Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Birmingham in the FA Cup final was a freak game, we could've easily got silverware that day.
    You mean League Cup final:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    He might have been referring to your progress over the last ten years rather than ten games, but in any case it's the rivalry. Szczesny loves having a spout when it suits him. It's to gain a psychological edge, it didn't work this time for AVB but might in the future.
    From what I recall he was referring to the fact that we would go into a negative spiral after being beaten 2-1. Szczesny can be annoying for some with his comments but in his defence, they've never come back to bite him like AVB's comments are right now. Plus, Szcz's comments annoy Spurs fans (you're lying if you deny that ) and they made AVB respond, so he does it to good effect.

AVB is still a very new as a manager though so it's unfair for anyone to expect him to be great at mindgames/wumming straight away, particularly in England where the pressure can make any manager crack -e.g. Mancini publicly criticising his own players or Rafa basically telling Chelsea fans to piss off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Can that really offset the fact that they've won no trophies in 8 years though?
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    First off congratulations. You've somehow managed to get 4th again! However you really need to invest now in the squad in quite a few areas. The squad is considerably the poorest Arsenal side i can remember and only Koscielny and Cazorla stand out to me now really.

Secondly i made this post on January 3rd.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post40842286

Tottenham are on a similar level to Arsenal now and I believe could take Arsenal's 4th spot this year. It will be very close though, and i think it's going to be a case of one team losing the place rather than claiming it as such. I believe Chelsea will finish comfortably in 3rd with 73-80pts.

Can see Arsenal/Tottenham finishing with 65-73pts. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything below the boundaries would count as a big failure for both teams especially Arsenal and anything above would be fantastic progress.

Everton will get 62-68pts and can see a lack of quality depth and too many draws biting them in the arse.

Liverpool are very hard to predict but could amass as much as 65pts and as little as 55pts. Basically Liverpool would need title challenging form for half a season to be challenging for 70+points, and the squad isn't good enough for that. They would need all 3 challenging clubs to really slip up hard.

That's how i see the race for top 4 anyway. It will be close but can only see Tottenham and Arsenal getting 4th. They have the strongest sides and really should be getting top 5. I would love to see Everton or Liverpool get it though

How I expect the league to pan out:
    1. Man United
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Tottenham
    5. Arsenal
    6. Everton
    7. Liverpool
    After that Stoke, West Brom and Swansea to finish the other top 10 spots much like it is now!

So gauging from what i said there i'm going to put things into perspective and say both Tottenham and Arsenal both performed fantastic seasons amassing more points than last year despite a new manager for Spurs and losing RVP with no real quality replacement for Arsenal. Both huge points i believe why i felt over 73 points would be superb. Both basically on the barrier and thus both successful! Obviously i got it wrong with Arsenal ultimately pipping Spurs but there are such small margins in football, let's face it i said it could go either way, it could easily have done.

Got all the points totals of 3rd-7th correct and 9 of the top 10 correctly guessed, with 6/7 correctly positioned top 7. Do you guys think that is probably why the PL this year was very predictable? I'm inclined to think so, though it almost feels like a good bet in hindsight.

4th place isn't completely ideal for you guys to get back on to my initial point. You still have to qualify and face some of the issues you did in previous seasons such as struggling to attain top targets until quite late after you've qualified properly for example. However i expect you to qualify and much more confident than if it was Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    :facepalm2:
    Care to elaborate? Surely a club of Arsenal's stature should have won a trophy in that time considering the likes of Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea, Portsmouth & Spurs all have.

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate? Surely a club of Arsenal's stature should have won a trophy in that time considering the likes of Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea, Portsmouth & Spurs all have.
    We are in transition, we've had to buy inferior players because of the stadium move.

