Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Great win for the Swiss as they lead 2 - 1 after the doubles (6-3, 7-5, 6-4 against Benneteau/Gasquet) - Stan was especially brilliant today!
    Hope Federer can seal a win tomorrow, otherwise Stan will have to battle Monfils in the deciding rubber.

ReputationRep:
    Having predicted 3-2 to both already I mustn't change my mind again. Doubles was pivotal though, Stans really stood up.

ReputationRep:
    Word on the street is that Tsonga is carrying an elbow injury: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/1...0J60NV20141122

Looks like a good chance then that Federer will seal the deal early tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Jo Willy begged Clemaut not to select him for the doubles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badshah)
    Brilliant from Stan-Roger. They are a great team and Roger already looks better than he did yesterday so he might have a chance against Jo Willy. If not, then Stan will hopefully finish off Monfils. It was a brave decision to play Fed-Stan for the doubles but it turned out to be the right one so huge credit to Swiss DC captain. OTOH, French DC made a huge mistake by playing Gasquet for the doubles. He is clearly not the man for the bigger occasions. Tsonga-Benneteau would have been better. What about Roger Vesilan-Benneteau? This team qualified for the world tour finals and French DC doesn't select them to play the doubles. What a total idiot.
    Should have just thrown Tsonga and Monfils out together and made sure they shouted at the crowd a lot. Guaranteed chaos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Should have just thrown Tsonga and Monfils out together and made sure they shouted at the crowd a lot. Guaranteed chaos.
    Tsonga was meant to play doubles with Benneteau but apparently he decided to pull out an hour before the match.

ReputationRep:
    Tsonga replaced by Gasquet. Federer takes the first set 6-4.

Switzerland just 2 sets away from that Davis Cup Title.

ReputationRep:
    Federer def. Gasquet 6-4, 6-2, 6-2.
    Switzerland WIN the Davis Cup!

Congrats to Wawrinka and Federer.

ReputationRep:
    GOAT keeps adding to his legacy. Congrats to Switzerland. I can't wait for 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Great win for Switzerland and the perfect way for Wawrinka and Federer to cap a brilliant year! Although most of the focus will be on Federer's achievement Stan's performance was instrumental in the victory so it was very classy of Federer to acknowledge that

ReputationRep:
    Who else can claim to being the GOAT other than Federer? He's now basically won everything there is in the game of tennis and set plenty of records which may never be broken.

His peak was phenomenal but such a long and successful tennis career is unheard of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Who else can claim to being the GOAT other than Federer? He's now basically won everything there is in the game of tennis and set plenty of records which may never be broken.

His peak was phenomenal but such a long and successful tennis career is unheard of?
    The only problem is Nadal made him his *****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never really see the relevance of that though - despite that, he's won more than anyone else. I don't think it's intrinsically worse to have lots of losses to one particular player compared to spreading out your losses against a variety of players.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair as well, the results are somewhat flattered by half the matches being on clay.

If take the Ausi, French, Wimbledon and Masters Cup/WTF as representing all surfaces equally then Fed has 66% on grass and 80% on indoor hard over Nadal. The final slam/season end totals end up only as 63.5/36.5% to Nadal.

ReputationRep:
    Federer H2H against Nadal after the French Open is 6-3 in Roger's favour and two of those loses for Roger came in 2013, definitely his worst year on tour. So you can see why Nadal has such a lopsided H2H against Federer. I would take Federer's career over Nadal in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    That is quite possibly the only stat that seems to go against Fed (and perhaps the OSG). Still the most complete resume I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nadal will go down as the greatest player on clay surface of all time. Others have pointed out that Nadal didn't dominate Federer on all the other surfaces.

Who are you saying is the GOAT if not Federer? I don't think Nadal has dominated as much overall to be called the GOAT and Nadal himself has been dominated by Federer and Djokovic at various times on other surfaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Nadal will go down as the greatest player on clay surface of all time. Others have pointed out that Nadal didn't dominate Federer on all the other surfaces.

Who are you saying is the GOAT if not Federer? I don't think Nadal has dominated as much overall to be called the GOAT and Nadal himself has been dominated by Federer and Djokovic at various times on other surfaces.
    Don't get me wrong, it has to be Federer as no one's CV comes close. I just find it hard to say that one player is the greatest of all time when every time they face a player they are guaranteed to lose. It's like saying hypothetically Real Madrid is the greatest team of all time but they lost 6 times in one season to the eventual winners of la liga but overall they've won more. But every time they face Barcelona they get battered and are guaranteed to lose. Are they really the greatest? Or Mike Tyson is the greatest boxer but he lost 5 times in a row to lennox lewis who is also his rival. Can Mike tyson then still be said to be the greatest? Is Federer really the greatest?. Even when Nadal and Federer are equal in ability, Nadal's mental strength is far superior to Federers and that alone ensures his victory.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong, it has to be Federer as no one's CV comes close. I just find it hard to say that one player is the greatest of all time when every time they face a player they are guaranteed to lose. It's like saying hypothetically Real Madrid is the greatest team of all time but they lost 6 times in one season to the eventual winners of la liga but overall they've won more. But every time they face Barcelona they get battered and are guaranteed to lose. Are they really the greatest? Or Mike Tyson is the greatest boxer but he lost 5 times in a row to lennox lewis who is also his rival. Can Mike tyson then still be said to be the greatest? Is Federer really the greatest?. Even when Nadal and Federer are equal in ability, Nadal's mental strength is far superior to Federers and that alone ensures his victory.
    It was only really on clay that Nadal dominated Federer. Others have shown the statistics that Nadal didn't dominate Federer on grass/hard court.

The only thing Nadal really did was stop Federer from having another 3-5 grand slams on his CV.

ReputationRep:
    Even when Nadal and Federer are equal in ability, Nadal's mental strength is far superior to Federers and that alone ensures his victory.
    Based on what? I wouldn't say any tennis player has "far superior" mental strength to Federer. The players at the top all have great mental strength - that's why they're consistently at the top.

You can't win 17 slams without being very mentally strong.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.