Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No player has made more errors that have led directly to a goal in the last 3 PL seasons than Mignolet, with eight mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    No player has made more errors that have led directly to a goal in the last 3 PL seasons than Mignolet, with eight mistakes.
    The most frustrating thing is that he doesn't need a new contract just yet. He reportedly signed a 5 year contract when he first joined so his contract runs until summer 2018.

So he's still got 2.5 years left on his current contract and NO ONE will be trying to poach him from us. For most quality players, I'd agree with getting them to sign a new contract at this point. For example if Coutinho had 2.5 years left, we'd all be shouting till we were red in the face to get him a new deal.

We really should wait till the summer after Klopp's seem him for a full season. He's not going to lose any value by then and then we can make an informed decision as to whether we sell (can sell for a decent price when 2 years left but not too expensive to shift if we can't find a buyer) or we can give him a new contract if he's improved.

The only logically answer is that Mignolet is blackmailing Ian Ayre and therefore getting a new contract
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    The only logically answer is that Mignolet is blackmailing Ian Ayre and therefore getting a new contract
    That explains it all.

Meanwhile, this was two years ago today.

Hope we see Flanagan back soon.

ReputationRep:
    That explains it all.

Meanwhile, this was two years ago today.

Hope we see Flanagan back soon.
    Honestly don't know what else it could be. Agreed if he only had 1.5 years left on his contract so we needed something signed soon but 2.5 years is plenty to delay till the summer.

I'm not sure I can handle Mignolet for a few more years..

Will we ever see a similar Flanagan again? Obviously he didn't rely on pace or anything so maybe being out of the game for so long won't affect those attributes but most often the player returns not quite the same..

ReputationRep:
    Clearly we're bricking it about another club snapping him up...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lovren ruled out for a month confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    Lovren ruled out for a month confirmed.
    That's really annoying.

Not saying Lovren is amazing but he was looking as good as he's ever been under us. Same with Sakho before he got injured.

So now it's just Toure and Skrtel?

I know United are complaining about their injuries but when you break it down, we've probably had one of the worst runs of injury.
    Gomez and Ings in particular looked really promising this season and although they aren't "key" players, they would've been great additions to our squad over the year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    The most frustrating thing is that he doesn't need a new contract just yet. He reportedly signed a 5 year contract when he first joined so his contract runs until summer 2018.

So he's still got 2.5 years left on his current contract and NO ONE will be trying to poach him from us. For most quality players, I'd agree with getting them to sign a new contract at this point. For example if Coutinho had 2.5 years left, we'd all be shouting till we were red in the face to get him a new deal.

We really should wait till the summer after Klopp's seem him for a full season. He's not going to lose any value by then and then we can make an informed decision as to whether we sell (can sell for a decent price when 2 years left but not too expensive to shift if we can't find a buyer) or we can give him a new contract if he's improved.

I just don't understand it. With a deal until 2018 already, it makes no sense. The only possible explanation is that we're safeguarding the money for when we sell him, but as you say, we've got THREE years left on the contract.

My biggest worry is that he is massively anxious at Anfield. He doesn't seem to be so bad on the road, and he exacerbates the crowd's anxiety during our home matches. You hear the crowd murmuring when the opposition attack at Anfield, and you hear it when we concede a set piece or Skrtel dives in or Lovren backs off.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand it. With a deal until 2018 already, it makes no sense. The only possible explanation is that we're safeguarding the money for when we sell him, but as you say, we've got THREE years left on the contract.

My biggest worry is that he is massively anxious at Anfield. He doesn't seem to be so bad on the road, and he exacerbates the crowd's anxiety during our home matches. You hear the crowd murmuring when the opposition attack at Anfield, and you hear it when we concede a set piece or Skrtel dives in or Lovren backs off.
    Not sure what he has done to justify a pay rise either. His reputation would probably put him in the 5 worst GKs in the Premier League currently.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...ovren-10601855

Lovren out for approx 3 weeks.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...o-set-10589984

Sakho could be back for Watford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    Thoughts on this comment lads?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post60467429
    But are the two teams challenging?