ReputationRep:
    finally thsi season is over, been pretty crap tbh but am excited for next season, seems like its gonna be a massive transfer window for everyone. Think we need 3 tops signings to elevate the squad and not buy more players the quality of giroud or padolski. Also need to get rid of some of the dead wood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I'm celebrating tbh.
    I ****ing love that kosc gif

ReputationRep:
    We are in transition, we've had to buy inferior players because of the stadium move.
    Don't think that can excuse not winning anything in 8 years though, but hey that's just my opinon, obviously Arsenal fans are going to disagree. I'm happy to listen what they have to say providing it doesn't lead to a massive ill-mannered argument tbh

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't explain losing to bradford, blackburn and birmingham in the domestic cups in recent years. Try again.

ReputationRep:
    Koscielny's celebration was absolutely ridiculous today.

Anyway, well done, all. Very glad to see you back in the top four, and I hope that you can perhaps try and displace City next season.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think that can excuse not winning anything in 8 years though, but hey that's just my opinon, obviously Arsenal fans are going to disagree. I'm happy to listen what they have to say providing it doesn't lead to a massive ill-mannered argument tbh
    Tbh we all want to have won something in the past years but we were willing to let it slide because we are building our new stadium and so weren't great financially thus we were happy by staying near the top each season

I think we should come 2nd in the league next season hopefully but I would cope with third and win a domestic cup be it the fa cup or league cup (would prefer fa but wouldn't mind the league cup)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Koscielny's celebration was absolutely ridiculous today.

Anyway, well done, all. Very glad to see you back in the top four, and I hope that you can perhaps try and displace City next season.
    Think city will come 4th/5th next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think we've overachieved in the league and under achieved in the cups since 2003 (Emirates project beginning). Not surprising though, Wenger always seems to prioritise the league and I think rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    I have new love for Walcott after today. In his post-match interview he said "I didn’t know Spurs had taken the lead. Every game’s important, they did their part. We knew it was in our hands and we knew what we had to do today. I’d like to say it’s a shame [for Tottenham] but it’s not really!"
    Fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I think we've overachieved in the league and under achieved in the cups since 2003 (Emirates project beginning). Not surprising though, Wenger always seems to prioritise the league and I think rightly so.
    Tbh not making the champions league would mean we miss out on a lot of money which we needed so if we didn't make it winning the cup would not have helped and we really would be in a 'negative spiral'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shearer hates Arsenal. Is there a reason for this? He's always very blatant about it, really funny :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Doesn't explain losing to bradford, blackburn and birmingham in the domestic cups in recent years. Try again.
    We have a problem with teams that begin with B (Bayern and Barcelona included)

ReputationRep:
    If the likes of City and Chelsea didn't exist, Arsenal, I'm sure, would have won a trophy by now. Not only do they price arsenal out of top players but they inflate the wages and transfer value of players as well and they assemble teams of of foreign superstars which dominate the league and other competitions. Tbh I thought people would be praising Arsenal for trying to move the club forwards the "proper" way but were mocked for it while Chelsea and City are celebrated for corrupting English football

Edit
    (Original post by jam277)
    Wenger has had to buy inferior players because of the lack of funds. We fielded our strong teams in all those games and still lost because the players aren't good enough in terms of quality and mental strength. I doubt any other manager could do what Wenger has done at arsenal since the staduim move, were lucky to have him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Tbh we all want to have won something in the past years but we were willing to let it slide because we are building our new stadium and so weren't great financially thus we were happy by staying near the top each season

I think we should come 2nd in the league next season hopefully but I would cope with third and win a domestic cup be it the fa cup or league cup (would prefer fa but wouldn't mind the league cup)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok thanks for the reply, I have criticisms for my own team too tbh, I mean I'd prefer us to win trophies without the help of RA's money, don't like some of our fans who treated RB for example, but that doesn't mean I'd stop supporting them & I admire your guys passion for your team as well. I think lack of transfer activity has cost you tbh, & the players you have got haven't had enough quality. I know you've got like big spenders such as us & City but I still don't think that can stop you from constructing a team that's able to compete at the top level, it's not like you're totally short of money. Wenger's stubbornness has been part of a problem but at the same time he's done some great things for your club.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.