Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Do you mean deriving the diagonalised matrix using \textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} ? If you are given eigenvalues, then you write them along the leading diagonal to get the diagonalised matrix, but if you are given eigenvectors then you form \textbf{P} which is the matrix with columns consisting of normalised eigenvectors. It depends on what the question is giving you. You can go either way since you can find eigenvalues using eigenvectors and vice versa using the characteristic equation for the matrix, but that would just waste unnecessary time.
    yea I just mean when have the eigenvalues can you just straight up write out D or is there some dumb rule where the examiners secretly want the derivation everytime without actually asking for it. But yeah Ill just write it down right away then. I think its one of those stupid things my teacher used to do everytime so I wasnt sure if it was necessary But thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    yea I just mean when have the eigenvalues can you just straight up write out D or is there some dumb rule where the examiners secretly want the derivation everytime without actually asking for it. But yeah Ill just write it down right away then. I think its one of those stupid things my teacher used to do everytime so I wasnt sure if it was necessary But thanks.
    Sorry, I am confused. What derivation are you talking about? If eigenvectors are given, you use \textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} and if eigenvalues are given then you just write them down as you are telling me about. You can do it the other way (turning eigenvalues into eigenvectors and then using the alternative method) but there is no point and it would take you way too long.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I am confused. What derivation are you talking about? If eigenvectors are given, you use \textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} and if eigenvalues are given then you just write them down as you are telling me about. You can do it the other way (turning eigenvalues into eigenvectors and then using the alternative method) but there is no point and it would take you way too long.
    Yea thats what I mean, when you pointlessly find the eigenvalues then find eigenvectors and do P^TAP. Cus everyone I know doing the exam does that everytime but it seems like a massive time waste XD

ReputationRep:
    Yea thats what I mean, when you pointlessly find the eigenvalues then find eigenvectors and do P^TAP. Cus everyone I know doing the exam does that everytime but it seems like a massive time waste XD
    Yeah, that's not needed. You can literally just place them on the leading diagonal, like you were talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's not needed. You can literally just place them on the leading diagonal, like you were talking about.
    Thanks, thats good! Also i looked a little into the "...with physics" course last year but cant remember what the major differences are aside from not doing the numbers and sets part. Is the extra stuff just more mechanics/relativity stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, thats good! Also i looked a little into the "...with physics" course last year but cant remember what the major differences are aside from not doing the numbers and sets part. Is the extra stuff just more mechanics/relativity stuff?
    Have you taken a look at this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/text_1.pdf ?

You replace D&R and N&S for first year Physics NatSci courses. Here is more detail on which are replaced, and which ones you are doing from the Physics part:

"The Mathematics with Physics option consists of courses given by the Faculty of Mathematics,which provide about three-quarters of the total workload, and courses given by the Physics department, including practical work, which provide the remaining quarter of the workload. The physics lectures provide a series of short courses on Dynamics,Rotational Mechanics and Special Relativity, Oscillating Systems, Waves and Quantum Waves, and Gravitational and Electromagnetic Fields. (These are the same as those in the first-year Physics component of the Natural Science Tripos.) The mathematical lectures are on Vectors and Matrices, Groups, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus,Analysis and Probability. There is no clash in the timetabling of the options, so that you can attend the lectures for both the Mathematics with Physics option and the Pure and Applied Mathematics option."

ReputationRep:
    How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    FRREEEEEEWDDOOOOOOMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    FRREEEEEEWDDOOOOOOMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No Physics tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here do the FP2 (MEI) exam this morning? It was horrendous honestly never had a harder A level exam

ReputationRep:
    How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah it was good thanks. I know I made one small error on the sin5x/sinx integration as I got an extra root 3/2 from somewhere but quite confident with the rest. How about u?

ReputationRep:
    Ah it was good thanks. I know I made one small error on the sin5x/sinx integration as I got an extra root 3/2 from somewhere but quite confident with the rest. How about u?
    I found the whole paper pretty easy, finished it fast up to 8 c) and then spent about 30-40 minutes thinking how to tackle 8 c). At the end I got it, although I am not 100% sure I got all the marks, I still think it is 100UMS.

Physics next!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I found the whole paper pretty easy, finished it fast up to 8 c) and then spent about 30-40 minutes thinking how to tackle 8 c). At the end I got it, although I am not 100% sure I got all the marks, I still think it is 100UMS.

Physics next!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha yes indeed! I literally finished in 35 minutes then spent ages checking. What mark do u normally need about to get full ums then?

ReputationRep:
    haha yes indeed! I literally finished in 35 minutes then spent ages checking. What mark do u normally need about to get full ums then?
    75 is full UMS. What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last 2 years has been like 65/75 for 100 but this year it will be much higher as i heard it was easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Last 2 years has been like 65/75 for 100 but this year it will be much higher as i heard it was easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow thats low. I mean it was a little easier than usual, but theres never anything too dire so hopefully thats good

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone predict what my score is for STEP 3? Thought I might scrape a 1 at first, but lost hope upon hearing that ppl find this an easy paper...

Q1: Part (i) and (iii). Start working on part (ii) using some substitutions, got weird terms in sec^x, didn't continue.

Q2: full (i), for (ii) and (iii) the lines and points I found were not independent of p, rather expressed in terms of r and q, so probably wrong.

Q4: full

Q5: part (ii) and part (iv), feeble attempts at (i) and (iii), didn't manage to prove them

Q6: First bit about z^n-1

Q8: Successfully done first two part, for third part did a few substitutions such as h(1-x), h(1/x), but ended up failing to find h(x).

What do you guys reckon my chance of getting in with S,1,2? with a high S in STEP 1, average-ish 1 in STEP 2 and (maybe?) a high 2 in STEP 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kznil)
    What do you guys reckon my chance of getting in with S,1,2? with a high S in STEP 1, average-ish 1 in STEP 2 and (maybe?) a high 2 in STEP 3?
    14 + 8 + 20 + Q5 + 4 + 15 = 61 + Q5, should be a low 1. Even if not, you've got an excellent chance of getting in with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Anyone else here do the FP2 (MEI) exam this morning? It was horrendous honestly never had a harder A level exam
    I did. I actually did the question that was apparently the hardest (Q2) and the rest of it fine but I have doomed myself to failure by being a complete idiot on Q3 (goodbye 18 marks). FP2 has been my favourite paper all year and for some reason I just did an unbelievably obvious stupid thing (I spent 45 mins on it as well).

Oh well, goodbye A* in FM - if I get rejected because of this and I still make my STEP I will just laugh.

p.s. my mess up in q3 was equating (M-lambda(I))v = lambda*v i.e. finding eigenvector. I have found eigenvectors so many times before and never been so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    But yes, on another note it was indeed unlike any other A Level exam I have done before - it seemed as though in Q2 and even Q1 it took longer than normal and required a moment of realization.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.