Lel @ failed shots. Need to practise lad.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    ****ing hell
    Not sure the system for rating it is the most effective, though. They've got Can down as making five errors which directly led to goals this season so far, two more than Mignolet, and the most in the PL.

For what it's worth, I thought Can was excellent this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure the system for rating it is the most effective, though. They've got Can down as making five errors which directly led to goals this season so far, two more than Mignolet, and the most in the PL.

For what it's worth, I thought Can was excellent this weekend.
    I can remember at least 3 from Can and I've missed a game or two this year (or fallen asleep half way through, like on Sunday), so I'm not sure we can blame the stats.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I do think something needs to be done about Milner, too. He was quietly effective in the early stages of the season, despite getting some stick, and then played some of his best matches for us in the early away days under Klopp.

This weekend, and since the City trip in general, he seems to be doing far too much. He is almost being burdened with doing plenty of other players' roles, due to his experience and supposed jack of all trades nature.

ReputationRep:
    Yh I remember Can making goal conceding errors against Everton, Palace, Villa but he has improved and has age on his side so his errors are forgivable.

Same can't be said for Mignolet, worried that he's getting a contract extension. Klopp seems to have a lot of faith in him, someone should make him watch all the blunders he made for the past 2 seasons. The worst thing is that his mistakes are potentially contagious to the 4 infront of him no matter how good they are, we will never be good at defending set pieces until he can prove to his team mates that they can count on him.

Not too worried about our defending in open play though as Klopp has improved on that aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Leicester won't sell them, certainly not in January. Their owners are loaded and their players will be on good wages. Everyone else has had scores of injuries though whereas Leicester are settled, it was the same with West Ham last year who were 4th at Christmas and ended up like 12th.

I think Leicester will be competing for 6th with Palace, Everton, Stoke and Chelsea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LCFC will be in the top 4, these guys dont look like giving up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    Same can't be said for Mignolet, worried that he's getting a contract extension. Klopp seems to have a lot of faith in him, someone should make him watch all the blunders he made for the past 2 seasons. The worst thing is that his mistakes are potentially contagious to the 4 infront of him no matter how good they are, we will never be good at defending set pieces until he can prove to his team mates that they can count on him.
    I think there's definitely a case for saying Mignolet exacerbates our defensive frailty. You can feel the tension when we defend set pieces from the crowd, and it's all to do with the goalkeeper rather than Skrtel/Lovren's perceived failings. Sure enough, I don't think our centre-backs are top class when Sakho isn't around, but they are obviously scared stiff of having Mignolet, who is culpable for so many mistakes, behind them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35118953

Even Spus will have a 61k capacity stadium in a few years.

We really missed the boat on having a big stadium. We'll always be way behind on stadium revenues against Man Utd, Man City (in the future when they start charging higher prices), Arsenal, Chelsea (new expansion) and Spurs (new expansion).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hm. Interesting:

Liverpool goals without Benteke in the side: 15
    Liverpool goals with Benteke in the side: 7

Obvious change of approach when he's on the pitch, too. In the eight league matches under Klopp which Benteke started (four) we averaged 27.25 crosses per match, up from 16.25 without him.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. Interesting:

Liverpool goals without Benteke in the side: 15
    Liverpool goals with Benteke in the side: 7

Obvious change of approach when he's on the pitch, too. In the eight league matches under Klopp which Benteke started (four) we averaged 27.25 crosses per match, up from 16.25 without him.
    I don't think he offers enough as a forward for our team in how we play?

You look at Coutinho and Lallana (even Firmino to an extent) and they all want to slip the ball in. Benteke doesn't have that fast acceleration to offer the types of runs that Sturridge or even Ings would make.

If we want to get the best out of Benteke, I wonder if we'd have to revert to a 4-4-2? Maybe we should be looking at how Everton get the most out of Lukaku? Seems to be that they have a goal scorer in Barkley to play behind him whereas we're lacking that.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.