Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I'm sure she's very proud of you. I mean, who wouldn't?
    Maybe she's a bit scared she may lose you to the world she'd not very familiar with?

Not sure if Christ does a similar thing or not, but the college my daughter went invite all the freshers' parents to the special welcome luncheon with the Master and academic staff about a month after the matriculation. (= about the time most students settle in their new life) They do it so that the parents, especially the ones who're not very familiar with Cambridge (or any university), can feel more assured and relaxed about their children's new life at the college. After the lunch the parents will have a chance to 're-unite' with their son/daughter to catch up/walk around in the college. it always seems very successful.
    There're other colleges who does a similar thing. (but not all, though) So if Christ does it, make sure your parents come to join it. Hopefully your dad'll concede Cambridge may be almost as good as Cardiff. Almost.....

lol it must be the worst season to have Ramadan. The sunset is so late!!!
    I suppose so.

:lol: not sure if I'd bring my dad to that, maybe mother. I have an unusual relationship, hard to explain. We don't really talk, or she talks and I don't really reply, it's bizarre.

Yeah, it isn't too bad though tbh. More not being able to properly enjoy the heat! Roast dinner tonight yum

I just want August to hurry up!!! Want to go on holiday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I suppose so.

:lol: not sure if I'd bring my dad to that, maybe mother. I have an unusual relationship, hard to explain. We don't really talk, or she talks and I don't really reply, it's bizarre.

Yeah, it isn't too bad though tbh. More not being able to properly enjoy the heat! Roast dinner tonight yum

I just want August to hurry up!!! Want to go on holiday
    I really hope Christ does hosts a similar occasion as I know many colleges don't. (I'm sure Christ's AT will come here soon to let us know if they do. ) If they haven't done it before, they should!
    There were some couples at our table who said their sons were the first in the family to go to university and had been very nervous about the prospect especially it's because Cambridge, but having the occasion like that really helped them to feel much better and less worried.
    Tell your mum to drag your dad along!!!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope Christ does hosts a similar occasion as I know many colleges don't. (I'm sure Christ's AT will come here soon to let us know if they do. ) If they haven't done it before, they should!
    There were some couples at our table who said their sons were the first in the family to go to university and had been very nervous about the prospect especially it's because Cambridge, but having the occasion like that really helped them to feel much better and less worried.
    Who knows, maybe this will make them host such an event!

I think their worries would be more to do with me dying :mmm: I'd rather starve than eat food I don't like, and I need to be fed and reminded to eat, or I'll just have like a meal or two

And limited self catering facilities might lead to some malnutrition lmao

ReputationRep:
    Lol my dad will go mental if he goes to cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One or the things is that it's such a lovely place to live for 4 years
    I hope I get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Lol my dad will go mental if he goes to cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe it's a good opportunity to change your dad's view about Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Who knows, maybe this will make them host such an event!

I think their worries would be more to do with me dying :mmm: I'd rather starve than eat food I don't like, and I need to be fed and reminded to eat, or I'll just have like a meal or two

And limited self catering facilities might lead to some malnutrition lmao
    lol
    Make good friends with people who live in the same corridor and assign them to check on you if you're eating properly!
    And train yourself to eat more widely during the summer holiday, too!

ReputationRep:
    lol
    Make good friends with people who live in the same corridor and assign them to check on you if you're eating properly!
    And train yourself to eat more widely during the summer holiday, too!
    Haha, I shall have a friend for each hour to make sure I have eaten regularly.

It'll be really hard, mum cooks everything for me now :moon: so when that's gone, and also the whole lack of halal meat in what I want, issues may arise.

But I guess I'll have the money to eat out a bit from student finance, but that feels irresponsible

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I shall have a friend for each hour to make sure I have eaten regularly.

It'll be really hard, mum cooks everything for me now :moon: so when that's gone, and also the whole lack of halal meat in what I want, issues may arise.

But I guess I'll have the money to eat out a bit from student finance, but that feels irresponsible
    Some colleges do serve halal meat though I don't know if Christ does. Have you checked?
    I know it's a different country/region where your family originally came from, but if you want reasonable South Asian cooking, this seems to be the best one according to my daughter's Asian friends.
    http://www.cocumrestaurant.co.uk
    Pity it's a bit far from Christ, thou....

