Turn on thread page Beta

Leeds and Reading Festivals 2009 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Same :lolwut: Kings of Leon were brilliant last night, as were the crowd. In fact, the crowd were great in general this year. Leeds is obviously the shizzle comparatively :p: but that said, tens of thousands of southern fairies can't be wrong, can they? It's got to be reflective of the perfomance. As much as they killed it yesterday, they must have had a major off-day at Reading
    Did they tell you that Reading were *****? Because we got told that we blew the Leeds crowd out of the water by so many bands :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was a CAT at Reading - one of the blue people who wander around the campsites not really doing very much, so that we can get in for free. Was a pretty awesome week.

Best stuff: White Lies, Radiohead, Kaiser Chiefs, Maccabees, Fall Out Boy Streetlight Manifesto, Friendly Fires, and some other stuff we saw bopping around the smaller stages.

Disappointed by Noah and the Whale: I sosososososo wanted to see them, 'cause I loooove their first album but haven't seen them live, but then they only played two songs from it. Kings of Leon was pretty meh obviously. Damn negativity.

Bloc Party was a pretty good warm up for Radiohead (except for the fact that there was a forty minute gap between them while they sorted out the set). Yeah Yeah Yeahs was sounded niiiiiiiice from what we heard. Arctic Monkeys had to share our time with Gossip and whoever was playing in Festival Republic, just because the headliners on Saturday were all... okay.

ReputationRep:
    radiohead-best band of the festival for me. Such a good setlist

ReputationRep:
    ^They didn't play Fake Plastic Trees. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hattie.)
    Did they tell you that Reading were *****? Because we got told that we blew the Leeds crowd out of the water by so many bands :p:
    That never fails to annoy me :p: for example, Bloc Party were buzzing about how this was the first time they'd played Leeds before Reading, then I read on another page how **** we supposedly were in comparison :backstab:

Kaiser Chiefs would never betray us though!

Kings of Leon didn't bring up Reading actually - the first I'd heard of it was on here. I don't know if they spieled the same stuff with you guys ("England made us", thanking us lots for packing the place out etc.) but they were definitely into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    Just read it and you're right. We were kind of in the same area. Some guy even booed Radiohead when they came on >.>

There were too many people standing idly and blocking my view! That pissed me off as I ended up having four very tall guys standing in front of me, and they were talking about random ***** and smoking cigarettes >.>

I think from the people around me, I was the only one singing along to ALL the songs. There was a couple near me who sang to most and a guy who was dancing in his own world lol If he had the space, I reckon he would have given Thom a run for his money. I just followed his example and shut those people out. Radiohead... phwoar! :p:

But it is depressing. I think I might try Leeds next year.
    yeah, it is a bit ****. i would have let you on my shoulders for as long as i could've until i snapped if i were there though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't this Caleb chap (only learnt his name today through people whining) very drunk for Reading? My mate who came on the Sunday said an interview before he looked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    lol @ reading

GUESS WHAT GUYS, I CAUGHT SWINE FLU AT LEEDS :rofl:
    :rofl: some bloke at reading before bloc party had come on stage was coughing in people's faces saying he had swine flu hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Streetlight at Leeds was surpisingly good, at first I thought **** me this is going to be dead but then everyone moved to the front. Surprising amount of fans who knew them well.

Radiohead fans are the worst fans in my opinion, almost as stuck up as Radiohead themselves. They also tend to be pathetically small, if it matters that ******* much bring a box to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    when i saw KOL on tv i said to my mate he looks wasted

ReputationRep:
    Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds
    I'm just home... it was so amazing. Best festival I've been to so far.

Best bands: AFI, Anti-Flag, Rise Against, Glasvegas, Bouncing Souls, King Of Leon... so many more, but those were the best.

Disappointments: Brand New obviously didn't care if they were there or not.

Roll on next year!

ReputationRep:
    The atmosphere at leeds this year was just amazing. People were really getting into all the artists and really having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Basically... I'd rather be at reading than at leeds, i'd rather be at reading than at leads. I'd rather be at reading, i rather be at reading. I'd rather be at reading than at leeds! <--- (sung) Reading this year was ******* beautiful... last night was a bit woah though. espesh as i camped in yellow, pretty much right next to the huge tent bonfire!

