Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Arshavins tweets a few minutes ago have basically confirmed he's left the club now. I know he was deadwood but I still feel kinda sad
    I'm celebrating tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    3 months of normality

And then it all starts again!

"Negative Spiral" he said. pfft

ReputationRep:
    Koscielny, man. No words to describe him, easily our best player in the final third of the season. Funny that he's the epitome of the 'typical Wenger signing' - unknown, cheap, French and from Ligue 2. One of the best CBs Arsenal's had, if not the best, since the Emirates move.

Very happy.

AVB should probably think twice before opening his mouth with that 'negative spiral' nonsense. In 10 games, we had 8 wins and 2 draws. In 10 games, they dropped 7 points to fall behind us yet again.

Hoping for a good summer. It's been a season of mixed emotions (low moment bradford, high moment any of 7-5 v reading, 5-2 v spurs or 7-3 v newcastle) but I am sad it's over.

NOW WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL AUGUST?

ReputationRep:
    3 months of endless bull**** transfer rumours. Wouldn't be surprised if we were linked to christiano ronaldo. ****ing useless annoying media *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Apparently their is going to be some sort of confirmation of a top arsenal signing before or slightly after the end of the season. Arsenal Trend on twitter says the deal been done and formalities are being sorted. This is just twitter rumours not fact
    Wonder if this will happen soon if at all

ReputationRep:
    There's the confederation cups to keep you occupied.

ReputationRep:
    Gary speaks so much sense.

ReputationRep:
    Happy St Totteringham's Day all!

ReputationRep:
    CL money is £30m compared to Europa league money being £2.5m. Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I bet he's feeling pretty stupid now for snubbing arsenal
    To be fair Koscielney and Vertonghen would be an amazing CB pairing :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    AVB should probably think twice before opening his mouth with that 'negative spiral' nonsense. In 10 games, we had 8 wins and 2 draws. In 10 games, they dropped 7 points to fall behind us yet again.
    He might have been referring to your progress over the last ten years rather than ten games, but in any case it's the rivalry. Szczesny loves having a spout when it suits him. It's to gain a psychological edge, it didn't work this time for AVB but might in the future.

ReputationRep:
    How was the game today? I went to the League One play-off final instead and missed it

ReputationRep:
    Nerve wracking. I thought the game at West Brom at the end of last season was bad but today was even worse. I no longer have fingernails. Anyway.. massive props to the team, worked together to pull us back from the brink. Fantastic consistency shown since the loss at Spurs when I really thought we'd blown it. The team has shown stability, something we've lacked for many a season. We've scored more goals, let less in and racked up more points than last season after losing Van Persie. Despite the disappointments of this season that is a massive achievement and seeing the team celebrate at the end at Newcastle was fantastic. Well earned.

Also, for once we don't look likely to lose any crucial players this summer. That, combined with the CL money (assuming we qualify) and the increased revenue the club will receive through new deals means I think we have a great chance to significantly improve the team by the start of next season. Of course it's satisfying to finish above Spurs but I don't want to get carried away. We only beat them by a point. To be honest I'm sick of scrapping for top4 right down to the wire. It's time to kick on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    To be fair Koscielney and Vertonghen would be an amazing CB pairing :coma:
    I don't think they would to be honest. Too similar, Vertonghen is just like an upgraded Vermaelen and Koscielny-Vermaelen doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I would love to know which Arsenal fan perfected the art of trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    He might have been referring to your progress over the last ten years rather than ten games, but in any case it's the rivalry. Szczesny loves having a spout when it suits him. It's to gain a psychological edge, it didn't work this time for AVB but might in the future.
    The fact that AVB responded to chezney with "your not a real fan" nonsense made him look like a fool. He shouldn't really be responding to players. I also notice how Wenger never mentioned Spurs in his conferences, he always maintained arsenal should focus on themselves. AVB has a lot to learn and if he's wise he'd sell Bale abroad so he doesn't plague the PL next season

(Original post by rockrunride)
    N'awww. Can't say I agree on that one.

are you actually serious? vertonghen better than koscielny? sorry i beg to differ, he's good, but not as good as koscielny.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    26 points from 30 and the pressure was really on to get those points. Do we really need a massive squad overhaul?
    Not at all to be honest. Numbers don't always tell the whole story, but over the course of 38 league games, we picked up 3 more points than last season, and boosted our goal difference by 10 (25 to 35 this season). Who would have thought that we would have the second best defence in the league this year? We conceded 12 goals fewer than last season (49 v 37), and solid defence has converted 3 losses from last year into 3 draws this year, hence the 3 extra points. Then despite losing RVP, who picked up the golden boot for us last year and got it for Man Utd this year, we've only scored two goals less (74 v 72).

The big overhaul we needed in the wake of RVP going was getting the Giroud/Cazorla/Podolski/Walcott quartet firing together, which worked out nicely in the end with them all scoring in double figures, and doing a lot of work assisting eachother too. Getting our defensive unit working together and cutting the mistakes was needed, instead of any personnel changes (with the exception of Koscielny for Vermaelen). Maybe the Steve Bould effect really did work in the end. Then in the midfield, we've looked pretty good this year. Arteta's done really well adapting to the holding mid position, Ramsey and Rosicky have been quality in this run in, and Jack has had a pretty good season in terms of getting good game time and growing back into the game, even with the constant ankle problems he's had. But this summer he should hopefully be able to get over that.

Looking to next season though, a striker to boost the goals tally even further would be nice. Someone who would have the quality to really help us in the big games. If only we hadn't lost against Chelsea twice, 3rd would have been ours. So we need to swing those 6 pointers in our favour. Also this season we've been lucky that for most of the season, we've had the aforementioned quartet healthy and available. With a year of gelling and acclimatisation they should be even better next year, with an extra striker to give us some good depth in the attacking spots. At the back, if Sagna goes then a RB to echo the Monreal/Gibbs dynamic on the left would be alright. But I don't want Sagna to go personally. He still contributes a lot to the team, and if there's anyone in the squad who I'd have patience for during a rough patch, it would be him because of his consistence for the whole time he has been at Arsenal, up until his first leg break. To be fair to him as well, he has looked better in the past couple of weeks. I think with one more year of understudying Sagna, Jenkinson will be able to become the starting RB from 2014/15 onwards.

As for the DM spot, someone to help there would be nice. But I think that the Arteta/Ramsey partnership has really helped the defence behind them. Between them they put in a lot of tackles and make interceptions, and for the most part it seems to work. Arteta still has a couple of good years in him yet, so I think a combination of Arteta/Ramsey/new DM should work for next season, mixing and matching depending on who we play. Not sure Wenger rates Frimpong highly enough for DM. Overall though, this squad really has a lot going for it. Since Bayern Munich, we've shown that we can get results. That's the sort of effective, if unspectacular, consistency we need to carry into next season. It would just be nice to tip the balance more towards decisive, and less towards trouser browning.

ReputationRep:
    Last 5 mins of that game..........jeeeez.......

ReputationRep:
    Although people criticize spurs for being a one man team with bale and us last year with van persie - i feel we need someone who can get us those game changers especially against the top 6 where we haven't done that well.

Not sure who though and i dont really want someone too big like falcao as the team seems more balanced now and less reliant on one player

would love lewandowski, mandzukic or reus :moon: although doubt they would come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    What about Wigan they won the FA cup.. Your telling me that their players are mentally strong but end up losing a much bigger game 3 days later ? Stop defending wenger.. He could of easily won a FA or league cup in the last 8 years but lacks the abilities to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Birmingham in the FA Cup final was a freak game, we could've easily got silverware that day.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.