The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by crayz)
I have an interesting question which bill cut spending by the most and which bill increased spending by the most in MHOC history?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2614986

Both libertarian bills i believe although to be fair to them they miscalculated the amount of revenue they had to play with and my budget review applied it retrospectively.
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will next year be the first GE where 6 parties will win seats in England?
Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, Respect, Greens and UKIP (will focus heavily on 1-5 seats)
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm without checking up any stats or anything i'd wager that only the top three will get a seat
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, Respect, Greens and UKIP (will focus heavily on 1-5 seats)
Respect will keep Galloway's seat I expect, Greens in Brighton should be an interesting one, UKIP as you say will only win seats if they focus on certain seats, so it's possible but not certain by any means.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
*for the record, I have been elected as the new Labour Party leader.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's an interesting one. Galloway may keep his seat, though in a general election there will be less of a protest vote factor than in the by-election. Universal swings would suggest that even a marginal increase in the Labour vote would mean Caroline Lucas will lose her seat - hopefully her local popularity might abate that somewhat, but the disaster that seems to be Brighton's Green council may also go against her. As for UKIP, seat predictors suggest that they'd need as much as around 23% of the vote to even win one seat (which is completely ridiculous), but if they sustain their position in the polls I'd imagine local factors could contribute to them winning a couple of seats, though nothing substantial.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Congrats!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On the subject of seats i actually did some analysis when playing around with figures a few weeks ago. It's only my personal thoughts which is why it does not fit exactly with the polls (i don't think the Lib Dems will be below 15% come the general election for one thing - It should be noted that the heads of Youguv and Comres have said the same on the Daily Politics as well despite showing them very low).

Anyhow, provided Scotland stays then the Libs lose 13 seats (12 to Labour). The interesting thing though is that if Ukip cut into the Tory vote enough to generate a swing of even 3% from the Tories to Lib Dems in some seats then the Libs have a chance to take 7 Tory seats.

Ukip (if we exclude the speakers seat as an anomaly last time) have a chance in 6 seats realistically based on the council elections last year. That does include Eastleigh though which i doubt they'll take given that it's a general election and polling for the local election there has the Lib Dems at 40% which coupled with keeping the seat in a by-election suggests to me that the Libs are safe in 2015 so long as they have a decent ground campaign.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Anyhow, provided Scotland stays then the Libs lose 13 seats (12 to Labour). The interesting thing though is that if Ukip cut into the Tory vote enough to generate a swing of even 3% from the Tories to Lib Dems in some seats then the Libs have a chance to take 7 Tory seats.
Yes, that's a very interesting phenomena - if you play with this seat prediction tool enough, you notice that a high UKIP vote share generally has little effect but to reduce the amount of seats the Lib Dems lose.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It'll be a two horse race between Tories and Labour. Lib Dems will lose a large majority of seats, probably winning about 20 max.

Greens will probably lose Brighton, given the unpopularity and incompetence of the local Green-led council. Caroline Lucas will be fighting Labour to keep her majority.

George Galloway might hold Bradford, but only if Labour seriously ****-up their local campaign. Not sure Respect will win any more seats.

I'll predict 2-3 gains for UKIP, depending on where they stand, their ability to harness disaffected/floating voters and the profile of their candidates. I expect Farage to win, especially if he stands in his home seat in Kent.

Just my own interpretation of predictions!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I predict a Monster Raving Loony win
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I predict a Monster Raving Loony win
The Oxford branch of the MRLP were doing Morris dancing in the town centre yesterday, they let me get involved, was cracking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cheese_Monster)
The Oxford branch of the MRLP were doing Morris dancing in the town centre yesterday, they let me get involved, was cracking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They've recovered quickly! Dancing the day after facing accrington
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
They've recovered quickly! Dancing the day after facing accrington
There's definitely a certain solace in knowing you're ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
Respect will keep Galloway's seat I expect, Greens in Brighton should be an interesting one, UKIP as you say will only win seats if they focus on certain seats, so it's possible but not certain by any means.
If what I've heard about from a couple of friends in Bradfordis correct Galloway has a uphill task. Not only will he have the disadvantage of a higher turnout compared to his by-election victory, but a campaing has apparently been started called "Where's George?". He has spent most of his time going between Westminster and his native Scotland to campaign for the Union with the 3-cheeks-of-the-same-butt he hates so much with his "Just Say Naw" tour. I expect Labour to reclaim that seat.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Well, at least you have a beard.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
If what I've heard about from a couple of friends in Bradfordis correct Galloway has a uphill task. Not only will he have the disadvantage of a higher turnout compared to his by-election victory, but a campaing has apparently been started called "Where's George?". He has spent most of his time going between Westminster and his native Scotland to campaign for the Union with the 3-cheeks-of-the-same-butt he hates so much with his "Just Say Naw" tour. I expect Labour to reclaim that seat.
It's a good thing the boundary reform never went through, my council ward would be absorbed into his seat.
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
really? ah okay, I didn't realise he was as useless as he sounded lol, can't say I will miss him, he is bonkers, makes the Left look a joke with his antics, which is annoying cause if he weren't such an egotistic buffoon he would have good points to make.
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
really? ah okay, I didn't realise he was as useless as he sounded lol, can't say I will miss him, he is bonkers, makes the Left look a joke with his antics, which is annoying cause if he weren't such an egotistic buffoon he would have good points to make.
Agreed. I can say from person experience he was utterly inept when he was my MP (for Bethnal Green and Bow), a million times more interested in his own career than in his constituents. Still preferable in my eyes to the complete-beyond-useless bland prototype New Labour MPs we've had before and after him though which really says a lot.
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agreed. I can say from person experience he was utterly inept when he was my MP (for Bethnal Green and Bow), a million times more interested in his own career than in his constituents. Still preferable in my eyes to the complete-beyond-useless bland prototype New Labour MPs we've had before and after him though which really says a lot.
fair enough, rather tragic that one of the few people standing up for proper old Labour policies in the RL HoC is an egotist like him, we need an army of modern day Tony Benn's to take over Labour I think haha!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

fair enough, rather tragic that one of the few people standing up for proper old Labour policies in the RL HoC is an egotist like him, we need an army of modern day Tony Benn's to take over Labour I think haha!
Being on the left, what do you think to his pro-Iran stance.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.29%
No - I got the required grades (54)
62.07%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.64%

Watched Threads