Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    We've just been told we should be at either making progress towards the standard or satisfactory by the end of this placement. I wouldn't worry, you have till the end of the course to meet these standards!

-------

Only two more Monday get ups to go. 2 more weeks of teaching and one study week in school. I am literally counting down the days until Christmas

Posted from TSR Mobile
    14 more school days to go here. Counting down as well. Not that I'm not enjoying it but rather the early daily wake up is hard. Once at school the day flies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    14 more school days to go here. Counting down as well. Not that I'm not enjoying it but rather the early daily wake up is hard. Once at school the day flies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am still enjoying it however with some classes I feel like I'm babysitting rather than teaching them history. But those classes who are genuinely engaged and enjoying the lesson definitely make it worth it.

I've got 11 more school days but only 7 more teaching cause our last week is supposed to be a 'school-based study week' where we write our assignment. A bit odd but there you go!

Just think guys, we've almost made it through possibly the hardest term

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am still enjoying it however with some classes I feel like I'm babysitting rather than teaching them history. But those classes who are genuinely engaged and enjoying the lesson definitely make it worth it.

I've got 11 more school days but only 7 more teaching cause our last week is supposed to be a 'school-based study week' where we write our assignment. A bit odd but there you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I heard that the placement after Xmas is hardest because the workload increases significantly. But either way, it's only as hard as you make it I believe.

Just think, in about 6-7 months we'll be done and possibly even in July-started jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Printed off and sorted all my evidence into a file. Just need to write why I've chosen that evidence for each standard!

At our Uni we've been told that we aren't expected to meet every standard yet as we've only been teaching solo for just over 5 weeks. We should be at least proving we're thinking about each standard though and for some we should have a few pieces of evidence already.

I've managed to get at least something for each standard but not every sub standard. The standards I found I had the least for were T6 (assessment) and T3 (subject knowledge), just found both difficult to prove on paper. Differentiation I know I can do a lot more work on but I have several pieces of evidence for that in my lesson plans and my feedback from teachers.

I found my strongest standards at the moment are T1 (setting a good class atmosphere) and T7 (Behaviour). I'm in a challenging school so inevitably I was going to always have to work really hard on those two so everything else could fall into place. I'm by no means anywhere near the level I want to be at by the end of the course (or NQT year) but I feel I'm making good progress (with the odd mishap of course)

I think for me the first few weeks of teaching I was too caught up in trying to prove too much at once. It's impossible to meet all of the standards in one lesson or even more than 2 or 3 so I've started to make them more focused which is better because you can improve gradually rather than trying to go from D to A in one lesson or one week.

I've started to get to know my classes a bit more, not perfect and I still don't know quite a lot of names but I feel like my relationship is growing with them week by week.

The run up to the Christmas break is going to be a challenge as the kids will all be in bonkers mode but I have two more teaching weeks left (6 days in school) then the last week will be a write off I'm told. I'm not expecting a fantastic first review point but I'd be surprised if I was getting more cause for concerns than making progress (stupidly the only two marks you can be given for each standard at this point).

Not long to go now!

ReputationRep:
    Feel like I'm not cut out for this job anymore. I love the interaction with the kids and the enthusiastic kids make it all worth it.

However half the time I just feel like I'm babysitting. I'm not getting to teach a subject I love, I'm just getting through a lesson and trying to engage them in activities.

I don't know if it's just because we're nearly at the end of the placement but I'm just not enjoying it much. I've made all of these mistakes and I've learnt from them which is great.. But I feel like it's too late to rectify these mistakes at this school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Make the most of school-based study time. If you finish the stuff for your assignment, use it to go and observe other teachers and things! It is like gold

(Original post by Steveluis10)
    Printed off and sorted all my evidence into a file. Just need to write why I've chosen that evidence for each standard!

At our Uni we've been told that we aren't expected to meet every standard yet as we've only been teaching solo for just over 5 weeks. We should be at least proving we're thinking about each standard though and for some we should have a few pieces of evidence already.

I've managed to get at least something for each standard but not every sub standard. The standards I found I had the least for were T6 (assessment) and T3 (subject knowledge), just found both difficult to prove on paper. Differentiation I know I can do a lot more work on but I have several pieces of evidence for that in my lesson plans and my feedback from teachers.