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges do serve halal meat though I don't know if Christ does. Have you checked?
    I know it's a different country/region where your family originally came from, but if you want reasonable South Asian cooking, this seems to be the best one according to my daughter's Asian friends.
    http://www.cocumrestaurant.co.uk
    Pity it's a bit far from Christ, thou....
    Christ's do serve halal on request. Not sure how that'll work that, with regards to how often I can request or whatever.

Will have a look at that

Thanks for the help, nice to talk to an adult about it all :lol:
    http://www.isoc.co.uk/life/cambridge-halal-food-guide/

Looks like I'll be fine, just need to find people to eat with me haha

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's a good opportunity to change your dad's view about Cambridge!
    He loves it. He would just get excited like a little kid lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Christ's do serve halal on request. Not sure how that'll work that, with regards to how often I can request or whatever.

Will have a look at that

Thanks for the help, nice to talk to an adult about it all :lol:
    http://www.isoc.co.uk/life/cambridge-halal-food-guide/

Looks like I'll be fine, just need to find people to eat with me haha

From what I've seen, I don't think you'll have any problem in making friends and there're many people who don't mind halal tradition. I mean, there're loads of students who share your religion there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a recommended reading list for medicine (maybe someone already at Cambridge)? Pm me if you do. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    He loves it. He would just get excited like a little kid lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's what you meant. Good!
    Probably he won't be the only little-kid-like-daddy.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You can request halal for every meal.

ReputationRep:

From what I've seen, I don't think you'll have any problem in making friends and there're many people who don't mind halal tradition. I mean, there're loads of students who share your religion there anyway.
    It's funny, I always seem to gravitate towards the non Muslims. I like being the odd one out I guess

I can always dine alone or take out

(Original post by jneill)
    You can request halal for every meal.
    Really? Let's hope food is decent then :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    It's funny, I always seem to gravitate towards the non Muslims. I like being the odd one out I guess

I can always dine alone or take out
    :awesome:
    Lol there'll be very little chance you'll be the odd one out there. You'll have to learn to live without your celeb status!
    Seriously I don't think most people don't really care what your religion or other backgrouns might be. It's truly a mixed society in every sense (except for the academic prowess, probably) there, racially, socially, religiously, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol there'll be very little chance you'll be the odd one out there. You'll have to learn to live without your celeb status!
    Seriously I don't think most people don't really care what your religion or other backgrouns might be. It's truly a mixed society in every sense (except for the academic prowess, probably) there, racially, socially, religiously, etc. etc.
    Damn it

Sweet, sounds good though. Might actually make some friends, starting over again and again is rubbish

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it's truly mixed, coming from the east end of london its very white and i find it even has much less of a multicultural feel than my old independent school.

However I would agree that it is a very accepting environment although it might not be diverse it is certainly isn't segregated in anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I'm not sure it's truly mixed, coming from the east end of london its very white and i find it even has much less of a multicultural feel than my old independent school.
    That's actually very similar to my daughter's first impression when she started there. We live in the north east suburb of London and, though the area we live in and the private school she went are in the predominantly white/anglo-Saxon area, the school attracted many children from the surrounding areas because of the academic reputation and almost half of the students were from ethnic minority backgrounds or mixed race (so is my daughter).
    So Cambridge looked 'very white' to her eyes, while some of her friends there who came from some regional parts of UK got a completely opposite impression because the schools they attended and/or the area they came from were purely white/Anglo-Saxon and they'd never had non-white/ethinic neighbour on their street or a classmate at their schools.. So I think perhaps what impression you get may depend on where you come from and what you're used to.

Out of interest, we actually counted how many students with who apprently looked like from ethnic minority backgrounds were in the matriculation photo and it turned out the proportion of them were very close to the national proportion of ethnic minority population in UK.........except for black minorities.
    It's been said many times there aren't enough black minority students at universities in general, especially at the top unis like Oxbridge, and it seems to be true.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.