Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    i never understood you british college kids going 'i just got offer from XXX so just waiting on YYY'.

is QM the one with the graveyard beside the law school?

i really don't see any significant difference between your remaining 3 choices. I'll go for QMUL if i were you. Only cos QMUL sounds nice than say Bristol or Durham. im surprised you were rejected by LSE given that you scored 44 for your IB. what do you think made you not get an offer from LSE?
    I'll copy what they said in their rejection email haha.
    It's about my PS but they never said specifically which part went wrong.

The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as consequence of your personal statement. As competition for places at LSE is intense, the Personal Statement is considered carefully when deciding whether to make an offer. Your personal statement, when compared to those of similar applicants, was not sufficiently convincing to be offered a place.

Another odd thing is that one of the mature girls' college in Cambridge (not the one I applied to ) wrote me an email encouraging me to re-apply to their college next year cuz they couldn't offer me a place this year( probably cuz I'm not 21 yet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiyi)
    Hi, I am an international student and completed my high school in Singapore.
    Took my IB last November and got 44 (which satisfies all conditions I think)

Submitted my UCAS in September.
    Rejected by LSE (November) and Cambridge (after interview and Law test in Singapore)

Took my LNAT on 11 December and got 32.

Got offers from:
    QMUL in December
    Bristol on 17 December
    Durham on 17 February

So now it's the time for decision. Could anyone please share some advice on choosing the right school? I don't really have the chance to experience the schools myself and would love to know the atmosphere and job prospective. Since I'm an international student, I guess the school's international recognition is also my consideration.

Thanks a lot~
    I'm Singaporean too and I know quite a number of people (singaporean, specifically) who went to Bristol, and their friend circle literally comprises of Singaporeans only. Which if you're interested in, go ahead, but ultimately it's your decision really. I'd say go for Durham or QM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfradkin)
    Thanks for the alternate perspective, maybe Bristol ends up great after all. Depending on whether I get Nottingham or not, I'll visit the UK during spring break as I'm international.
    This will give you an idea of what Bristol is like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    This will give you an idea of what Bristol is like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8
    This is just an advert for the university, so there wasn't much clarity of what bristol is like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvchan)
    I'm Singaporean too and I know quite a number of people (singaporean, specifically) who went to Bristol, and their friend circle literally comprises of Singaporeans only. Which if you're interested in, go ahead, but ultimately it's your decision really. I'd say go for Durham or QM!
    HAHA thanks for the info but I'm not Singaporean.
    However I am thinking about coming back to Singapore for work after uni. Do you happen to know how the employers in SG think of the graduates from Bristol/Durham/QM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiyi)
    HAHA thanks for the info but I'm not Singaporean.
    However I am thinking about coming back to Singapore for work after uni. Do you happen to know how the employers in SG think of the graduates from Bristol/Durham/QM?
    OH oops
    I did an internship at a law firm and basically my mentor didnt really mention much but if it helps he says that during your pupillage your Uni doesn't really matter (as Long as its approved which all three of your choices are.)
    It's more of the skills displayed/qualities you have and etc ie in Rajah and Tann LLP a friend of mine went to NUS and she got the job over an Oxford graduate. So it really depends I think. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to have an offer from Bristol and I'm just chilling waiting on a reply. Don't you think they would've given out most of their offers by now?? I applied November 4th, sat LNAT 18th December and got 27. If they wanted me they would've given me an offer by now lol

ReputationRep:
    My ucl just changed to currently being processed by admissions? What does it mean and how long will it take? 😬

ReputationRep:
    Everyone that has applied to KCL in December seem to be getting offers/rejections now...Does that mean students that applied in January will be hearing from them soon too or?

ReputationRep:
    Waiting on Exeter, did anyone get a response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR_898)
    Everyone that has applied to KCL in December seem to be getting offers/rejections now...Does that mean students that applied in January will be hearing from them soon too or?
    I applied in January a few days before the deadline and I got an offer last friday, I think it just depends on whether or not they've actually made a decision with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR_898)
    They sent out a huge chunk of offers and rejections last Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    I applied in early October and got an Exeter offer November 16th good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmicsparrow)
    Everyone seems to have an offer from Bristol and I'm just chilling waiting on a reply. Don't you think they would've given out most of their offers by now?? I applied November 4th, sat LNAT 18th December and got 27. If they wanted me they would've given me an offer by now lol
    Is your surname at the beginning or end of alphabet? I have a theory that Bristol are giving the majority of offers out alphabetically as all my friends who have had offers were given them in alphabetical order...5 people😳 I'm at the end of alphabet and still waiting, applied October 13th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, has anyone applied to Leeds for law? I haven't come across anyone who has applied to Leeds let alone receive an offer. Is it good for law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trad1998)
    Is your surname at the beginning or end of alphabet? I have a theory that Bristol are giving the majority of offers out alphabetically as all my friends who have had offers were given them in alphabetical order...5 people😳 I'm at the end of alphabet and still waiting, applied October 13th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm an 'S' hmmmmm maybe!!! Hopefully that's the case!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aayushk)
    Hey, has anyone applied to Leeds for law? I haven't come across anyone who has applied to Leeds let alone receive an offer. Is it good for law?
    I applied to Leeds! Received an offer after a week and a half. Not really considering it atm but gonna visit next week! It's a good uni, yes, but there are better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    I applied Nov 4th, and received an offer December 21st!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmicsparrow)
    I'm an 'S' hmmmmm maybe!!! Hopefully that's the case!!
    I'm a T so maybe my theory is correct! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOP97)
    AS/GCSE's?
    GCSEs: 2 A*, 5 A, 2 B and 1 C
    AS: ABCD (I also already have A Level Polish at grade B)

(Original post by xAssassin786)
    I'm still waiting for Nottingham too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are taking so long, but it's reassuring to see that a lot of people are still waiting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.