I found my strongest standards at the moment are T1 (setting a good class atmosphere) and T7 (Behaviour). I'm in a challenging school so inevitably I was going to always have to work really hard on those two so everything else could fall into place. I'm by no means anywhere near the level I want to be at by the end of the course (or NQT year) but I feel I'm making good progress (with the odd mishap of course)

I think for me the first few weeks of teaching I was too caught up in trying to prove too much at once. It's impossible to meet all of the standards in one lesson or even more than 2 or 3 so I've started to make them more focused which is better because you can improve gradually rather than trying to go from D to A in one lesson or one week.

I've started to get to know my classes a bit more, not perfect and I still don't know quite a lot of names but I feel like my relationship is growing with them week by week.

The run up to the Christmas break is going to be a challenge as the kids will all be in bonkers mode but I have two more teaching weeks left (6 days in school) then the last week will be a write off I'm told. I'm not expecting a fantastic first review point but I'd be surprised if I was getting more cause for concerns than making progress (stupidly the only two marks you can be given for each standard at this point).

Not long to go now!
    The assessment one does tend to come later; generally courses guide you to figure out the planning a bit first then start to think more about assessment and feed that in to planning. Later on in the year (like summer term) you'll have assessment grids and the like to use

Subject knowledge is hard... most of my evidence for that was passing assignments linked with those subjects. Then lesson plans which show specific considerations - e.g. if you clarify the terminology or calculation method to use in a maths lesson that's evidence of maths subject knowledge. I always find personal and professional conduct hard! On the PGCE it's ok as your tutors/mentors can sign to say you've had good conduct. But in NQT year you're more on your own so it's very hard to find evidence of... how do you prove that you haven't been rude or whatever? Lol.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest you ask your mentor to make a note in observations of things you do to meet those standards if you're struggling to find the evidence.

eg: Uses mini-whiteboards to assess understanding so far - T6
    Mini-plenary - T6
    Pupils given time to look at and respond to feedback in their books - T6

Refers to [aspect of literacy] - T3
    Due to clear explanation of [key concept], most pupils have grasped this quickly - T3.

For T6 I'm sure eventually you'll have more stuff in terms of more formal assessment later on, when you have marked written assessments, exam papers etc. Photocopy one or two examples to use as evidence when you've done them.

Bear in mind not all of your evidence needs to be from school placements. Most of my evidence for T3 came from doing university subject knowledge tasks (we had to peer teach at uni on aspects of French grammar) and assignments. They conveniently related all of our lectures to the standards, so it was easy to go through the list of lectures and add them to our evidence forms (eg: "Attended lecture on assessment for learning - T6").

ReputationRep:
    Feel like I'm not cut out for this job anymore. I love the interaction with the kids and the enthusiastic kids make it all worth it.

However half the time I just feel like I'm babysitting. I'm not getting to teach a subject I love, I'm just getting through a lesson and trying to engage them in activities.

I don't know if it's just because we're nearly at the end of the placement but I'm just not enjoying it much. I've made all of these mistakes and I've learnt from them which is great.. But I feel like it's too late to rectify these mistakes at this school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's why you have 2 placements!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Remember you do have another placement and you are in training so things wont go 100%. However, i imagine that most of this feeling though is a result of end of term tiredness. If you're enjoying the interaction with kids then i would say you are most definitely cut out for this1 There is still time to show what you can do believe in yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling very down . I've had a really good first placement (I'm primary). Great support, great school and although I have been super busy during placement, I've not felt too stressed or that I can't cope or anything and all my observations have been good so I've not had too bad a time at all really.
    Had my last observation for placement this week which went well and I felt on top of the world! Now I'm home I feel utterly rubbish for no reason at all . I'm trying to find the motivation to do essays but at the moment I just can't be bothered and I am home alone and feel like I've got no one to turn to and have a good cry basically!!! Does anyone else feel this way? Am I going mad?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemmylou134)
    Feeling very down . I've had a really good first placement (I'm primary). Great support, great school and although I have been super busy during placement, I've not felt too stressed or that I can't cope or anything and all my observations have been good so I've not had too bad a time at all really.
    Had my last observation for placement this week which went well and I felt on top of the world! Now I'm home I feel utterly rubbish for no reason at all . I'm trying to find the motivation to do essays but at the moment I just can't be bothered and I am home alone and feel like I've got no one to turn to and have a good cry basically!!! Does anyone else feel this way? Am I going mad?!
    I felt like that after my first placement last year. I think mine was because I felt like I'd just settled in and was being dragged out as soon as I'd settled. That, and I kind of felt like I should be planning lessons for the next week because I'd got into that routine. So, I sort of felt a bit lost really. Good thing is, when you get to NQT you don't have to do the whole leaving thing anymore, which is really good because settling in is so much effort haha!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Remember you do have another placement and you are in training so things wont go 100%. However, i imagine that most of this feeling though is a result of end of term tiredness. If you're enjoying the interaction with kids then i would say you are most definitely cut out for this1 There is still time to show what you can do believe in yourself though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemmylou134)
    Even though you didn't feel too stressed you've probably been pushing it aside to power through, plus you'll be very tired. Have a good rest and then do something for you... Read a book, watch a film, see friends. You'll feel better quickly!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, only 2 more weeks to go!

