GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
I was thinking about writing about standard solutions, not procedure because I thought that was for scientists? Regardless, examiners can't mark that wrong as I see why it's relevant. Which equation? The one with butane or butanol and oxygen?
I said said if mike was a scientist :/ i did consider standard solution aswell but i don't think it'd be paet of the MS as you're already explaining titration then and that standard solution could be a 6 marker itself :s

The harder one, i really don't remember :/
Did you talk about that lump preventer thing at the bottom of the tube in the distillation question?i didn't know what to say about it as i wouldn't think it relevant till drying stages?
JasonBrown2K14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Common gas produced with sodium and butanol and sodium and water was hydrogen
Somebody after the exam told me that. I didn't know so I guessed, but not hydrogen. Ah well. :P

RFM of H2SO4 was 98
Arguments for ammonia: used in world food corporations/productions, benefits outweigh risks of harm to people, used in fertilisers that harm animals, not humans
Yes on both fronts.

Similarity - both produce water H2O
Difference - hydrocarbons and oxygen produce CO2, hydrogen and oxygen doesn't
Yes.
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you guys

I just remembered that I didn't know what to put - so I also said that it's a chemical used daily by people and that scientists also use it in reactions lol. Would this effect my mark?
I doubt it

(Original post by Fishhy34)
what did you write for the titration 6 marker??
Explain ed titration briefly step by step trying to refer to accuracy as that was what the question said
Said a conclusion about how to maximise accuracy- repeats, rough titration for approximate end point so you can slow down,work out mean (ignoring any outliers), you don't want a range bigger than 0.2
I also said abot standard procedure but i don't think that was relevant :/
You?
beth27478
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the titration 6 marker I put that the alkali is in the beaker and the acid in the burette, is this the wrong way round and if it is but the rest right how many marks would I lose?
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rough grade boundaries for this exam? I have a strong feeling it'll be between 39-42 for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by lyricalvibe)
I said said if mike was a scientist :/ i did consider standard solution aswell but i don't think it'd be paet of the MS as you're already explaining titration then and that standard solution could be a 6 marker itself :s

The harder one, i really don't remember :/
Did you talk about that lump preventer thing at the bottom of the tube in the distillation question?i didn't know what to say about it as i wouldn't think it relevant till drying stages?
I'm so glad a standard solution 6 marker didn't come up! I was literally squinting with fear after every page that I turned that I didn't see one. I can't really remember any equations that needed balancing except the one with oxygen? Yup I said one sentence about it as I had no idea what it did - I said that it reduces the collisions between the ethanol and water as it's an anti-BUMPING granule, but according to Olymyster when he looked it up, it was to remove vapours in water or something. Meh - I don't think that it'd effect the marks to be honest, or if so, only by a mark.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by beth27478)
For the titration 6 marker I put that the alkali is in the beaker and the acid in the burette, is this the wrong way round and if it is but the rest right how many marks would I lose?
I think I may have put that too - I've always seen acid in the burette before, but I don't think it specified in the question. If we did miss something we'll probably only lose a mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Invest)
I also have further maths tomorrow and I just had a 2 hour booster session with my maths teacher. I am still feeling unprepared Is there any threads on further maths for tomorrow?
Here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post48234604
And here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...953&p=48221004

Sulfur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Krollo)
I think I may have put that too - I've always seen acid in the burette before, but I don't think it specified in the question. If we did miss something we'll probably only lose a mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did he have 25.0cm3 of acid or alkali? If it was the acid, then you were right to say acid in burette.
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by beth27478)
I don't remember tbh, i think the one that was 25cm3 was in the beaker

I wouldn't lose more than a mark if you got it wrong though-if even that. The examiners always try benefit of the doubt and to help you basically.And you theoretically can't lose marks
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did he have 25.0cm3 of acid or alkali? If it was the acid, then you were right to say acid in burette.
I can't even remember to be honest. Nothing I can do now anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
beth27478
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe alkali? Does anyone know?
NadeemKha_Arab
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep I said Alkali is in the beaker because we already know the amount? So i though you'd use the burette to drip the acid in until it neutralises the 25.0cm3 of alkali.
lucysnell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am pretty sure it was acid, I put that too xx
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DDan123)
Rough grade boundaries for this exam? I have a strong feeling it'll be between 39-42 for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
I said 38-42 but tbh i have no idea :s i think for a C it'd be low but for an A* it shouldn't vary to much from last year(same diffixulty
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you guys

I just remembered that I didn't know what to put - so I also said that it's a chemical used daily by people and that scientists also use it in reactions lol. Would this effect my mark?
You're right in what you said, so I think you will get 3 marks ^^
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My prediction on grade boundaries:

C-17
B- 24
A- 30
A*-38
lyricalvibe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm so glad a standard solution 6 marker didn't come up! I was literally squinting with fear after every page that I turned that I didn't see one. I can't really remember any equations that needed balancing except the one with oxygen? Yup I said one sentence about it as I had no idea what it did - I said that it reduces the collisions between the ethanol and water as it's an anti-BUMPING granule, but according to Olymyster when he looked it up, it was to remove vapours in water or something. Meh - I don't think that it'd effect the marks to be honest, or if so, only by a mark.
same those last 4 pages on the cgp book seemed to have neen ignored and i didn't do them in depth
Yeah i think I'm talking about that equation
Same, i just ignored it and i don't think you'd lose a mark, that's the most stupid name for it then, it's like ocr intentionally tried to make students get it wrong :angry:
Invest
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thank you
Tas0920
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i thought that c7 test was kinda bad but some of it went okay
for the ammonia question, my mind went completely blank so i just put that organisms take it in to survive, would i get a mark for that?
also why did the two people add sulfuric acid to their experiment?
i've got a further mathematics exam tomorrow too :?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise