Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are our choices if we don't do well?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when the deciles will be released for this years UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnatomyGrad)
    Early October (I think it may be the 10th...)

(Original post by natalia.medicine)

If you're applying to medicine, there is always the opportunity to do the BMAT, and some universities use the UKCAT less than others, such as Cardiff (You need a lot of A*s at GCSE, though) and I think Keele.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Yes but with medicine what you have to understand is a requirement and what is likely to get an interview is very different. Barts wont accept anyone below the 3rd decile, they then use the ucas tarriff score combined 50:50 with the UKCAT score and the highest scorers get invited to interview, this means a score above the 3rd decile may not neccesarily mean an interview.
    480 tariff and 793 UKCAT good enough for Barts? I know you won't know precisely but do you think that'll be okay? I'm worried about my tariff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnatomyGrad)
    Late September or start of October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    BMAT, gap year and reapply, do a different degree and apply as a graduate?

ReputationRep:
    hi i was wondering, does the mark for decision making appear on the result sheet?
    also did u do all of the questions on decision making coz medify says u dont need to do them but im nervous.

ReputationRep:
    hi i was wondering, does the mark for decision making appear on the result sheet?
    also did u do all of the questions on decision making coz medify says u dont need to do them but im nervous.
    (Original post by Abubakr 7232)
    Hi,
    Did my ukcat and I really regret it now ughh
    AR - 650
    QR - 680
    VR - 500
    Average : 610
    Which unis can I possibly apply for now fgs?
    I was thinking of barts, Newcastle, Imperial and Southampton
    Any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz16)
    it doesn't appear.

You don't necessarily have to but it helps the UKCAT people so I did it anyways

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any useful keyboard shortcuts handy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraytz)
    Anyone got any useful keyboard shortcuts handy?
    Alt-N to go to the next question and Alt P to the previous.
    Alt F to flag and Alt-C to open the calculator.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I'm preparing for my UKCAT now, and I'm really struggling with the timing, especially in the verbal reasoning section. Does anyone have any tips or methods they used to get faster at that? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by manlike99)
    480 tariff and 793 UKCAT good enough for Barts? I know you won't know precisely but do you think that'll be okay? I'm worried about my tariff
    No idea call up barts or have a look on the past barts threads.

ReputationRep:
    I done the ukcat yesterday and I'm pretty happy with my score lol. I got:
    VR:590
    QR:640
    AR:610
    SJT: Band 1

I found the test MUCH harder than mocks (medify, ukcat mocks, some books like Kaplan) however, my average scores on medify were 550 for QR and VR, and 600 for AR. So when I got my marks I was happy because it was higher than expected.

VR was quite word and I ran out of time. I clearly focused on questions for too long which lost me time, but there were some bizarre 'inferences' to be made, and nearly all of them were inference type questions, slim few were T/F/CT. QR I found difficult, I haven't been in a maths class in 6 years LOL. Quite a few percentage differences, the rest were peculiar. AR was fine at the start, I got loads of type 2 and 3. I struggled with these in my mocks and performed better for type 1/4 questions, but I was able to identify patterns. When it came to shapes (type 1/4) I honestly couldn't identify patterns for some test cards, was bizarre. The SJT was quite difficult, many scenarios that were tricky, so I'm pleased I got a band 1.

My average is 613 (not great according to this) and total is 1840. However I'm applying for dentistry in QUB and they use the total to give you points so hopefully I get an interview. Don't be disheartened by your score, your personal statement and general jist of your academic history should be strong enough to convince admissions that you are worthy of an interview etc. On my work experience I let the dentist I was with answer a few ukcat questions and she was puzzled by them.

Oh did anyone attempt the decision questions? Some were HELL. One question was really difficult as you had a choice of yes and no, yet the answer in my opinion was inconclusive!! I really don't want to take it next year.

Why is everyone saying Kings college is ukcat heavy? I read that they aren't that bad with it, they take it into account but its more your academic results and personal statement that help grant you an interview?? I would love to apply but don't think I would stand a chance with the competition lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jujubell)
    I done the ukcat yesterday and I'm pretty happy with my score lol. I got:
    VR:590
    QR:640
    AR:610
    SJT: Band 1

I found the test MUCH harder than mocks (medify, ukcat mocks, some books like Kaplan) however, my average scores on medify were 550 for QR and VR, and 600 for AR. So when I got my marks I was happy because it was higher than expected.

VR was quite word and I ran out of time. I clearly focused on questions for too long which lost me time, but there were some bizarre 'inferences' to be made, and nearly all of them were inference type questions, slim few were T/F/CT. QR I found difficult, I haven't been in a maths class in 6 years LOL. Quite a few percentage differences, the rest were peculiar. AR was fine at the start, I got loads of type 2 and 3. I struggled with these in my mocks and performed better for type 1/4 questions, but I was able to identify patterns. When it came to shapes (type 1/4) I honestly couldn't identify patterns for some test cards, was bizarre. The SJT was quite difficult, many scenarios that were tricky, so I'm pleased I got a band 1.

My average is 613 (not great according to this) and total is 1840. However I'm applying for dentistry in QUB and they use the total to give you points so hopefully I get an interview. Don't be disheartened by your score, your personal statement and general jist of your academic history should be strong enough to convince admissions that you are worthy of an interview etc. On my work experience I let the dentist I was with answer a few ukcat questions and she was puzzled by them.

Oh did anyone attempt the decision questions? Some were HELL. One question was really difficult as you had a choice of yes and no, yet the answer in my opinion was inconclusive!! I really don't want to take it next year.

Why is everyone saying Kings college is ukcat heavy? I read that they aren't that bad with it, they take it into account but its more your academic results and personal statement that help grant you an interview?? I would love to apply but don't think I would stand a chance with the competition lol
    Unfortunately your score is way below average, so unless your academic tarrif is exceptional, I would be highly wary about applying to ukcat universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    Unfortunately your score is way below average, so unless your academic tarrif is exceptional, I would be highly wary about applying to ukcat universities.
    I have a first class honours degree from QUB. So I'll be a graduate applicant for wherever I apply, but will be doing chem and bio fast track a levels come September so I'm hoping for very good grades lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Hiya I'm preparing for my UKCAT now, and I'm really struggling with the timing, especially in the verbal reasoning section. Does anyone have any tips or methods they used to get faster at that? Thanks!
    Hi, i'm taking mine tomorrow, wish me luck!
    For verbal, personally i find the tips you can give are quite general but i'll try anyways.
    - firstly in some papers you can get some really long texts, and may not be able to go through them all, personally what i find best is to flag any stems with long sample texts and move on as all Qs are worth the same
    -With the inference and summary questions, you are going to need to know briefly what happens in the text, so you need to read fast enough to save time but still understand the text (it sounds hard, but trust me you will get it with practice) - Try and spot key dates or names as you read to refer back to for Qs
    -often Qs are chronological, so once you've read the first few paragraphs then check the first question to see if you can answer it

Its quite general but i hope that helps as a start!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone link me to the page with all the resources?
    Don't use studentroom so much so i still dont really know my way around yet XD
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwifruit99)
    Hi, can someone link me to the page with all the resources?
    Don't use studentroom so much so i still dont really know my way around yet XD
    Thank you!
    What resources do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    What resources do you mean?
    The list of free resources on this website... i found them once and i thought they were really useful but i cant seem to be able to find them again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.