The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Higlet
95% certain! I just prefer the accommodation and city at MMU
But I feel like I should go with the course and Birmingham has more coursework that's what I feel more comfortable with. If MMU had less exams (it looks like they have a few on uni stats!) I would have gone there definitely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't all exams - loads of coursework which I am ploughing my way through now lol! My first exam isn't till May then I think there are about 5 (I believe some are even multiple choice!). I liked MMU out of my options last year because it was a more practical/hands on approach - Manchester for instance seems more academic (someone posted about the number of exams they have done already yikes).
Original post by AmyPilot
It isn't all exams - loads of coursework which I am ploughing my way through now lol! My first exam isn't till May then I think there are about 5 (I believe some are even multiple choice!). I liked MMU out of my options last year because it was a more practical/hands on approach - Manchester for instance seems more academic (someone posted about the number of exams they have done already yikes).

Is that 5 exams this year or 5 over all the years?
I know Birmingham only had 2 exams - one in first year and one in the final year!

This definitely does sway my opinion a bit though!
I know at Birmingham there was 2 big block placements in the second and third year but I don't think there was anything in the first year - except talking to a stroke patient!
It's so difficult! I think I'm going one way then I start thinking the other!
Why is it so difficult?! :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Is that 5 exams this year or 5 over all the years?
I know Birmingham only had 2 exams - one in first year and one in the final year!

This definitely does sway my opinion a bit though!
I know at Birmingham there was 2 big block placements in the second and third year but I don't think there was anything in the first year - except talking to a stroke patient!
It's so difficult! I think I'm going one way then I start thinking the other!
Why is it so difficult?! :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's this year sorry! But I can assure you the course has lots of coursework/assignments. I have a research methods report a child development study and a video assignment that I am slowly but surely working my way through!! Oh and there are no lectures after the end of March through April so you can revise/study for the exams in May.

Another thing to consider is that BCU could make a good insurance choice cos they seem more flexible come results day so you could have SLT as a firm and insurance rather than taking a different course as your insurance. Something else to think about lol
Hi all!

I wondered if someone who has had an interview at Leeds could tell me if I'm meant to know what the piece of writing we have to do at the interview is about? I know some of my friends on the access course have has essays to prepare and write at interview - just wanted to check I'm not supposed to know something!! Does that make sense???!! I don't mean I want to know what it is if I'm not supposed to know, I just wanted to check I haven't missed some vital bit of info...
Original post by Baarbs
Hi all!

I wondered if someone who has had an interview at Leeds could tell me if I'm meant to know what the piece of writing we have to do at the interview is about? I know some of my friends on the access course have has essays to prepare and write at interview - just wanted to check I'm not supposed to know something!! Does that make sense???!! I don't mean I want to know what it is if I'm not supposed to know, I just wanted to check I haven't missed some vital bit of info...

If its like last year then the written part is a question and answer exercise.
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah I totally get where you're coming from, however I really liked both so it's not that I wouldn't like to go to either of them. I wish I could go to both! Since I've known it's the career I want, the specific university doesn't seem much of a big deal. There's loads jumping out at me about both. As I stated I know it's a personal decision - but considering all options is what's gonna help me to make the decision.

No I get you.

i just think you need to work out what you want from your uni experience, if you want something a bit more lively and the whole 'experience' then DMU is it. If you're wanting to focus on the academic side and have and have a more chilled experience then I'd prollies firm Marjon.
Original post by eskimok1
Yeah haha, I got an offer but I don't really wanna go there!

Fair enough haha!
Congrats on all your offers guys!
First year BCU student studying SLT here! Let me know if you have any questions!
Spaces for SLT in clearing:
Yes at least 4 people i know got into the course through clearing!
Just saw some people posting about this so thought id clarify!
If its like last year then the written part is a question and answer exercise.

Thank you - my friends have had essay titles so I was wondering if I'd missed something. That's great! :smile:
Exams:
Im in my first year, we have two exams, 1 test (not an exam, a classroom test), the majority of the module this year is made of coursework!
hope this helps
Original post by Baarbs
Thank you - my friends have had essay titles so I was wondering if I'd missed something. That's great! :smile:

You're welcome - as I say my experience is from last year but don't think they have changed the selection process too much.

Good luck at your interview!
Further information about BCU assessment and placements; we have a conversation partner scheme where you visit a person with a speech difficulty, you have 6-8 sessions. ive had 4 sessions, and they are so valuable and really complement your learning that you take in during lectures! We also have a 4 day nursery placement over Easter, to observe typical speech development in Early Years, so im looking forward to that!
Any Q's please ask!

#BCUstudents
Original post by JordanC55
No I get you.

i just think you need to work out what you want from your uni experience, if you want something a bit more lively and the whole 'experience' then DMU is it. If you're wanting to focus on the academic side and have and have a more chilled experience then I'd prollies firm Marjon.

Yeah I'm 21 so I don't feel like the whole freshers thing appeals to me that much...and I'm sure there'd still be a lot going on at Marjon. I also read that marjon is the only one that qualifies you to work in dysphagia on the which university site. And I liked the atmosphere at Marjon too (we're probably going to be course mates)
You're welcome - as I say my experience is from last year but don't think they have changed the selection process too much.

Good luck at your interview!

Thank you!! :smile:
That's this year sorry! But I can assure you the course has lots of coursework/assignments. I have a research methods report a child development study and a video assignment that I am slowly but surely working my way through!! Oh and there are no lectures after the end of March through April so you can revise/study for the exams in May.

Another thing to consider is that BCU could make a good insurance choice cos they seem more flexible come results day so you could have SLT as a firm and insurance rather than taking a different course as your insurance. Something else to think about lol

I like the idea of no lectures, that'll give you chance to get revision done!
It's such a hard decision!
I'm just worried that if I don't get ABB and end up at Birmingham I may not end up with accommodation or really bad accommodation!
I never thought I'd get the opportunity to decide which uni to go to and now that I do I'm completely stalling haha!
Why is deciding so hard?
I think I'm going to have to re-consider my pros and cons list!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone on the uni of manc course know if there's many exams?
Hello again,

Does anyone know roughly how many weeks the course at Sheffield is? Just trying work out how much I'll be getting from the NHS bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah I'm 21 so I don't feel like the whole freshers thing appeals to me that much...and I'm sure there'd still be a lot going on at Marjon. I also read that marjon is the only one that qualifies you to work in dysphagia on the which university site. And I liked the atmosphere at Marjon too (we're probably going to be course mates)

See I'm 21 (and prollies deluded) but I still want to have a mental freshers but different horses to different courses! Exactly, Marjon will obviously do stuff, I don't know about the dysphasia thing but if that helps sway you then y'know where you need to go!

I'd say check out accommodation and prices as well!

My my offer came through the post from DMU today, it was so cool having it on paper :.)

Amy,

i feel like you are an absolute legend!

Quick Reply

Latest