ReputationRep:
    I found the atmosphere at Leeds was lacking charm, especially on the main stage. NME was amazing.

I LOVED Lostprophets. Bloc Party, MSTRKRFT, Florence, Friendly Fires, The XX, Gossip and The Maccabees were brilliant too. Enter Shikari and Fightstar were alright, would've been better on another stage.

I was SO disappointed by Radiohead, and Brand New - I was SO looking forward to seeing them and their setlist was crap. Deftones would've been a lot better on a different stage, too.

I lost my camping virginity this weekend, NEVER CAMPING AGAIN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I found the atmosphere at Leeds was lacking charm, especially on the main stage. NME was amazing.

I LOVED Lostprophets. Bloc Party, MSTRKRFT, Florence, Friendly Fires, The XX, Gossip and The Maccabees were brilliant too. Enter Shikari and Fightstar were alright, would've been better on another stage.

I was SO disappointed by Radiohead, and Brand New - I was SO looking forward to seeing them and their setlist was crap. Deftones would've been a lot better on a different stage, too.

haha i love that: "never camping again". was it really that bad? you just need to embrace the filth... haa

ReputationRep:

eww beth ditto :yucky:. and yeah brand new were rubbish tbh

just to clarify, by losing your camping virginity do you mean first time festival sex or first time camping :awesome:

anyway the campsite this year was especially **** - what with the riots and the literal campfires and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nfixlol)
    i would have let you on my shoulders for as long as i could've until i snapped if i were there though
    Aww, that's very sweet of you, but I'm 6 ft tall ^^ I can see that posing a few problems :p:

(Original post by Grape190190)
    ^They didn't play Fake Plastic Trees.
    I know! I was warned that it's rarely played. Ah, well. Maybe next time.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I thought this year was the best yet overall (and I've been the last four years to Reading) - the prodigy were absolutely epic! Also loved florence and the machines and friendly fires (i don't even know them really before I went - just watched them with friends and really got into them)

Wasn't exactly blown away by KoL - not really sure what happened there! Think it was a mix of **** crowd and **** attitude from them. I was quite enjoying myself but it just wasn't quite right...!

Wasn't impressed with all the gas canisters and massive bonfires sunday night either.. big fires are fun and all that, but why do people have to ruin it by burning people's belongings? Seriously.. if they came back and found all their stuff gone I'm pretty sure they'd be upset, so why do it to other people... grrr I hate people who ruin it for everyone else!!

ReputationRep:

:wtf:

Just... :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    This is what KOL said (paraphrased and shortened) that proves they're arrogant prats who blame their audience when their set doesn't go the way they want.
    For those of you who are sick of Kings of Leon, we understand. We get sick of Kings of Leon too. But we worked so hard to get here, so **** you
    That statement is so contradictory (and they definitely said the bits in bold) that it just shows that they are trying to make excuses for the fact they thought they were bad. For a start, if we didn't want to see them why would we be in the crowd?

I thought they were fine up until the point they started acting out. Sure, their set was way too slow overall, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means the crowd isn't going to go wild.... if they'd started out on an upbeat (maybe an well-known oldie like Molly's Chambers) and mixed up the pace a bit more they'd have had the crowd response they'd wanted. Even so, the moment Four Kicks came on the centre and right of centre picked up, mosh pits and all.

In other words, it serves them right for writing two albums in a row full of slow anthems then pandering only to the newer fans who only know those songs plus Sex on Fire. To top it off, their attitude was awful; even before the bassist threw his tantrum (he smashed his guitar, kicked an amp over then gave us the finger as he walked off stage), he just looked bored, in one song he was leaning against the amp, smoking a cigarette and not even looking at what he was playing.

To summarise, they dug their own grave, and I'm glad they redeemed themselves at Leeds. But everyone I know saw through their attempted scapegoating for their own lacklustreness; the general response was "Kings of Leon; WTF were they on about?"

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.