts with a German commentary is one tenth of the price of the version with an English commentary (£5 vs £50)

why :cry2:
PodgyBoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello all,

you must excuse me for not reading all 132 pages of the society. I'm gonna admit I'm here for advice but Id be happy to partake in a bit of "Latin banter" if such an opportunity arises.

Ive sent off my application to university and interviews are approaching! Any tips for preparation anyone, or advice on how to conduct myself when Im in there?

Thanks
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
Just wondering what you think about 'Atlantis', the current BBC series?
Watched two episodes so far, interesting premise.

Spoiler:
Show
They seem to have skimmed over the part where he's integrating, it was unrealistic how quickly Jason accepted it, but I'd rather that than dragging it out too long.

Pythagoras
PodgyBoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aemiliana)
Bloody Scullard, some of the things he says in his Pompey chapter (Gracchi to Nero) make no sense on a basic English level. Or at least to my coffee-deprived mind.
OMG I thought I was alone. I seriously had to give up with that book once I reached that chapter.
Tweak6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! So who else is applying for classics at uni this year and, if so, where?

I've applied to Cambridge (ahhhh), St Andrews, Exeter, Nottingham, and Newcastle. Already got an offer from Nottingham for AAB or alternate conditions A*AC. Cause of course if I fall on a grade it will be the B. Logic. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Cassiopea)
That does give me hope the only problem is the exams here, the best unis in the Uk will only accept you if you get over 95% at your Esame di Stato, and that is pretty though, but thanks so much for the information
Also lots of us applying for Classics from within the UK haven't taken Greek at all, so I'd say your in pretty good stead.
Darth_Newdar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello! I'm also applying for Classics this year, at Oxford, Exeter, Durham, King's College London, and University College London. I got my first offer on Wednesday from King's (AAB), so at least somebody wants me. Just worrying about the CAT for Oxford at the moment...
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Darth_Newdar)
Just worrying about the CAT for Oxford at the moment...
You mean the FELES

Spoiler:
Show
Or CATTUS :kitty:
Darth_Newdar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You mean the FELES

Spoiler:
Show
Or CATTUS :kitty:
non illam felem, sed alteram innui.
PodgyBoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
woo cambridge
LuxVeritatis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Applied for Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, UCL and KCL with the Latin and Greek A Levels already in the bag and currently panicking hard about the CAT on Wednesday.
PodgyBoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
any good vocab lists or websites?
Tweak6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh, good luck with the CAT you guys! One of the reasons I applied to Cambridge was so I atleast have a chance at interview before they realize how rubbish my translation skills are! :P
Darth_Newdar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PodgyBoy)
any good vocab lists or websites?
I highly recommend Memrise, that's where I learn all my vocab: Memrise

There's this A2 vocab tester too, which is quite helpful: AQA A2 Latin Vocabulary Tester
*Corinna*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tweak6)
Hey! So who else is applying for classics at uni this year and, if so, where?

I've applied to Cambridge (ahhhh), St Andrews, Exeter, Nottingham, and Newcastle. Already got an offer from Nottingham for AAB or alternate conditions A*AC. Cause of course if I fall on a grade it will be the B. Logic. :rolleyes:
Which college?

Congrats to everyone already holding an offer.
Tweak6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by *Corinna*)
Which college?

Congrats to everyone already holding an offer.
Newnham. And the admissions stats have already come out so I know theres only 6 of us applying there for classics, so that raised my spirits for a day or so!
medbh4805
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
googling around while essay writing...seems even the ancients can't avoid the Daily mail's slander. loving how they treat seutonius as fact. :lol:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eparavity.html
lfindlay33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey, i've received an offer from liverpool for classics ABB and i wondered if anyone knew anyone at liverpool or there and doing classics?? so far i know no one who is applying for classics at liverpool or is applying just to liverpool
placenta medicae talpae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lfindlay33)
hey, i've received an offer from liverpool for classics ABB and i wondered if anyone knew anyone at liverpool or there and doing classics?? so far i know no one who is applying for classics at liverpool or is applying just to liverpool
I know someone who did classics at Liverpool a number of years ago, if that's somehow any help to you?

Btw, can I get a classicist's perspective on the whole 'lorem ipsum' thing?
I'm not looking for anything in particular, and have no idea why I'm even asking, but would just like any random comments you have
lfindlay33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know someone who did classics at Liverpool a number of years ago, if that's somehow any help to you?

Btw, can I get a classicist's perspective on the whole 'lorem ipsum' thing?
I'm not looking for anything in particular, and have no idea why I'm even asking, but would just like any random comments you have
I guess it's helpful - did they like it there?? and sorry can't help you on the lorem ipsum thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed