Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    Ah I see, did you manage to include your extenuating circumstances in your application? I think as long as you ace the MAT and interview, they might overlook those grades anyway because you're showing your hardworking plus you're predicted amazing grades and you can show off all your skills at interview!

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Econ. I got 5As last year and I'm predicted A*A*A*A this year with 12A*s 2As at GCSE.

Mine still hasn't been sent off yet :eek: So many of my friends have got Warwick offers already!
    Yeah! I got my reference to explain, briefly, the situation and also called up the admissions tutor to let them know beforehand. Hopefully!!!! That's exactly the thought process I have, hence why the MAT is of the utmost importance for me. :eek:

Wow, your grades insane! 12A*s at GCSE is incredible, well done! :yep:

Ah, fair enough, I read that you sent it off to your school already - shouldn't be much longer. Yeah, I've heard similar things as well - no news yet for me though. Ooh, we're applying to 3 of the same unis haha! Bristol, Warwick and Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    My username is misleading, yeah xD I applied for medicine :lol:

Thank you have you sent yours off?
    Not yet, hopefully by the end of the week though!

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether you think it would be an issue if a person from my school was applying to the same college as me (Hertford) to do PPE where I am applying to do E&M. Whilst not the same course, I think there is some overlap on the economics side of things. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by skylake)
    I was just wondering whether you think it would be an issue if a person from my school was applying to the same college as me (Hertford) to do PPE where I am applying to do E&M. Whilst not the same course, I think there is some overlap on the economics side of things. Thanks.
    It's fine, even if you were applying for the same course it wouldn't be a problem (in the sense that it wouldn't affect your chances of getting in).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    I guess if they gave out a few offers and you were one of those offer-holders, it'd feel pretty good! :lol:

When your's LNAT exam? Do you have in mind where you would firm/insure if you got all your offers?

I have STEP for Warwick, Bath and Bristol's 'alternative' offers! But they're next summer, so we'll see have to how prep for that goes
    Indeed you would feel good!

My LNAT is next Wednesday, the same day as my Law mock interview that has been organised by my school, so Wednesday is going to be a hectic day!

If by some miracle I got all 5 offers, I would put Oxford first, then Durham/Bristol, then Warwick, then LSE. I've visited all but LSE and liked all 4 of them, but LSE's course looks really interesting so if I get an offer I'll make an effort to go and look around.

Do you mean that STEP isn't compulsory, but would potentially get you a lower offer if you do well in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    This is the faculty's response to it -

About 10% of successful candidates are given places for deferred entry, and all colleges are willing to make such offers. Colleges are generally prepared to offer a deferred place to any candidate worthy of an undeferred place, but they usually do not offer more than one or two deferred places per subject, in order not to disadvantage the following year's candidates. Some applicants for deferred entry may either be offered an undeferred place or encouraged to apply again the following year. If a second college is willing to offer a deferred place to a candidate who wants one when the first-choice college offers only an undeferred place, the offer of a deferred place has precedence. But do bear in mind that it is crucial, if you are applying for a language-based course, to have a plan for how you will maintain your linguistic skills between leaving school and starting at university.
    Very helpful but at what point does one declare one's intentions?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by skylake)
    Not at all - dw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Same as your grades, then somehow bombed my Scottish Advanced Highers - BCD. With the C and D being coursework anomilies as I got 80% and 95% in the written exams. On track for A*A*A in A-level Maths, Further Maths and Economics, all of which I'm doing in a year.

Dunno how GCSEs translate, something like 3A*s, 5 As.

Likewise, I just hope I can do well enough in the MAT to get an interview, probably won't get one with what I have though.

(I do have extenuating circumstances for the prior performance however)
    I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I have AAAA (Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry) in AS - but only 1A*10A at GCSE (A* In Maths). A*A*A*A* predictions for A2. Applying for Mathematics at St.Johns so I really need to ace the MAT. I've got 90+ on a few papers, marked by my tutor, I found I can boost my score dramatically by doing the multiple choice first, then Q2, Q5, then choose which out of Q3/Q4 looks the easiest, do that (maybe skip the last part or give an incomplete solution, 3/5 marks maybe - if its hard) then finish off the remaining question if I have time - or atleast do the easy parts of it. Aiming to secure atleast 32 in the MC, 10-15 on Q2, 10-15 on Q5, 10-15 on Q3 and <10 on Q4 (or vice versa for Q3/Q4). That should secure me a score of atleast 70, I have never scored below 70 so I'm confident I can get that. Then need to aim to get 80+ due to my poor GCSE grades. Should get me an interview, then I need to really impress them there!

ReputationRep:
    So I found a table of applications and acceptances into Oxford by school:http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-...s-apply-centre

Try and find yours or any in your area - it's quite interesting! I live not too far away from Harrow boys school and out of 131 applicants, 29 got in! 0 for my school though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    So I found a table of applications and acceptances into Oxford by school:http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-...s-apply-centre

Try and find yours or any in your area - it's quite interesting! I live not too far away from Harrow boys school and out of 131 applicants, 29 got in! 0 for my school though
    My school has a 33% success rate with 46 people having applied, I guess that's pretty good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    My school has a 33% success rate with 46 people having applied, I guess that's pretty good!
    Luckily Oxford contextualise your application with your school history so I should be okay! In the year that data was taken (2013) two applied from my school, we had one successful applicant for Law last year though!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else applying for chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Luckily Oxford contextualise your application with your school history so I should be okay! In the year that data was taken (2013) two applied from my school, we had one successful applicant for Law last year though!
    History is the one my school get most people in for, and the last 3 or 4 head girls have all gone off to read History at Oxford, but we haven't got anyone in for Law in years, which is kind of scary as that's what I'm applying for!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am a student who came from hong kong and study in uk from year 12 so i didnt take the GCSE
    I got 4As in AS (maths physics chemistry further maths chinese) and got predicted 3A* for physics chemistry maths and A for further Maths.
    Is it worth to apply for law in oxford? I am planning to apply to St Catherine College, is it a very competitive college? Since I saw that they offer almost 10 places for students to do law in year 1 so I think many people will apply for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himeandme)
    Hi
    I am a student who came from hong kong and study in uk from year 12 so i didnt take the GCSE
    I got 4As in AS (maths physics chemistry further maths chinese) and got predicted 3A* for physics chemistry maths and A for further Maths.
    Is it worth to apply for law in oxford? I am planning to apply to St Catherine College, is it a very competitive college? Since I saw that they offer almost 10 places for students to do law in year 1 so I think many people will apply for it.
    Out of curiosity, why Law? You have a science flush at A2 so lacking an essay subject like History or English Lit mightn't bode too well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Very helpful but at what point does one declare one's intentions?
    Pretty sure there's a bit on your ucas form (I think for each uni?) where you can choose between normal or deferred entry if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Pretty sure there's a bit on your ucas form (I think for each uni?) where you can choose between normal or deferred entry if I remember correctly.
    Ahh yes, UCAS form.

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    Aaah I see! That's pretty sweet!
    English Lit, Drama, Art and Film, though I've dropped Film at A2. I got AAAA and predicted A*A*A*
    I've justified my choices and explained how they've supported English in my PS, but I wouldn't blame them if they saw my subjects and didn't bother
    Ah well I did History, English and Media so lets see what they say . But the other day a lecturer from Brasenose said it really doesn't matter as long as the subject is 50% exam. She gave drama as an example and said it was a great subject to choose to complement a-level.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give any guidance considering ucas references. What should I tell my form tutor to focus on, should be different in anyways because it is Oxford? I don't think he knows anything about it ( I am a post a2 applicant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Can anyone give any guidance considering ucas references. What should I tell my form tutor to focus on, should be different in anyways because it is Oxford? I don't think he knows anything about it ( I am a post a2 applicant)
    http://oxundergrad.s3-website-us-eas...references.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.