We have a lecture on applying for jobs this week :eek:

Have my assignment done and my evidence file basically done as well for my first review this week in school.

Ive been told by my mentor that when I come back after Christmas and I'm there Monday to Friday I'll just be having the lessons I take now but twice which suits me as I don't need to get to know other classes!

Over the Christmas break I'm going to relax and recharge my batteries so to speak but also going to start writing up covering letters for applications etc. The prospect of interviews scares me but I'm going to try and start applying for jobs some time in January so need to be prepared.

Cant believe I've almost made it to Christmas and when I come back I have 5 more weeks at my first placement then off to the second!

ReputationRep:
    You make me want to curl up in a ball and cry!

I had a lecture on applying for jobs on Friday, but I'll certainly not have time over Christmas to be drafting cover letters.

I'll be too busy trying to write a 5000 word assignment, plan another, start to put more than 5 pieces of evidence in my standards file and get ready for my final assessed placement in January!!

Off to cry into a pillow now!
    (kidding. kind of.)

ReputationRep:
    I've got a 3500 masters assignment to for 15th January as well, so I feel your pain!

However we don't have to teach the last week of term, we have to write our assignment so hopefully I'll get the bulk of it done then!

Only 4 more teaching days left!! I've got some pretty fun lessons planned this week including the same lesson for 3 year 8 classes (made that very easy for me!) in the style of Take Me Out to decide who Elizabeth I should marry. Looking forward to asking for volunteers for that one

ReputationRep:
    I'm in nursery right up until Xmas, plus I have a 5000 wd assignment due first day back but trying to get it done now :/. I'm not in uni again until feb, in nursery until then, 2nd assignment due in march, placement 2 starts in April. Just want the whole thing finished!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Ahh, only 2 more weeks to go!

We have a lecture on applying for jobs this week :eek:

Have my assignment done and my evidence file basically done as well for my first review this week in school.

Ive been told by my mentor that when I come back after Christmas and I'm there Monday to Friday I'll just be having the lessons I take now but twice which suits me as I don't need to get to know other classes!

Over the Christmas break I'm going to relax and recharge my batteries so to speak but also going to start writing up covering letters for applications etc. The prospect of interviews scares me but I'm going to try and start applying for jobs some time in January so need to be prepared.

Cant believe I've almost made it to Christmas and when I come back I have 5 more weeks at my first placement then off to the second!
    How will you be able to write cover letters for jobs when you don't even know the job and person specification?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    I'm in nursery right up until Xmas, plus I have a 5000 wd assignment due first day back but trying to get it done now :/. I'm not in uni again until feb, in nursery until then, 2nd assignment due in march, placement 2 starts in April. Just want the whole thing finished!
    Tomorrow I begin my eighth full consecutive week at school (we had half term early) and I am so tired, drained. It's the waking up at 6.45 everyday that is the hardest part. Gonna miss a day this week though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Tomorrow I begin my eighth full consecutive week at school (we had half term early) and I am so tired, drained. It's the waking up at 6.45 everyday that is the hardest part. Gonna miss a day this week though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's weird how different PGCEs approach it!

The longest consecutive time in school during my whole PGCE was just over 5 weeks for my final placement! I prefered it this way. Although it then means the longer terms of NQT seem longer, but I still preferred to be weaned in. It meant I could keep the support of uni tutors and peers, and could sort it all in to manageable chunks!

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.