Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the suggestions

I will talk to my tutor again but at least now i have some ideas! the development of forensic science could be good if i focus on a specific area. And the idea of reliabilty could come into that? good job guys!

Take it from me, regardless you will have to focus on a specific area; I'm spending the most part of 3 years learning forensics. You only have a few thousand words to discuss an argument.

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    thanks! and wow thats really awesome, do you enjoy it because I am considering a future career in forensics?

(Original post by shellcoupland1)
    thanks! and wow thats really awesome, do you enjoy it because I am considering a future career in forensics?
    If you want me to be honest, I'm enjoying some aspects, but the things like crime scene investigation etc I really hate! I only really did this course for the chemistry from an unusual angle. However some of it is very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    hhmmm, yeah I guess some parts could be better than others but then i think i'm doing the chemistry for the forensics instead of the forensics for the chemistry lol
    thanks for all the help

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently studying A levels in maths,chemistry, physics and biology and would like to study pharmacologyy or immunolgy at university. I was thinking of doin the extended project on "The effect of global warming on disease" but wasn't sure if this was too broad and if so what experiment could I do relevant to this?
    Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ACJ~)
    Hi,
    I am currently studying A levels in maths,chemistry, physics and biology and would like to study pharmacologyy or immunolgy at university. I was thinking of doin the extended project on "The effect of global warming on disease" but wasn't sure if this was too broad and if so what experiment could I do relevant to this?
    Thanks for any help
    It is slightly to broad, what specific diseases?
    For you project you could try and contact processors in the relevant field at your local university. Try searching on the internet if there is currently reserach going on as we speak trying to find out if there is a link. Whatever you chose make sure you can write 1000/5000 word essay on the topic

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking maybe malaria, but I wasnt sure if I could write lots about it, thats why I was trying to make it more broad... And thanks that sounds like a good idea to contact uni's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by translucent)
    It is slightly to broad, what specific diseases?
    For you project you could try and contact processors in the relevant field at your local university. Try searching on the internet if there is currently reserach going on as we speak trying to find out if there is a link. Whatever you chose make sure you can write 1000/5000 word essay on the topic
    Also have u got any idea's on how to make it broader? Or any other extended projects subjects I could do that I could involve a science experiment with?
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ACJ~)
    Hi,
    Thanks for any help
    ^5
    I'm doing mine (loosely) on Global warming too

It's nice to have such a popular and current topic

ReputationRep:
    really really really need help.
    if i make a poster what level of detail should it be in?
    also i understand that if you make a poster you have to give in a 1000 word essay, so what has to be on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    ^5
    I'm doing mine (loosely) on Global warming too

It's nice to have such a popular and current topic
    What is the title of urs then??? And I thought it was gud to do it on a current topic too but as I want to study pharmacology I wasn't sure whether it was relevant?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Well I want to study Natural sciences myself, in particular chemsitry, but I'm hoping mine should be a talking point for an interview

"To what extent is CCS (Carbon capture and sequestration) a feasible and effective method of carbon abatement in China relative to Hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messara2)
    really really really need help.
    if i make a poster what level of detail should it be in?
    also i understand that if you make a poster you have to give in a 1000 word essay, so what has to be on that?
    A poster itself might not be enough to get high marks-perhaps create a portfolio, where in it you have brainstorm ideas-draw different ideas. Create pages that have pictures you could use, then pages on fonts and label what effect this has. the 1000 words is the research you did and why you chose the fonts/pictures etc. you did. It's like the 5000 word essay, just condensed-you still need referencing.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of applying to a competitive course would it help that you're doing something related to the course or is it too generic? Would it just be a safer bet to do something you'd enjoy writing about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    Well I want to study Natural sciences myself, in particular chemsitry, but I'm hoping mine should be a talking point for an interview

"To what extent is CCS (Carbon capture and sequestration) a feasible and effective method of carbon abatement in China relative to Hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands."
    Thats what I was hoping my extended project would be to for interviews at uni and God that sounds good, any ideas for perhaps pharmacology based question cos Im still not sure if the idea earlier would be relatable to pharmacology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ACJ~)
    Thats what I was hoping my extended project would be to for interviews at uni and God that sounds good, any ideas for perhaps pharmacology based question cos Im still not sure if the idea earlier would be relatable to pharmacology
    You could always do something along the lines of 'how has pharmacy developed over the ages?'
    One girl did something on how nursing has developed over the ages from the 1500's or even later, and in her presentation she disapeared and came back dressed in the outfit that the nurses would have worn, which was pretty cute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    If you're thinking of applying to a competitive course would it help that you're doing something related to the course or is it too generic? Would it just be a safer bet to do something you'd enjoy writing about?
    Uni's tend to like it if the project title has something to do with the cause you're picking, but you'd definately want it to be on something you enjoy. We spent months thinking about which topic we'd choose, but it's so at the half way through you won't want to change the title. Hopefully you can find something you enjoy and want to do as a course later.
    eg. I'm interested in mental health problems and want to be a phychologist, so I'm doing mine on Bipolar. I enjoy and it should be usefull in interviews(:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ACJ~)
    Well I remember one person in the year above me wanted to be a dentist and she looked at a lot of the big issues in dentistry and the possible future of dentistry in relation to these issues.

with pharmacology I guess there are a lot of ethical issues as well as scientific.
    The NHS could be a good place to start (since pharmacology itself may have a little less to talk about, but the NHS is still important enough to be relevant in an interview I would think) as there is a lot of debate over the future and usage of it and many ethical issues which could be tapped into in an EPQ to show some good evaluation.

I mean any arguments about drug usage could work too. Perhaps an interesting title would be "Can any substance truly be a poison" and argue along the lines that anything in excess is dangerous and tie in the Paracelcus principle.

Then there are case studies like Thalidomide or DDT in which could argue the extent to which drugs are tested, at what point do they become safe and perhaps briefly touch upon animal testing ethics, which is an issue in itself as regards to drug development.

Pharmacology is a growing business and one of the few the UK seems to be doing quite well in. I'm sure with good enough research you should have a very fine project on your hands.

http://voices.yahoo.com/current-issu...y-1279393.html

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that sounds really interesting talking about if all drugs are poisons cos I coud tie in all current issues like paracetamol But also talking about drug testing would be really interesting too so thanks for all your ideas cos I may have to use them....

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.